Add grouping tabs for "Audio books" libraries to Roku app

PaperPlayn

PaperPlayn

I have three libraries:

• Audios ("Audio books")
  • Music ("Music")
  • Film & Video ("Movies")

On the web app (pictured below) and on Android, all three of these have "tabs" for grouping at the top of the screen.

image.thumb.png.9fb7d69fba1248637ea7c506d8d9b31c.png

However, on the Roku app [which is up-to-date], only Music and Film & Video have these tabs.  Audios does not display any of them.  (It groups by folders only and does not provide any other option.)  It could be a straight-up bug, but my assumption is that this behavior is linked to the type of library involved.  I cannot think of any good reason why this feature should not apply to all library types. 

Please investigate, and/or tell me if I maybe have something misconfigured.  Thank you!

Edited by PaperPlayn
typo

PaperPlayn

Hm, thanks.  Yes, that resolved the problem of the missing tabs, so I will wait for it in the next full release.

However, the Genre tab does not work.  All the others display contents correctly, but Genres displays nothing.  So something is amiss there.

imageserve?function=fetchFile&id=2e5040b4-9467-4085-b4c7-3131f2bc6d5a

Happy2Play
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  I cannot see your image but do the genres show properly in the web app?

Yes they show properly in web client but Roku returns no items.  The tabs are also different in Roku vs web client as I see AA, Artist, Album, Genre, and Folder in Roku vs the image above.

Only checked in 4.0.36 connected to release server 4.6.4.0.

PaperPlayn

I am running 4.6.1.0 server and whatever the current Roku beta is.  Yes, genres show up properly in the web app and on Android (latest).

1 hour ago, PaperPlayn said:

I am running 4.6.1.0 server and whatever the current Roku beta is.  Yes, genres show up properly in the web app and on Android (latest).

Is there a reason you haven't updated to 4.6.4?

PaperPlayn

Well, the couple of times I've done a server update in the past, the library has lost a lot of its manually assigned metadata (parental ratings, certain images, etc.--stuff that's not embedded in the media files themselves).  So to avoid that risk, I was waiting till there was an update with improvements that were significant for my own situation, and I haven't seen any in the changelogs so far.  So I've put it off.  :)

On 9/21/2021 at 12:42 PM, PaperPlayn said:

Hm, thanks.  Yes, that resolved the problem of the missing tabs, so I will wait for it in the next full release.

However, the Genre tab does not work.  All the others display contents correctly, but Genres displays nothing.  So something is amiss there.

imageserve?function=fetchFile&id=2e5040b4-9467-4085-b4c7-3131f2bc6d5a

Hi.  Please test the genre tab with the latest beta of the Roku app.

Thanks.

Happy2Play
50 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Please test the genre tab with the latest beta of the Roku app.

Thanks.

Yes genre is working in 4.0.37 in my tests.

• Thanks 1

PaperPlayn

One more related suggestion.  Each library seems to default to a given tab, but that default behavior does not seem to follow the web app, and there does not seem to be any way to set the default tab within the Roku app.  If those changes can be made, great.  If not, I think the next-best option would be for the app simply to remember which tab the user had most recently selected, and set that as the default.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, PaperPlayn said:

One more related suggestion.  Each library seems to default to a given tab, but that default behavior does not seem to follow the web app, and there does not seem to be any way to set the default tab within the Roku app.  If those changes can be made, great.  If not, I think the next-best option would be for the app simply to remember which tab the user had most recently selected, and set that as the default.

You have to set the behavior in Roku client.  Enter the library and click the star key.

PaperPlayn

Gotcha.  I think I had tested that cog in the production app, and then neglected to try it again in the beta, where I see it's different now.  Thanks for your patience!

• 3 weeks later...
PaperPlayn
On 9/22/2021 at 8:24 AM, PaperPlayn said:

Well, the couple of times I've done a server update in the past, the library has lost a lot of its manually assigned metadata (parental ratings, certain images, etc.--stuff that's not embedded in the media files themselves).  So to avoid that risk, I was waiting till there was an update with improvements that were significant for my own situation, and I haven't seen any in the changelogs so far.  So I've put it off.  :)

Hi, Luke, I'm reporting back on this tangential discussion.  I did a server update today to 4.6.4, via the console, and all the settings seem to have been retained.  So maybe it was a fluke, or more likely user-error, last time.  :)  I will plan to perform regular updates in the future.

• Like 1