Channel numbers in setup all out of order

sross44

sross44

I have my IPTV setup through xTeVe (to filter out a lot of the channels before loading in to Emby). Emby recognizes the tuner, and everything plays really well. But when I go to edit channels in the admin panel and click on Channels under Live TV/DVR all the channel numbers are out of order. Makes it really hard to do anything with them being so completely random. 

Is there a reason it’s pulling this way? I’d think that it should pull the channel numbers from the tuner? Or is there a way to organize them differently/sort by number etc? 

sross44

Also, does Emby allow for filtering of M3U files like xTeVe? Would be awesome if it did either now or down the road! Would love to eliminate the need for xTeVe if possible 

1 hour ago, sross44 said:

I have my IPTV setup through xTeVe (to filter out a lot of the channels before loading in to Emby). Emby recognizes the tuner, and everything plays really well. But when I go to edit channels in the admin panel and click on Channels under Live TV/DVR all the channel numbers are out of order. Makes it really hard to do anything with them being so completely random. 

Is there a reason it’s pulling this way? I’d think that it should pull the channel numbers from the tuner? Or is there a way to organize them differently/sort by number etc? 

Hi, the default channel order in Emby Server will be the same order that they're listed in the m3u. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, sross44 said:

Also, does Emby allow for filtering of M3U files like xTeVe? Would be awesome if it did either now or down the road! Would love to eliminate the need for xTeVe if possible 

Yes, in the Emby Server channel management section, simply use the checkboxes to exclude the channels you don't want to import.

sross44
35 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yes, in the Emby Server channel management section, simply use the checkboxes to exclude the channels you don't want to import.

Yes I use that feature and it’s super helpful (live TV on Emby has really come along way and rocks now)  but didn’t know if there was a way to filter channel groups. So for example, xTeVe allows you to create filtered playlists like sports where only the sports channels show (assuming they’re marked correctly in the m3u). When you have a large amount of channels, something like this would be massive to allow us to do that within Emby. 

No filter for Channel setup to eliminate channels.  However any groups will get imported as tags in Emby so in the guide view you can filter on these "categories" to only show channels with the tags.

BillOatman
7 hours ago, cayars said:

No filter for Channel setup to eliminate channels.  However any groups will get imported as tags in Emby so in the guide view you can filter on these "categories" to only show channels with the tags.

<sigh> I keep forgetting to try this.  Could make the guide scrolling much better for my remote kids using it!

sross44
10 hours ago, cayars said:

Any chance this is something that may be implemented down the road? It would be an awesome feature for Live TV on Emby! Just my two cents though lol 

It's planned to be added to Emby Server.

Let me ask you this.  Would it be helpful to you to have a small command line utility that could process an m3u file removing any entry matching a string(s) or group(s)?
Or possibly only keeping entries matching a certain string(s) or group(s)? Either way it could reduce the amount of channels an m3u has in it.

I know it's not ideal, but this could be scheduled to run at a specific time, such as 3:45 am.  In Emby you can already change the schedule for importing Live TV so this could be set to run at 3:50 am.

Would something like this help temporarily until this is built into the server?
If so I could look around to see if anything like it exists or I could just write it myself.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

It's planned to be added to Emby Server.

Let me ask you this.  Would it be helpful to you to have a small command line utility that could process an m3u file removing any entry matching a string(s) or group(s)?
Or possibly only keeping entries matching a certain string(s) or group(s)? Either way it could reduce the amount of channels an m3u has in it.

I know it's not ideal, but this could be scheduled to run at a specific time, such as 3:45 am.  In Emby you can already change the schedule for importing Live TV so this could be set to run at 3:50 am.

Would something like this help temporarily until this is built into the server?
If so I could look around to see if anything like it exists or I could just write it myself. BUt yes a cli type command would already be helpfull to eleminate some large groups.

Actually just the option to deselect themm all and just pick the ones you need would be very helpfull. 

But yes having some CLI to get rid of some large groups would be helpfull.

Edited by k9952000
  • Agree 1

Tried a few downloadable m3u editors and they all crashed or didn't have the features we want.

However I did find two possibilities but don't have time to test right now.

First is using SED and you can find info on this in the NextPVR forum here:
https://forums.nextpvr.com/showthread.php?tid=58571

This is a more focused IPTV editing tool in Java using Node.js
https://github.com/pemre/iptv-cli

Let me know how you make out.

sross44
On 9/21/2021 at 5:14 PM, k9952000 said:

Actually just the option to deselect themm all and just pick the ones you need would be very helpfull. 

But yes having some CLI to get rid of some large groups would be helpfull.

That would be awesome as well! 

I stopped dead on this as I tried http://m3u4u.com/ again and it's great for modifying M3Us.
The only bad thing is that you don't want to point Emby directly at their site but instead setup a schedule to pull the m3u and xml file one time per day using CURL (windows too).
Then just setup the tuner and guide to use the local files.

sross44

For the most part.... the questions have been answered. Implementation on a few things is definitely wanted though. Thanks for checking in!