How to change channel when watching live tv

Raptor6L

Raptor6L

Hi all

The Keyboard and Remote section in the Theater menu shows that Channel Up and Channel Down should give me the next or previous, but I cannot seem to get that to work with either MCE keyboard, Harmony remote, or keyboard shortcuts ctrl-b and ctrl-f. I don't see it in the OSD so I can use a mouse to click it either.

Is it a function that exists?

Thanks

Chris

Hi, CTR-B & CTRL-F are for chapters not channels.

The Channel Up and Down keys are dedicated keys.
How this will work is going to depend on your equipment and setup.  For example if using the remote through HDMI-CEC the TV itself might absorb those command and not pass them through.

This happens to me as well on my setup as it will not work.

New versions of Theater have the mini guide and On Now available at the bottom of the OSD.  Have you explored those?
image.thumb.png.58c45284919688cbba274b2f29d996be.png

Raptor6L

Hi Cayars

I've got a MCE IR receiver and harmony remote which is mapped with WMC.

I have 2 PC's, one with win 8.1, WMC & Emby, the other is Win 10 & Emby, served by ServerWMC. Both have their own IR and remotes.

I can't change Emby channels on either PC. It's the Win 10 PC I'm concentrating on atm, as I use WMC to watch tv on the other.

Yep, saw the mini guide, and that is how I'm currently navigating, but there has to be a way to get the channel up/ down buttons working.

Any help is much appreciated!

Cheers

Chris

but there has to be a way to get the channel up/ down buttons working.

Hi, yes it's planned for future updates. thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...
simonides

yeah +1 for this, we´re running emby for a little while now, works very good but that "zapping experience" in live tv is not gonna happen :/

Raptor6L

Yeah, its a pity. Emby is a great product, we use it daily for movies, tv series, music, and programs that have been recorded and stored on our server for Emby to serve up. 

Unfortunately, for me, the live tv aspect of Emby really needs a bit of polish to bring it up to WMC standards. 

Dedicated remote functions are one. The stop/ start nature of navigation is another. Transparent overlay when selecting anything whilst live tv is playing is yet another.

Chris 

• 1 month later...
AKSkinz
On 1/28/2023 at 6:13 PM, Raptor6L said:

Yeah, its a pity. Emby is a great product, we use it daily for movies, tv series, music, and programs that have been recorded and stored on our server for Emby to serve up. 

Unfortunately, for me, the live tv aspect of Emby really needs a bit of polish to bring it up to WMC standards. 

Dedicated remote functions are one. The stop/ start nature of navigation is another. Transparent overlay when selecting anything whilst live tv is playing is yet another.

Chris 

I agree... We use it daily via Emby for Android now since dumping cable for our live tv. Server uses OTA tuners and M3Us from other apps which works great. The client interface/controls need, as you say, "a bit of polish" for it to be up to snuff. Especially simple things like ch up/down, last channel, more options for things like changing the highlight color in the guide (issue for colorblind people), etc. 

• 1 month later...
sdennis91

Most remotes have page up and page down for channel buttons. So why not use the page buttons for the channel up and down button. Or add a option to change to channel + and - to page + and - for channel changing. Its apparent that developers don't look at whats on the market, but whats in their head. I can link dozens of remotes from all over the net and each one will have a pg + - not channel button. I can link 2 remotes with a channel + or - button of which do not work on the pc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 10:20 AM, sdennis91 said:

Most remotes have page up and page down for channel buttons. So why not use the page buttons for the channel up and down button. Or add a option to change to channel + and - to page + and - for channel changing. Its apparent that developers don't look at whats on the market, but whats in their head. I can link dozens of remotes from all over the net and each one will have a pg + - not channel button. I can link 2 remotes with a channel + or - button of which do not work on the pc.

Hi, yes we'll look at improving it. Thanks for the feedback.

nitrup93

I'm also looking for a feature to change channel directly while viewing a live stream without going through the guide or a rewind :)

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

A post from 2021 and will we implanted “in the future” I expect 2027 to see this basic feature in the Samsung app 🙄 come on!!!!!! 

arrbee99
8 hours ago, Maarten said:

A post from 2021 and will we implanted “in the future” I expect 2027 to see this basic feature in the Samsung app 🙄 come on!!!!!! 

2027 ? ever the optimist...