Which TV Brand (UK)?

MB Rich

I've currently got Emby set up and running nicely through on one TV (Emby Theater on a connected PC) and another LG TV (native app).

I'm now looking to get another TV for a new room and wanted the easiest possible install / use.  The current LG app works okay for me, but some media has audio issues and some of my h265 content has problems, but it's quite an old TV now (2015) and so I assume a lot of those issues would no longer apply.  I'm also pretty much dead against having any extra hardware (e.g. streaming stick, Shield etc.) and would rather the whole thing runs through the TV / TV remote.

I've seen issues with some brands not having the app available in the store, or requiring a side-load of the app from USB every 30 days.  I'd be keen to avoid all of this.

I'm mostly currently looking at Samsung and LG TVs, and nothing particularly high end (probably looking to spend no more than £700 for up to 55" or so).

So is the Emby app available in the store for both Samsung and LG at the minute in the UK and is this the case for all OS (IIRC there's an issue with the latest version of WebOS?)?

Edited by MB Rich

1 minute ago, MB Rich said:

So is the Emby app available in the store for both Samsung and LG at the minute in the UK and is this the case for all OS (IIRC there's an issue with the latest version of WebOS?)?

Another option is a cheaper TV and buying an Nvidia Shield and use the Android TV (ATV) app.

Or, buy a TV that runs the Android OS and use the ATV app.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, MB Rich said:

I've seen issues with some brands not having the app available in the store, or requiring a side-load of the app from USB every 30 days.  I'd be keen to avoid all of this.

That goes for Samsung USB-install, if one's outside US/UK/Ireland, you should be okay there. 

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

Tbh, I'd say go with either and buy a Shield, as AndroidTV app tops both of those. But of course, that's just a personal preference. 

Edit: Cross-posted, I guess. 

Edited by GrimReaper
X-post
  • Like 1

So if I were to get something like a Philips 58PUS8555 (which is listed as having Android) is that sufficient for a decent Emby experience, or are there different versions with better / worse performance?

As I've said, I'd really rather avoid a separate box like a Shield if I can.

GrimReaper

I've got a Philips OLED804 and experience has been mostly very good, and occasionally excellent (though not as stellar as with Shield). 

Looking at that PUS8555 specs, it lists DV/HDR10+ and Dolby Atmos, so I'd say you'd be covered pretty good there. Of course, can't judge about overall performance and/or interface slugishness (or lack of), you might wanna go to some store and check-it out firsthand. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

17 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I've got a Philips OLED804 and experience has been mostly very good, and occasionally excellent (though not as stellar as with Shield). 

Looking at that PUS8555 specs, it lists DV/HDR10+ and Dolby Atmos, so I'd say you'd be covered pretty good there. Of course, can't judge about overall performance and/or interface slugishness (or lack of), you might wanna go to some store and check-it out firsthand. 

Thanks, I quite like the idea of Ambilight and beyond wanting a responsive UI, I'm not really much of a power user (most of my content is plain old 1080p, not 4K, not HDR) so sounds like I'd be pretty good.

Hopefully the UI can't be that bad on a modern TV given that I'm fairly happy with the six year old cheap LG.

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, MB Rich said:

Thanks, I quite like the idea of Ambilight

Ambilight is great stuff, wait till you get playing with all the modes. 

2 minutes ago, MB Rich said:

beyond wanting a responsive UI, I'm not really much of a power user (most of my content is plain old 1080p, not 4K, not HDR) so sounds like I'd be pretty good.

Hopefully the UI can't be that bad on a modern TV

It surely won't be, those are finesses I was referencing. You should be really good with that choice. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Just to follow up on this, I bought a Philips 58PUS9006 which runs Android TV and paired it with a Sonos Beam (gen 2) so only using the one (standard Phillips) remote for everything.

Zero problems with the set-up and Emby passes through Dolby Atmos audio to the Sonos and HDR / 4K content to the TV perfectly well.

Would definitely recommend.

• Like 1

gillmacca01
On 9/27/2021 at 12:43 PM, GrimReaper said:

That goes for Samsung USB-install, if one's outside US/UK/Ireland, you should be okay there. 

https://emby.media/emby-for-samsung-smart-tv.html

Tbh, I'd say go with either and buy a Shield, as AndroidTV app tops both of those. But of course, that's just a personal preference. 

Edit: Cross-posted, I guess. 

I believe that side-loading in the US/UK is only required if you want to use the beta version of the app. Using the stable version, shouldn't need re-installing every 30 days

4 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

I believe that side-loading in the US/UK is only required if you want to use the beta version of the app. Using the stable version, shouldn't need re-installing every 30 days

Or if you're on an older model tv that Samsung is no longer accepting app updates for.