Audio pause/resume delay

TwentyHourDrive

TwentyHourDrive

Hello, 

This is my first forum post so I apologize if I am posting incorrectly. 

Anyway, I have noticed a bug/issue with the official Emby app on the Apple TV 4 with Homepods connected. It is a very specific issue related to audio delay/continuous playback. It can be reproduced by watching a video and pressing the pause button. Pressing pause will cause the audio to continue to play for 1-2 seconds - the video pauses immediately. Upon hitting resume, the video resumes instantly, but the audio doesn't start for the same amount of time it continued to play. (1-2 seconds) 

The audio/video remains in sync when this happens, but the delay is very noticeable and extremely annoying. Other apps on the apple TV do not exhibit this behavior (I have tested Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Crave, Plex, and Infuse). Additionally, the Emby app only exhibits this delay if a homepod is present. Disconnecting the HomePods will remove any audio pause/resume delay. 

I am running the latest version of Emby for Apple TV, the Apple TV has been fully updated, and the firmware of the homepod(s) has been updated as well. 

Any assistance or ideas on how to troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!  

vdatanet

I also noticed this using MPV player, using native player, audio is in sync, when you press pause audio and video pause at the same time.

TwentyHourDrive
19 hours ago, vdatanet said:

I also noticed this using MPV player, using native player, audio is in sync, when you press pause audio and video pause at the same time.

Could you explain the difference between the MPV player (what is that?) and the native player? How do you check which player is being used? Is that something that can be customized?

vdatanet
7 minutes ago, TwentyHourDrive said:

Could you explain the difference between the MPV player (what is that?) and the native player? How do you check which player is being used? Is that something that can be customized?

You can enable/disable MPV player in Settings - Playback - Enable MPV Player (Default = Enabled). Remember to restart the app after changing this value.

The MPV player supports more formats in direct playback. The native player is more limited, but if it can play your media, it may work better. I use the native player.

The biggest limitation of the native player is that Emby does not support HLS using fMP4, this makes direct streaming MKV HEVC impossible and a full transcode is required.

I take this opportunity to claim that Emby supports HLS fMP4, in the same way that Plex and Jellyfin do. 😃

• 2 years later...
On 27/09/2021 at 15:38, TwentyHourDrive said:

Hello, 

This is my first forum post so I apologize if I am posting incorrectly. 

Anyway, I have noticed a bug/issue with the official Emby app on the Apple TV 4 with Homepods connected. It is a very specific issue related to audio delay/continuous playback. It can be reproduced by watching a video and pressing the pause button. Pressing pause will cause the audio to continue to play for 1-2 seconds - the video pauses immediately. Upon hitting resume, the video resumes instantly, but the audio doesn't start for the same amount of time it continued to play. (1-2 seconds) 

The audio/video remains in sync when this happens, but the delay is very noticeable and extremely annoying. Other apps on the apple TV do not exhibit this behavior (I have tested Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Crave, Plex, and Infuse). Additionally, the Emby app only exhibits this delay if a homepod is present. Disconnecting the HomePods will remove any audio pause/resume delay. 

I am running the latest version of Emby for Apple TV, the Apple TV has been fully updated, and the firmware of the homepod(s) has been updated as well. 

Any assistance or ideas on how to troubleshoot this further would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!  

Hello, did you ever resolve this?

I just purchased an Homepod Mini today and Emby is the only app that has a delay when pausing/unpausing...

3 hours ago, TariqK said:

Hello, did you ever resolve this?

I just purchased an Homepod Mini today and Emby is the only app that has a delay when pausing/unpausing...

Re: 

• 2 months later...
Jonathan1683

I notice my audio gets of of sync a lot when pausing on my apple tv, it might not be related to homepod because i don't use that.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Stupidio

Same. If I pause content with the latest ATV app + latest Server app and then resume a few minutes later it will do one of two things.

1. refuse to resume, permanent pause state until I back out

2. start to go out of sync and actually repeat segments of the content randomly

12 hours ago, Stupidio said:

Same. If I pause content with the latest ATV app + latest Server app and then resume a few minutes later it will do one of two things.

1. refuse to resume, permanent pause state until I back out

2. start to go out of sync and actually repeat segments of the content randomly

@Stupidio

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!