Playback quality

nickysilver
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

nickysilver

Well, I'm back.

Still new to emby. I've come upon a couple if films with choppy video playback. I've tested the files on both my laptop and on the shield, using VLC, and the video quality is perfect. (It's an old movie, 1942, but in 1080p, mp4/mkv.) I tried running the in-app  error correction while playing and I got "too many errors"  message.  I've clicked "Enable hardware accelerating when avail Yes." (I mean, I don't really understand transcoding. But It should just be direct play. The file is plugged into the shield via usb/HD.)

So, can anyone offer anything else I should try?!

Many thanks!

GrimReaper
17 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

It's an old movie, 1942, but in 1080p, mp4/mkv.

Well, is it an mp4 or mkv?

In any case, what you described should result in a smooth playback. Out of curiosity, how many embedded subs does that movie have? 

Did you try lowering in app quality in OSD to cause transcoding (or two times Playback correction does same, Remux>Transcode; if single Playback correction fails, it might indicate some audio incompatibility), just pick some lower value than actual media bitrate, how does that compare? 

Also, could you share Media Info details for same item? 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

nickysilver

Container: mkv  Codec: MPEG4

(That's what it says in "stats for nerds")

Oh, the movie is OLY 480, the display is 1080. Sorry. (I know 48- is sad in this world of 5K, but there you are.)

I don't know how many embedded subs it has (and to be honest, I'm not sure how to tell. If I go to edit subtitles, none are offered. I'd have to search, which leads me to believe there are no embedded subs.)

Now, you are really kind to help, but I don't where "lower in app quality" is-- and I've looked.  I'm attaching a photo of the stats or nerds, does that have the info you were asking. (I realize I'm not that techno clever and I appreciate your help!)image0.jpeg.8ab656c4aa3935b19a4b9b1e801f7296.jpeg

Edited by nickysilver

GrimReaper

As a sidenote, MPEG4 is not equal MP4, one is codec, the other is container that former can - but doesn't have to - be packaged in. 

9 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

but I don't where "lower in app quality" is

During playback, bring up OSD (down click), select cog-icon (rightmost lower icon), once menu is opened click Quality (top selection), choose value 1 Mbps or lower. 

nickysilver

First, GOD BLESS YOU.. cause you explained that so well!  

When I try it, I get a message "too many errors. giving up" and the quality stays at 110.

GrimReaper
16 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

First, GOD BLESS YOU.. cause you explained that so well!  

When I try it, I get a message "too many errors. giving up" and the quality stays at 110.

Well, it might be a bad encode Exo is having issues with, MPEG4/MP3 combo was widely used in Xvid/Divx days in avi container (which Shield does not support), don't know how does it translate to mkv. 

Anyway, you can provide sample of that file for @ebr to take a look and possibly provide some insight.

Alternatively, you can enable "Use Uxternal Player for Videos" in your AndroidTV app settings (cog icon on Homescreen, rightmost top one) > Playback tab > bottommost option, for when you play same-encoded media. 

Edit: Also, as a test, try disabling hardware acceleration and then start playback > lower quality, see how does that compare. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

nickysilver

I would love to use external player for THIS video, but I don't think I want t ouse it for the other 2400 :)

I will message ebr and ask for advice. TEN THOUSAND THANK YOUS!

GrimReaper
Just now, nickysilver said:

I would love to use external player for THIS video, but I don't think I want t ouse it for the other 2400

Hence I said:

4 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

for when you play same-encoded media

It's a 5-10 second process, you can esily revert it when you don't need it. 

Both server and app are running on Shield and the movie is on an attached USB drive, correct?

There may just be too much I/O all on the same bus there.  Try following the directions in our KB to cause the app to use direct file access.

nickysilver

I've checked direct pass.

And then I'm supposed to "mount network storage" on my shield. But the files aren't on a network. They are on a hard drive that is plugged into the shield via usb. (The only mountable device on my network is my laptop, which has no relation to the issue.)

I am sorry if I'm being dense.

In any event, It had no effect. When I check "use external player" of course it plays fine. But then when I exit the film I am faced with VLC's menu not the emby page I've been on.

Before you try setting up for direct access I would hold off.  It's going to be tricky because the Shield TV is your server and will have to be setup to allow network access and well as a few other things.

Instead for now, can you upload this problem file to Google Drive, Drop Box or similar service and provide a link?
This way we can test the file first for you.

nickysilver

I can, but it will take a little while.. I'll have to DL it from the drive, which I NEVER disconnect cause i'm very neurotic. (Don't be judge-- it's my favorite Christmas movie (The man who came to dinner).

Almost done actually. Where do I email  the link?

Edited by nickysilver

3 hours ago, cayars said:

It's going to be tricky because the Shield TV is your server and will have to be setup to allow network access and well as a few other things.

However the server is addressing the drive, you should be able to have the app address it the same way.  So, the "optional network path" shouldn't even be required as the storage has to be visible to Andriod Apps for the server to see it.

When you tried it with "Pass direct path" checked, did the protocol in stats for nerds change to "File"?

nickysilver

Well, this is with "pass direct path" checked.  I don't actually see the word protocol there.

(I DLed the file, but I don't use drop box or anything exactly like that.  Normally I would use Wetransfer, but that requires a recipient  email.)

IMG_3065.jpg

Okay, so accessing it directly did not work.  Exactly how do you have the library folder defined in the library setup?

nickysilver

Again, not sure what you mean (I AM really sorry not to more savvy about this)

I mean there's a screenshot of the folder as it appears in my server settings.

Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at  8.16. PMSep 22, 2021.jpg

If I remember correct, you can access file on Shield TV from your Mac correct?

Can you show us a pic of navigating to that move 2 location on your mac?

nickysilver

you mean you want to see the path?

that's pretty much all you see. you connect to the shield on your network, select the drive and then wait 1o minutes while 2400 movies load.

i can do a screenshot of the path in the morning.

it's one am here--i'm in london.

nickysilver

Good morning  (9 am here) Here's a screenshot of what I see to connect to the drive and see the movie.(Doesn't show too much.) I haven't encountered this on other movies, btw.  (I should, I guess, try to reencode the movie and replace it, but that'll have to wait till tonight or tomorrow (I work today. I do volunteer work at a charity shop 3 days a week.)

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at  9.18. AMSep 23, 2021.jpg

Edited by nickysilver
new thought