Migrating from Emby Server PC to Synology NAS, what are the steps?

davesurfer
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

davesurfer
17 hours ago, FrostByte said:

It's been a few years, but this is how I restored from my old Windows Backups

The pic of the plugin settings below is how mine is setup

From your post above I believe yours should read "/volume1/Emby Server Backups"

Move your old Windows backups to that location

You might have to run a scan, but your old Windows Backups should then be listed under "Current Backups"

Then just click on the Backup you want to restore from.

So I've moved the backup folders to /volume1/Backups, then pointed the Emby Backup plugin to that location, I didn't get an error about it being not found, but it didn't show anything under "Current Backups". You said I might have to run a "scan"? Where is this done? Thanks

image.png.41953d562fc10f828e9bc7f81c78d1b9.png

davesurfer
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Click "Scheduled Tasks" and then click the start button next to "scan media library"

So I did this, but sorta confused as doesn't this scan media libraries? We're just trying to get the backup plugin to see my backups. Anyways, I did this, then popped back into the Emby Backup and I get this rotating circle. I've restarted Emby server as well:

image.png.068dfada7b26680f9f52a8eba109da3f.png

Happy2Play

My guess is permissions for /volume1/Backups but a server log should say.

49 minutes ago, davesurfer said:

So I did this, but sorta confused as doesn't this scan media libraries? We're just trying to get the backup plugin to see my backups. Anyways, I did this, then popped back into the Emby Backup and I get this rotating circle. I've restarted Emby server as well:

You don't want the scan media option but the Configuration Backup task option which should be the top option.

Run that one time, then go into the backup plugin and see if your previous backs are available at the bottom of the screen to restore from.

• Like 1

FrostByte
56 minutes ago, cayars said:

You don't want the scan media option but the Configuration Backup task option which should be the top option.

Run that one time, then go into the backup plugin and see if your previous backs are available at the bottom of the screen to restore from.

Sorry, that was my mistake.  I said to start the wrong task.

davesurfer

Ok, so that backup task failed. Maybe permissions thing? You'd think the currently signed in user on the NAS would be the user that it's app use for credentials.

image.png.89c9180779d2abed505058e2c33d046a.png

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, davesurfer said:

Ok, so that backup task failed. Maybe permissions thing? You'd think the currently signed in user on the NAS would be the user that it's app use for credentials.

image.png.89c9180779d2abed505058e2c33d046a.png

Can you post a server log.

Happy2Play
41 minutes ago, davesurfer said:

Yes you need to adjust permissions

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Backups' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

davesurfer
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes you need to adjust permissions

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path '/volume1/Backups' is denied.
	 ---> System.IO.IOException: Permission denied

How do I do this? Right now, all the shares I've created on the NAS can be accessed by me and other domain users. How do I assign a domain user for Emby server to authenticate with?

Edited by davesurfer

• Solution
FrostByte
7 hours ago, davesurfer said:

How do I do this? Right now, all the shares I've created on the NAS can be accessed by me and other domain users. How do I assign a domain user for Emby server to authenticate with?

Try using the same System internal user "emby" that you did for your media shares

backup5.thumb.jpg.17822c7f7a6058fd408150f1fe6da116.jpg

davesurfer
3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Try using the same System internal user "emby" that you did for your media shares

Thanks! That worked! That's what I needed to know. I didn't realize each Synology app created it's own user, it makes sense now! Awesome!

• Like 1

davesurfer
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

Glad you got that working.

Have you tried a restore yet?

Yep, did the restore, it restarted and it all worked! I changed the library locations to the local "/volume1/.." instead of the network UNC. Seems to work great now.

• Like 1

Nice.  One thing to double check is the library types.
You want to click on the Library menu, then take a look at the libs it setup for you.  Make sure the library type shown under the title is correct.
IE a Movie Library is type Movies, TV Shows is type TV Shows.  You want to make sure it didn't switch to "Mixed Content".

davesurfer
1 minute ago, cayars said:

Nice.  One thing to double check is the library types.
You want to click on the Library menu, then take a look at the libs it setup for you.  Make sure the library type shown under the title is correct.
IE a Movie Library is type Movies, TV Shows is type TV Shows.  You want to make sure it didn't switch to "Mixed Content".

Thanks, it looks like it set the right library types for the libraries.

Perfect.  Even if it was wrong it can pretty easily be changed but it's best to verify the type.  For some reason the type gets set wrong every once in a while for some people.
Likely on older systems that have been through many major server upgrades.

• 4 months later...
Jissica
On 23/09/2021 at 17:22, davesurfer said:

Hi! So I've been running Emby Server on a Windows PC for many years, but now want to migrate to my Synology NAS. I want to make sure I keep all my settings and metadata etc. Is there a good process for this? Thanks for any help! :)

another easy solution is by using migration tools like Sharegate , Gs Richcopy 360 and Carbonite , all have the ability to migrating your file server to Synology NAS , all have many features and just few steps to make the migration , search all

I'm fond of two methods of transferring all media and files.

One is using rsync which I think it the best method but not so easy on Windows.  If I don't need to continue using the windows machine I'll boot it with a Linux USB drive, mount the drive(s) and then rsync that way.

Alternately from windows side I'll use a batch file I setup to do the copy/move of files.  What I do is flip the archive bit of all files that need to copy over.  Then I use RoboCopy to copy only files that have the archive bit flipped while turning it off after copy.

If something like this is of interest to you, let me know and I'll dig out the commands I use for you.

• 7 months later...
14 hours ago, pteves said:

@Luke, is there anyway to transfer a library from a PC to NAS that preserves the "date added"?

Do you have nfo files next to your media? If yes then it will contain the date added.