Playback quality

nickysilver
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Yes, that helped.  The app is not able to directly access the file location due to permissions.  Did anything ever pop up asking you to allow access?

09-24 15:21:40.475  8672  8672 E EventLogger:   com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.FileDataSource$FileDataSourceException: com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.FileDataSource$FileDataSourceException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/A629CEBDA80DF8F9/movies 2/The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942).mkv: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, that helped.  The app is not able to directly access the file location due to permissions.  Did anything ever pop up asking you to allow access?

09-24 15:21:40.475  8672  8672 E EventLogger:   com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.FileDataSource$FileDataSourceException: com.google.android.exoplayer2.upstream.FileDataSource$FileDataSourceException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/A629CEBDA80DF8F9/movies 2/The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942).mkv: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)

But that makes no sense, OP has Android server set-up with that media, it was scanned and imported - meaning read permission is granted. Exo shouldn't need write permission, should it? 

@nickysilver, are you willing to do a small test, it shouldn't take long, 10ish minutes? 

Edited by GrimReaper

nickysilver

I said "yes" but it depends what the experiment is... I might say I'll do it another day. Believe it or not, I'm supposed to meet someone for a drink later,. (I only say believe it or not as it would appear that emby is my life in its entirety)

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

Yes... but remember it took me two hours to send you a log file :)

I agree it makes no sense.

Great. On your HDD you should have a folder named NVIDIA_SHIELD (if not, make one with exact same name, with underscore). Make a folder underneath it, name it as you want, "Test movies" or whatever. Inside that folder put that jittery movie and 1-2 other movies. Make a new library on your server that will point to that "Test movies" as a path. Once scanned, play The Man Who Came to Dinner from that library. Also take a photo of Stats for Nerds while playing. 

nickysilver

Grim... I'm afraid I'm gonna have to do this Sunday. Please don't think I'm not trying to solve it (I AM!!! But it's 8 here and I have to be somewhere at 8:30. And I think we know things are not simple for me. (I work ALL day tomorrow)

GrimReaper
Just now, nickysilver said:

I REALLY want to get it solved. Because EVERYTHING should be direct play!

Is this the folder... and now I better run.1495928955_ScreenShot2021-09-24at8_06.PMSep242021.jpg.0a4da41508ae6df72e2f7c51569fd3a2.jpg

Yep, that's the one. 

7 hours ago, nickysilver said:

ok.. i'll try to do this tomorrow night

Great, let us know how you get on. Thanks.

nickysilver

Done. I sent a log as well.

It SAYS direct play in stats for nerds.

Still choppy though. Fine if played with VLC.

The problem now is, I CANNOT get rid of the TEST library. I hot remove (a few times) but it's still there.

(I gotta go to work)

Log sent 4:12 (am)

Username: Nicky

Here's the photo:

IMG_3067.jpg

nickysilver

I really don't want a test library.

It will NOT go away.

ARGH!

things are not going well.

Edited by nickysilver

GrimReaper

Hey up. Easy, let's do one by one thing. 

First, good thing on that setup/playback, in SFN you can see Stream Type:File and not HTTP, which means your have direct file access so that's out of the picture, good thing you sent in-app log for @ebr to investigate further.

Second, external storage on Android CAN be a headache, with each new version anew. What happens when you click three-dot menu and "Remove" on Test Library? 

Also, in your Shield settings, go to Apps, Emby Server, scroll all the way down to Permissions, what do you see there, is "Storage" enabled? 

nickysilver

When I click remove, I get the warning, I proceed, then a scan status bar appears for a moment, them goes away. The scan fails Carlo was investigating this and his conclusion as the server for Android needs to be updated. (He was screen sharing, we tried everything. He looked at logs and whatnot-- the whatnot held no insights.)

Apps/emby server/permissions/ Storage  (It is blue, meaning on)

You bought me during the break between half hours-- I run for a half hour, break, then a second hour, then rush to work.

(Where are you?! You must be in the UK or Europe or else you are a vampire! ...I'm referring to your local time)

I thought the log might tell you why it won't go away..... if it's the correct log.

embyserver-2.txt

Edited by nickysilver
attachment

• Solution
GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

Where are you?! You must be in the UK or Europe or else you are a vampire! ...I'm referring to your local time

I'm in the middle of Indian ocean, anything more precise, like 5 days off Reunion makes little importance. But yes, I do have vampirish inclinations, being awake-wise. 😉

5 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

When I click remove, I get the warning, I proceed, then a scan status bar appears for a moment, them goes away. The scan fails Carlo was investigating this and his conclusion as the server for Android needs to be updated. (He was screen sharing, we tried everything. He looked at logs and whatnot-- the whatnot held no insights.)

If @cayarsdid remotely chimed-in, with scans failing and that was the conclusion, then it is more likely some systemic error which will hardly be solved by troubleshooting it now, better wait for an update and re-try. In the meantime, go to your User settings, Acces tab, untick "Enable access to akl libraries", untick "test" and you won't see it any more, it'll be like it doesn't exist. 

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
50 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

in SFN you can see Stream Type:File and not HTTP, which means your have direct file access

@ebr, this is really odd that file must be played from write-access location to be directly accessible for playback. 

nickysilver

That was just marked as solution cause I got "test" to disappear. Off to work.

(Sorry if asking where you were was inappropriate)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

@ebr, this is really odd that file must be played from write-access location to be directly accessible for playback. 

Yeah, I doubt it is the write access though. 

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, nickysilver said:

Sorry if asking where you were was inappropriate

No worries. 😉

Edit: And I wasn't joking, that IS my current location, more-or-less. Middle of nowhere. I'm on a Vessel. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Afterthought

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, I doubt it is the write access though. 

Yeah, it shouldn't be, but that's the only difference between that playback with:

16 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

EACCES (Permission denied)

and this last successful one:

2 hours ago, nickysilver said:

IMG_3067.jpg

Btw did that log show anything off for choppy playback, as it is directly accessed (and VLC-playable normally), I reckon we've effectively eliminated both Server, I/O and Permissions from the equation, leaving Exo as the likely culprit? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Typo