Subtitle bugs with Android TV player

As777
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

I have set the default subtitle language to always playback Swedish subs as first priority. However, whenever I start a video it just loads the English ones and I still have to manually switch.

Another problem is if I stop and resume the video. It just loads the English subtitles again and any offset adjustment for the subtitle sync is reset.

Usually, the subtitle for the English language is part of the MKV while the Swedish subtitle is downloaded from OpenSubs. Maybe the issue lies here that the Swedish downloaded subtitle is not treated as a native subtitle to the video?

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please go over an example and supply the information requested in how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks!

18 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Also make sure you didn't select the option to always choose the default subtitle regardless of language.

Preferred subtitle language in my server setting is "Swedish"

The Android TV app sound/subtitle setting is set to load Swedish subs as default.

It never ever loads the Swedish subtitle just the English one. The english subtitle is part of the MKV while the Swedish one is retrieved and stored in the video folder by Emby from the internet..

If I stop the video and start the video it doesn't remember which subtitle I was watching with and it doesn't save the time offset.

Edited by askog666

GrimReaper
7 minutes ago, askog666 said:

Preferred subtitle language in my server setting is "Swedish"

The Android TV app sound/subtitle setting is set to load Swedish subs as default.

No, that'll be your Preferred language. 

Default language will be one that has "default" flag, and it's usually first embedded subtitle (but it doesn't have to be), you can check that in Media Info section for any item. 

In your AndroidTV app, what Subtitle mode you selected? Choose Smart or Always, but not Default.

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo

It's very confusing to be honest.

I don't actually want subtitles on every video I watch (it's not actually me who requires them, so I only want them on when I watching with a person who needs them).

I assumed that selecting a subtitle would mean the player saved the current state and reloaded all the states on playback.

--

Selecting Smart at least reloads the Swedish subtitle. I can live with that.

Edited by askog666

GrimReaper
4 minutes ago, askog666 said:

I assumed that selecting a subtitle would mean the player saved the current state and reloaded all the states on playback.

And it should generally be so, depending on your setup, logic might be broken somewhere. 

Anyway, which Subtitle mode you have enabled? And under which circumstances you want those swedish subs to show? On Swedish or foreign audio language? 

Here is what I want:

1. Don't show any subtitles by default when opening a video

2. Only allow English and Swedish as subtitle options regardless of audio language

3. If I select a subtitle during playback (English or Swedish) , it should remember this  if I stop the video and start the video again.

Everything is as I want except #3.

Logic (to me) says that Subtle Mode should be set to "No subtitles" while "Remeber subtitle track selections" should be enabled to acheieve what I want.

image.thumb.png.211e50b607b55e58ce1834fb89c0f825.png

• Solution
GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, askog666 said:

Selecting Smart at least reloads the Swedish subtitle. I can live with that.

"Smart" wil load your preferred language subtitle (in your case Swedish) whenever audio language is NOT your preferred language (in your case I don't know what audio language you have as preferred). 

• Like 1

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, askog666 said:

Logic (to me) says that Subtle Mode should be set to "No subtitles" while "Remeber subtitle track selections" should be enabled to acheieve what I want.

That sounds reasonable, I have it as Always so never looked into it, just made test with:

1. Preferred audio language: Swedish

2. Preferred sub language: Croatian (as I have no swe subs), although it is irrelevant in this scenario

3. Subtitle mode. None

Played english audio movie:

a) If subs selected prior playing movie - NOT remembered

b) If subs selected during playback, from OSD - NOT remembered

@ebr, is there a time limit for how long an item had to be played for subs to be "remembered"? 

• Like 1

There is no such time limit. If you start playback and then immediately stop, that's one I'm not sure of off the top of my head, but I think that gets saved as well.

22 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

is there a time limit for how long an item had to be played for subs to be "remembered"? 

There should not be but try letting it play for at least 10 seconds.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, Luke said:

There is no such time limit. If you start playback and then immediately stop, that's one I'm not sure of off the top of my head, but I think that gets saved as well.

9 minutes ago, ebr said:

There should not be but try letting it play for at least 10 seconds.

Thank you both, I always assumed that is the logic - as same does apply on my Croatian/Always mode, whatever item is played with English subs, even for a second, gets remembered. However, same does not apply on None mode, tested both on AndroidTV app and WebApp, put a movie on each, selected Cro subs, smoked a cig (so 4-5 minutes playback) - NEITHER is remembered, both default to Off upon revisit. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

same does not apply on None mode, tested both on AndroidTV app and WebApp, put a movie on each, selected Cro subs, smoked a cig (so 4-5 minutes playback) - NEITHER is remembered, both default to Off upon revisit.

Okay, I think that may be by design as that mode specifically says "Never play subs".

GrimReaper
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Okay, I think that may be by design as that mode specifically says "Never play subs".

Well, it shouldn't, same logic should apply accross all modes: Default to selected, if manually overridden - remember selection  (if opted for in settings). 

• Like 1