Jump to content

Play from start while still recording - hardware not up to it?


Go to solution Solved by SolentUK,

Recommended Posts

SolentUK

Server: Windows 10 Home, Intel Celeron N4100 @ 1.10Ghz, 4GB RAM, 1TB SSD (primary) & 256GB eMMC (transcoding temp files). 

Client: Google TV with Chromecast. Mostly playback will Direct Stream. 

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Connect Duo for Live TV and PVR.

 

I have a persistent problem with play back from the start if the same programme is still recording. The playback freezes and pauses. Skipping backwards or forwards generally makes it worse, or causes a complete failure. Playback when not recording is good.

I know this has been reported before and I've tried some of the suggested fixes, eg putting the recordings and the transcoding temp files on different drives. No luck yet.

I suspect the hardware isn't quite up to it, but I'm not sure which bit needs an upgrade - processor? storage? memory? 

I've attached logs, recreating the problem at approx. 10.44am - recording BBC1, playback froze within a few seconds of starting. 

Anyone able to help?

ffmpeg-remux-951ac67a-4c8f-4b6f-a497-46d215fe1bc0_1.txt embyserver.txt

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Hi, Just for a test try moving your DVR recording path to your 1TB SSD and then record something and try and watch.

With both the recording and transcoding taking place on different SSDs that should be pretty fast IO for the storage.
That will at least give you a clue if it's drive related.

Edited by cayars
Link to post
Share on other sites
SolentUK
57 minutes ago, cayars said:

Hi, Just for a test try moving your DVR recording path to your 1TB SSD and then record something and try and watch.

With both the recording and transcoding taking place on different SSDs that should be pretty fast IO for the storage.
That will at least give you a clue if it's drive related.

That is the set up at the moment. Recording path is on C drive (the 1TB SSD), transcoding temp files are on D drive (the smaller eMMC drive). I read that might help, but it's still happening. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SolentUK
23 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

What about playback for the same on other clients, does it happen there as well? 

 

I've just tried some others out. Playback on the web app attempts some hardware transcoding (Quicksync) but doesn't get as far as actually playing anything - just a black screen.

The Samsung TV app doesn't have an option to play from start, but seems able to play the programme live. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Q-Droid

Web app on the same machine or separate? Is the Samsung app playing the recording which you could navigate or a separate stream? 

Trying to isolate and figure out if it's specific to Chromecast without adding to the server load. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SolentUK
13 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Web app on the same machine or separate? Is the Samsung app playing the recording which you could navigate or a separate stream? 

Trying to isolate and figure out if it's specific to Chromecast without adding to the server load. 

Web app was playing on a separate laptop.

 

Samsung TV was playing the same channel as the recording but it couldn't navigate back before the point I started playback (ie I don't think it couldn't access the recording). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Q-Droid

Is playback of completed recordings good? I'm wondering if anti-virus real time scanning could be bogging things down. Recording involves writing to multiple files and playback adds creation of many more files. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SolentUK
20 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Is playback of completed recordings good? I'm wondering if anti-virus real time scanning could be bogging things down. Recording involves writing to multiple files and playback adds creation of many more files. 

 

Recordings are perfect - no problems at all. It's just the playback while recording that causes problems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
cayars

Yes, any type of security software that checks file on read and/or write can cause problems for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SolentUK
23 minutes ago, cayars said:

Yes, any type of security software that checks file on read and/or write can cause problems for sure.

I'm just using Windows Defender, nothing else. It does have a "real-time protection" but I don't think you can turn that off without disabling the whole thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Q-Droid

I was here to post that in Defender you can exclude paths (folders) from monitoring and if you want to get more granular exclude file types and specific files.

But if Defender is off and you still have problems then perhaps playback of active recordings just pushes your server over the limit of what it can do.

 

 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Solution
SolentUK

I tried running the Emby server on a borrowed laptop with a faster processor - same setup otherwise. Everything worked perfectly - it could record two HD channels and watch one of them from the start, no problems. So I think that is the problem. Thanks for your help.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...