EMBY CRASHES when playing back previously playable HVEC x265 files

gregaus

Since the latest Apple device update update v2.0.9, when trying to playback SOME (not all) HVEC (x265) files on any of my iOS/TVOS or iPadOS devices, the playback fails completely and the app crashes every single time. These files worked fine before the update. Files causing the crash - details attached. HELP! Thanks!

58A23019-A826-43C1-BD27-D8D59E64F60E.jpeg

Hello gregaus,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

9 hours ago, Luke said:

As this is only with certain files, can you provide a sample video for testing? Thanks.

Happy to do that but the two files that cause the problem are huge (1.7Gb) and I’m not sure if it’s even legal to upload them to this site for copyright reasons. I have tested many other HEVC files and they’re all fine. It’s just these two for some reason. The files play perfectly on windows devices. But fail when played through EMBY to ANY Apple devices. 

Please advise what I should do. Will upload the files here if possible/legal. Thanks!

Not that I know of, Luke. They worked before your recent update. If they didn’t play so well in Windows, I’d know it’s the files which are corrupt. But they work great there. I posted this in the forum thinking others might join in and give examples of this happening with them as well, but given no one has, perhaps this is a very isolated incident? The fact all my other HEVC x265 files are working fine make me believe this might be the case. I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. If there is no obvious solution, I’ll just convert them into an x264 file (much bigger file size but that’s ok). I can always come back here and report any other files which this might happen to in the future. 

Luke, I just tried Google Drive and Dropbox and both did my head in trying to upload this damn file. Neither wanted to play nice so I give up. I will recode the file myself so it works. Thanks for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again. Posting as I have a new file where a very similar thing is happening. This time it's NOT a HEVC x265 file but a regular mkv file. Attached is a screenshot of the error generated on ALL my Apple devices (iOS, ipadOS and TVOS Apple TV). No matter what I do, I cannot get this file to play. It comes up "playback error". The apps do not crash this time like with the previous 2 files but after seeing the spinning icon for a while, it comes up wih the below message. I would think it's corrupted file except that it actually works perfectly in Windows, just like the previous files did. Help, please. Thank you.

IMG_3272.PNG

Capture.JPG

Happy2Play

This log shows a permissions issues, but with TV being on E: drive also could be related but no errors in this log for TV.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'E:\Documentary\Beyond the Cosmos' is denied.

No idea why it’s showing that. This txt was from my PC as I couldn’t get at txt file to download on my iPad. There are no permission issues. All other files from that same drive play perfectly. Except this one. I replaced it with a 720P version and it works perfectly. But not the 1080P version. Yet that version plays perfectly in Windows. 🤷‍♂️ 

I found a way to get a new log file from my iPad. Attached. :)

text.txt

20 minutes ago, gregaus said:

No idea why it’s showing that. This txt was from my PC as I couldn’t get at txt file to download on my iPad. There are no permission issues. All other files from that same drive play perfectly. Except this one. I replaced it with a 720P version and it works perfectly. But not the 1080P version. Yet that version plays perfectly in Windows. 🤷‍♂️ 

I found a way to get a new log file from my iPad. Attached. :)

text.txt 11 B · 2 downloads

@gregaus you attached a txt file with the contents "start page". Can you please attach the complete emby server log file? Thanks !

I’m genuinely sick of this. There is NO WAY I can figure out how to get a txt file downloaded (in iOS) in txt format and uploadable to the forum. The device simply DOES NOT ALLOW IT. No matter what I do. I’ve tried everything I know of. Even copying and pasting the log text is impossible as Safari DOES NOT allow a SELECT ALL so I can just paste it here.

I give up. I”m done. I’ve just wasted hours on this. I truly appreciate your support but this is a joke trying to get to you the information you need to solve this problem. I can’t keep doing this. I’m beyond frustrated and very over it. Thank you so much nonetheless for your efforts and patience. 

pwhodges

Luke asked for the server log file.  Can you not just download that on the server, or any other PC?

Paul

Hi Paul, I already did that above but when I tried getting it from my Apple devices, was unable to leading to riots in the street, hooliganism and the general destruction of society. ;)