Migrating from Emby Server PC to Synology NAS, what are the steps?

davesurfer
Go to solution Solved by FrostByte,

davesurfer

Hi! So I've been running Emby Server on a Windows PC for many years, but now want to migrate to my Synology NAS. I want to make sure I keep all my settings and metadata etc. Is there a good process for this? Thanks for any help! :)

davesurfer

So I shutdown Emby Server, then have started moving the videos over to the NAS. I think what I'll do is fire up the Emby Server after the videos have moved to the NAS, then go into the configuration and remove existing folders and point everything to the new network shares on the NAS, then back up the server, then import it on the new Emby Server on the NAS. Does that sound like it would work? In that way the backed up configuration will already have the new folder locations for TV, Movies etc.

I didn't see instructions on how to set up Emby Server on the new system, keeping in mind that I will restore the backup. Or should I not go through the setup wizard and just manually backup and copy the configuration files?

Edited by davesurfer

How many TB of data do you have to copy/move over to the Synology?

Are you actually moving the media or just copying it so you have a copy on the PC?

Are you running DSM 6 or DSM 7 on the NAS?

When do you think you'll have your data copied/moved over and ready for Emby install?

davesurfer

It's finished, and it's about 8 TB which I already moved to the Synology (not copied). The NAS is running DSM 7 and I've installed the Emby Server app on it. I was going to fire up the old Emby Server on the PC and redo the folders for TV & Movies, pointing them to the NAS network shares, then back it up with the backup plugin. I just didn't know what to do on the Synology side after this--do I go through the setup wizard or how should that be set up? Or does it matter as when I restore the backup it will just overwrite anything anyways? Thanks!

Run the backup config plugin and take a backup of the PC version of Emby.
Run through the setup wizzard on the NAS just enough to login, install the backup config plugin.
Do a full config restore with the backup config plugin.

After that is done are you restart the server double check each library type to make sure it's correct.  Make sure the Movie library didn't change to mixed content.
If you see any change like this let us know.

You will need to grant each share read/write access to the System Internal Emby user.

You need to reset each library mount point since this will be different than the PC.
Test Emby Connect usernames if using this as you might need to remove the EC name, save the record, add it back and save again for each user to reset EC to your new server.

If you want a hand with this remotely, send me a PM.

davesurfer
6 minutes ago, cayars said:

Run the backup config plugin and take a backup of the PC version of Emby.
Run through the setup wizzard on the NAS just enough to login, install the backup config plugin.
Do a full config restore with the backup config plugin.

After that is done are you restart the server double check each library type to make sure it's correct.  Make sure the Movie library didn't change to mixed content.
If you see any change like this let us know.

You will need to grant each share read/write access to the System Internal Emby user.

You need to reset each library mount point since this will be different than the PC.
Test Emby Connect usernames if using this as you might need to remove the EC name, save the record, add it back and save again for each user to reset EC to your new server.

If you want a hand with this remotely, send me a PM.

Great thanks I'll follow through your instructions and if I need help I'll let you know thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
davesurfer

Hi! So I've finally started to migrate the server to the Synlogy NAS. I initiated the restore from the latest backup, Emby server wants to restart, so it restarts, and nothing is restored, no libraries users etc. I've had this happen a year or two ago--it didn't restore anything either. How can I get this data onto the NAS? Thanks for any help! :)

If you like send me a PM and we can arrange a remote session.
That would likely be the best way to help you in an expediated manner.

Carlo

PS when you say a restore from a backup, what kind of backup is this?
What program did you use to back things up with?

davesurfer

Thanks! I'd like to sort it out without someone on my system for now. I used the "Server Configuration Backup" plugin. Should I use a better one that you'd suggest?

Just keep in mind the plugin backs up config data. This allows you to get the config the same as you had it.  Also users and their watched status will be restored.
Once you restore the config you want to verify the library types and will need to remap where to find the data as the mapping will be different.

If you previously saved NFO and graphics to your media libraries you can turn off all meta-data providers (for now) leaving only NFO reader enabled.
That will load your libraries fast.

davesurfer
On 14/10/2021 at 16:29, cayars said:

Just keep in mind the plugin backs up config data. This allows you to get the config the same as you had it.  Also users and their watched status will be restored.
Once you restore the config you want to verify the library types and will need to remap where to find the data as the mapping will be different.

If you previously saved NFO and graphics to your media libraries you can turn off all meta-data providers (for now) leaving only NFO reader enabled.
That will load your libraries fast.

But the thing is, the restore didn't restore anything, no libraries or anything. No users etc. Would it be quicker to stop fooling around with restoring and just add the libraries in manually again? NFO files and graphics look like they've saved into folders.

The backup configuration plugin should restore users if you selected them for restoration.
Only the library configs are restored, but you have to rescan the libs to populate them.

davesurfer

So I just went into the Emby server backup plugin on the NAS again to try and see what the restore options were, and I couldn't see the backups anymore, then when I tried to put the backup location in it said the "path can't be found"

image.png.3479f89704a480120fd9cf320c594602.png

So then I moved the Emby backups from my old server to the NAS, thinking it would easily be able to see a share on the same device it was installed on but still the same error:

image.png.8dde18c236cf08ba9d72cd0c4c845f4a.png

Hi, I notice you're trying to use a windows share path with the backup plugin. Instead of doing that, try mounting the windows share to a local path on the Synology using the tools in the Synology OS. Then use that local path with the backup plugin. I would suggest doing this anywhere else you need to enter a folder path as well. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Exactly, Synology doesn't like \\server\share as there is no way to authenticate the share.
Instead go into File Station. Pick a location to mount the remote share, then click the Tools menu, Mount Remote Folder, CIFS Shared Folder

image.png.e07eaedc94cc4fc58e1d163b647fb369.png

Then you can fill in this screen with the info needed.

image.png.bf10586b69078e6f4af5be8d632bdb5f.png

davesurfer
On 18/10/2021 at 05:59, cayars said:

Exactly, Synology doesn't like \\server\share as there is no way to authenticate the share.
Instead go into File Station. Pick a location to mount the remote share, then click the Tools menu, Mount Remote Folder, CIFS Shared Folder

Ok, so what I did before was just move the backup folder to the "Media" share on the NAS:

image.png.a395d0d5e718bbc9c76f93bddf86d841.png

So what path to I give for the restore?

You don't give any path to do a restore as that is never asked.  The plugin will be running inside Emby Server and knows where to restore things to.

davesurfer
On 21/10/2021 at 12:14, cayars said:

You don't give any path to do a restore as that is never asked.  The plugin will be running inside Emby Server and knows where to restore things to.

I know it knows where to restore things to, but it doesn't know where to restore things FROM, I need to point it to my backups. It has no idea where the backups are.

FrostByte
16 minutes ago, davesurfer said:

I know it knows where to restore things to, but it doesn't know where to restore things FROM, I need to point it to my backups. It has no idea where the backups are.

It's been a few years, but this is how I restored from my old Windows Backups

The pic of the plugin settings below is how mine is setup

From your post above I believe yours should read "/volume1/Emby Server Backups"

Move your old Windows backups to that location

Backup.jpg.ace1f2d8e79d49cff36a8d16b4e263e1.jpg

You might have to run a scan, but your old Windows Backups should then be listed under "Current Backups"

Then just click on the Backup you want to restore from.

• Like 1

Yep that's all you need to do is point the plugin to the location holding your current backup sets and they will become available to restore from.