How do you get a xml file for IPTV Live TV

skinny1962

WhackOBill

It depends on the IPTV service you're using.  That service should show you how to craft a link to get to the guide data ... however, some do not and simply assume you'll know.

Hi, Yes the provider should have given you a link to the guide XML file to use.  Without that info you would need to use a different source which could mean hours of setup time as you map each and every channel to an alternate guide source.  It's far easier to switch providers!

mark-in-dallas

Most IPTV providers that offer EPG data, follow this format for the M3U URL:

http://SERVER_URL:PORT/get.php?username=YOUR_USERNAME&password=YOUR_PASSWORD&type=m3u_plus&output=ts

And this for the EPG URL:  http://SERVER_URL:PORT/xmltv.php?username=YOUR_USERNAME&password=YOUR_PASSWORD&type=m3u_plus&output=ts

To get your EPG data try duplicating the M3U link, but changing this part of it:  http://SERVER_URL:PORT/get.php?

To this:  http://SERVER_URL:PORT/xmltv.php?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gillmacca01

If your channels are united kingdom/usa/canada, you can you emby guide data to get your listings - this may have better info that the IPTV provided one (.i.e. season/episode numbers and programme images)

• Like 1

BillOatman
On 9/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, gillmacca01 said:

If your channels are united kingdom/usa/canada, you can you emby guide data to get your listings - this may have better info that the IPTV provided one (.i.e. season/episode numbers and programme images)

True for things like standard network programming.  Sports packages tend to need the providers m3u and/or xmltv files.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, BillOatman said:

True for things like standard network programming.  Sports packages tend to need the providers m3u and/or xmltv files.

It depends how they do this. Take for example NFL game.  Some providers setup a dedicated channel for each team but the channel is only active during the event.  Others either pass off or use NFL Sunday Ticket while others might have 10 to 15 NFL channels.  Some will have epg info and some won't.  Some also change the name of the channel to a descriptive name like this:
image.png.35b338c1aac9ca4ac51cb84dcc413751.png

These are impossible to read in Emby when you have about 1" for the channel name off to the side of the grid.  You can switch to the channel tab and then change the view to list mode to clearly read them. 

I modified the m3u files to use the Emby Guide Data station ID numbers so I can load up Direct TV & DISH networks for 90% coverage of the channels I use which is currently at 335.  I will make a change to turn off certain groups at different times of the year.  I don't need NFL channels past January for example.  Most sports channels have a 4 to 6 month window so they don't need to be loaded during the off season.

I remove VOD, 24/7 and radio stations as well as all the countries I don't need.  I also remove USA channels that are in Spanish.  Then of course is chopping the info and shopping channels.  I also remove the "duplicate" channels where you have one station broadcast multiple way like SD, HD, FHD, etc keeping only the highest resolution stream.

Is there any interest in this for you guys?

I'm just about done my master list which I want to be nearly perfect but have been giving thought to doing a renumbering so locals/regions, then news, kids, premium channels, national, general sports channels followed by individuals like NFL, NBA, NHL, etc with XXX trailing up the rear.

I'll keep all the channels I get via cable and OTA in the master list but will dedupe those channels when loading into Emby on my own system.  This way the master.m3u file is usable in Android Live Channels to VLC without a guide. It's nice to have a master list with everything in it that's already cleaned up.

I could make this m3u file available to anyone running Emby that wants it.  It won't have your credentials in the streams but it's all from one provider Mark turned me on to (new favorite). You would be able to load it in Emby along with the proper guides (2 right now) for nearly perfect matching. If you like it, then I took the sting out of Live TV setup for you and all you need to do is signup for you own account and do a search/replace of the username and password in the streams.  This would be simple to automate to pull down a new m3u every day.

If you guys like this I can break out different local regions to specific local m3u files like Philly.m3u, LA,m3u, Chicago, m3u, etc.  I' could probably do the major areas but everyone could do their own locals as there wouldn't be that many of them. The big channels to setup locally would be ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS and then maybe a couple more if available.

So two M3Us for most people which can both be loaded in Emby as separate tuners. For those who don't want to subscribe to the same service I use there will still be other curated channels lists I can make available with lots of free content (see below).

I have all the channels you can watch for free from Plex, Pluto, Roku, Samsung, Tubi, Stirr, and a couple others.  I've also been putting together a list of US stations who broadcast for free over the Internet which I'll call FreeView, which range from PBS, Bloomberg, ION Plus, Chedder, Buzz, Charge!, Comet TV, Dabl, Decades to some regional CBS, NBC, ABC channels as well as CBSN National & Regional channel which in itself is a probably better than a lot of people get with OTA or even Locast before they went bust.

The first things will be the national list followed by the local/regional channels.  Then all the other stuff can come after that.

So if you're interested let me know and help me design a channel number plan that makes sense for the number of possible channels that will be available.  That would be much better than a list of random channels that makes finding things hard. Or maybe even better is to remove the channel numbers so if you already have OTA or cable tuners there will be no conflict and these channels will just fall into place behind them.  Each set of channels is already setup with groups/tags like Regional, Premium Channels, USA, Sports, Kids, XXX to NFL, NBA, NHA, MLB, NCAA, F1 Racing,  VIP/PPV. In Emby it's easy to use the new tag view to hide or only show certain groups.  You could also use Emby's Parental Restrictions to hide groups as well such as XXX or Premium Channels. 

image.thumb.png.33a7e1f30e2641d5de822256b6f44461.png

BillOatman

I'd be interested in having a look for sure, you can never have too many sources :)

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...