Strange issue when adding full series

dark_slayer

dark_slayer

I recently added a few full series to mb3 which didn't have full metadata, but all were named to match thetvdb with the pattern of "show name - s01e01 - episode title.mkv"

I have 55 shows in my library, so this isn't my first rodeo

In the past all of my metadata was found by either sickbeard or mediacentermaster

MB3 has been doing a great job of grabbing new metadata one episode or one movie at a time, so naturally I wanted it to grab it for these new shows. I added 3 full series recently, and in some cases bizarre behavior happened. I added a single season of Person of Interest, and nothing out of the ordinary happened. The bizarre behavior was when adding the full series of The Cosby Show, Tudors, and Private Practice.

Each one had the episode appropriately titled prior. For each one the first season was given primary art, backdrops, and a banner from "For the Love of Ray-J"

In addition, the first 12 episode titles were named to match the first season of "For the Love of Ray J"

In the case of Tudors and Cosby, there were more episodes in their first season, so every episode beyond 12 was still named appropriately

Season 4 of each of the three full series was also replaced similarly by "The Bachelor UK"

I don't understand the behavior, but it correlates to every full series I've added for MB3 to scrape (as in the past I had fully scraped each series before they ever entered MB3). Also, I've already manually edited the metadata by season (deleted artworks for season, and used refresh in metadata manager view of mb3-web -- fixed episode naming and art)

I think the majority of this occured on the 9/3 log. Running 3.0.5347.22095

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10208838/9-2-14.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10208838/9-3-14.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10208838/9-4-14.txt

This is the age-old problem of determining that what you just added to the file system is a TV series.

If you add a folder for a new series and the system recognizes it before you get something in there that tells the server it is a TV series (a season 1 folder or episode file) it will get mis-identified in this way "Love of Ray".

The solution, usually, is to simply run another library scan after you have everything in place.

Happy2Play

I agree but it actually isn't that simple.  Some people like to organize their TV shows into sub-folders so we can't just assume any folder created in a TV media folder is a series.

But shouldn't the presents of a series.xml prevent another one from being made in a subfolder? 

But shouldn't the presents of a series.xml prevent another one from being made in a subfolder? 

Yes, but if a Season 1 folder is being identified as a Series, it is better to find out why the parent Season folder was not detected correctly. You'll see messages in the log about XXX is not a series folder.  Getting to the bottom of that is going to yield more fruit than checking for the presence of a metadata file. Using the metadata files is the path of least resistance, but not the right one because all of this still has to work if the user doesn't have any existing metadata and/or has local saving disabled.

dark_slayer

Okay, I could understand that (while nor understanding the choice of what it gets identified as)

Though all my shows are in a separate top level folder from movies . . . I would expect it to expect a show in the area of the library defined as shows

Also, that doesn't explain the systematic use of the bachelor UK for season 4?

A refresh alone might have worked, but since Im paranoid with such things I deleted the bad artwork first

Though all my shows are in a separate top level folder from movies . . . I would expect it to expect a show in the area of the library defined as shows

I agree but it actually isn't that simple.  Some people like to organize their TV shows into sub-folders so we can't just assume any folder created in a TV media folder is a series.

TheCaptain

Yes, but if a Season 1 folder is being identified as a Series, it is better to find out why the parent Season folder was not detected correctly. You'll see messages in the log about XXX is not a series folder.  Getting to the bottom of that is going to yield more fruit than checking for the presence of a metadata file. 

The Parent folder is not considered a series simply because there is no season folders under it, even though it has been correctly identified and has a series.xml. For example, I added a new empty Series folder, MBS correctly identified the series and downloaded metadata and artwork. Looking in the logs at this point, it says it is NOT a series folder. The log also shows that every parent folder with season folders is a series.  At this point, I add in a Season 1 folder and an episode, MBS thinks its a new series, completely disregarding the parent folder metadata and searches TVDB for a series called "Season 1", obviously with no results. Then it searches TheMovieDB for "Season 1" and gets "Love of Ray J" every time.

Also a library scan does not fix it, i have to manually delete the images every time.