Channel editing in Live TV (bug)

Pseudomax
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Pseudomax

Hi,

I have setup a dedicated media server (headless ubuntu server) that stores all my media. Along side Emby server that is installed, I also have xTeVe server and NextPVR server installed. I intentionally run the live TV on the server as it is also protected on a VPN.

What I have discovered though, is that emby channels for live TV refuses to load the channels (at least into the administration page) when I add an EPG. This does not appear to be relative to the number of channels nor the length of the epg channels. Alongside Emby, I have also created an edited m3u & epg file on m3u4u.com and have used this edited file as my m3u file in my setup. NextPVR plays the file and uses the epg without any issues. But I prefer the newer functionality of Emby and I also want to avoid direct play/streams that NextPVR & Emby prefer. As such, I have setup xTeVe to use the m3u file and added their dummy epg as xTeVe does not seem to easily accept the m3u4u epg file.

As such, the problem arises when I add the m3u4u m3u file into emby. This is read without a problem, but when I add any epg (m3u4u, xTeVe or my iptv host file which has 1000's of channels) then I click across to the channels tab and briefly get the 'loading image' before it disappears and nothing appears. If I delete the epg then all the channels will load again.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong or how to fix this?

I attach my logs...

Thanks

embyserver.txt

Your log shows Emby not able to pull the xml file from m3u4u.com and is reporting ServiceUnavailable error.

What happens if you download the XML file and point Emby to the local file? 

19 hours ago, Pseudomax said:

Hi, I have discovered that m3u4u blocks emby!! So that will be the reason! ... 

You should be able to resolve this by changing the user agent setting to make Emby look like something else, like a browser for example.

Pseudomax

Thanks Luke, but they block my IP as well when too many requests are sent... so there would need to be a setting somewhere that limits the number of times a day that the m3u and/or XML files is downloaded/updated...

37 minutes ago, Pseudomax said:

Thanks Luke, but they block my IP as well when too many requests are sent... so there would need to be a setting somewhere that limits the number of times a day that the m3u and/or XML files is downloaded/updated...

Well you can already do that by adjusting the scheduled tasks schedule for refreshing the guide, which by default is every 24 hours.

Pseudomax

Then I must be confusing this with something else as I have not changed this default? But the m3u4u server blocked my IP which for all accounts was when I was setting up Emby? (and it did initially work ... so it must have been something other than just the 'header' that caused the problem?

BillOatman
1 hour ago, Pseudomax said:

Then I must be confusing this with something else as I have not changed this default? But the m3u4u server blocked my IP which for all accounts was when I was setting up Emby? (and it did initially work ... so it must have been something other than just the 'header' that caused the problem?

You may have crossed their limit during your testing or something.  Maybe give it a day and see if you are removed from their "timeout".  But blocking Emby would seem to be a bad business decision for them, unless the have some kind of arrangement with Plex or something. Actually I wouldn't think so as Plex doesn't support IPTV.

Edited by BillOatman

Pseudomax
3 hours ago, BillOatman said:

You may have crossed their limit during your testing or something.  Maybe give it a day and see if you are removed from their "timeout".  But blocking Emby would seem to be a bad business decision for them, unless the have some kind of arrangement with Plex or something. Actually I wouldn't think so as Plex doesn't support IPTV.

... my comment was obviously relating to your post @BillOatman

Please let them know that our default is 24 hours. I don't think they'll see excessive requests coming from 4.6.4. I think if they re-evaluate they'll see different results compared to previous releases.

And also let them know that we're willing to fine tune and keep improving it, because reducing requests will not only improve it for this issue, but it will improve the performance of the system for everyone altogether.

Pseudomax

@Luke from the wiki: https://wiki.m3u4u.com/en/Addendum (Emby topic) note 7 says:

Note 7:- Many intermediary services such as nextpvr, emby etc (and some player apps) are configured to auto repeat the download if/when the download does not complete. So an internet glitch, a lack of memory at device, etc etc can cause this. In addition at times of high usage the m3u4u server may be slow in sending down the data (especially uncompressed epg) and the supplementary service may have a timeout that drops the connection and immediately tries again. So whilst you may sensibly set the download for just once or twice a day, that just sets the time when it will make its attempts (not how many attempts it will make at that time). 

Can I check that there is a limit to the repeated failed attempts? I ask as I had emby try about 5-6 times over a 10-20min period but this had my ip banned and emby unable to access the files. I believe that trying a handful of time may have induced a timeout but not a ban... so just want to make sure I understand what Emby does in the background if they start asking those questions...

• Solution

They are really clear on how they want you to use their service since it's free or by donation.  They won't tolerate programs that pull info in sections or make multiple requests.
They want you to only make one request to download the m3u file and one request to pull the XMLEPG file and that is it.

Same thing with having multiple clients/devices in the house configured to use the URLs.
Don't do that either.

This is easily solved by setting up a schedule on their site for your M3U list like this:
image.png.4237a1e1a1c9c7eb94004149d4b6da44.png
Next setup a schedule on your computer to fire off a command that runs CURL (windows and linux) with:

For example at 2:15 AM I'd run (Example using windows 10)

curl -o "C:\db\master.m3u" "http://m3u4u.com/m3u/dqr362842etvmjeix1wk"

In that case I'm renaming the download to master.m3u in my c:\db folder.

Do the same thing for the EPG download link if using this.

All you do now is set Emby up to use the local files vs the URL
image.png.5753915d917582d0880b0219d5b045b9.png
This shows I've removed the default task that runs every 24 hours and replaced it with a Daily schedule at 2:30 AM.

If you happen to run any other IPTV software or have this configured in Android Live Channels you just point setup to use the local file vs the URL.

Edited by cayars