IMDB Id Issue?

kandiman

kandiman

Hey all, this has been driving me crazy for awhile when I go to IDENTIFY a movie using a IMDB Id it never pulls up the movie, one example is this movie https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15348026/ I assume I'm doing it correctly entering this number into Emby tt15348026

Are the results only pulled from TheMovieDb ?

Hi, Emby itself doesn't use IMDB for meta-data but some other meta-data providers Emby does use will have the IMDB reference ID.
So that allows Emby to search for the IMDB ID.

kandiman

Thanks cayars that makes sense, so I guess you will always have to add the metadata manually if the movie exists on IMDB and not on themoviedb

Edited by kandiman

gillmacca01
3 minutes ago, kandiman said:

Thanks cayars that makes sense, so I guess you will always have to add the metadata manually if the movie exists on IMDB and not on themoviedb

If the movie is not on themoviedb, you could always add it, along with the IMDB ID

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 9:20 AM, cayars said:

Hi, Emby itself doesn't use IMDB for meta-data but some other meta-data providers Emby does use will have the IMDB reference ID.
So that allows Emby to search for the IMDB ID.

Is it a licensing issue why Emby doesn't use iMDB. Would also be nice to get ratings from Rotten Tomatoes like I can in Plex.

Happy2Play
On 9/20/2021 at 9:22 AM, kandiman said:

Correct, you have OMDB also but if it doesn't exist then yes you have to manually enter metadata or add the metadata to TMDB.  But there are lots of cases where these TV Movies don't really exist on providers.

What looks like happened to me is a lot of movies just copied the MovieDB ID to the IMDB ID and the ratings are all messed up. Refreshing the metadata did not fix it. On my Plex server all the ratings are fine along with Rotten Tomatoes ratings.

Just now, dcol said:

What looks like happened to me is a lot of movies just copied the MovieDB ID to the IMDB ID and the ratings are all messed up. Refreshing the metadata did not fix it. On my Plex server all the ratings are fine along with Rotten Tomatoes ratings.

There's nothing in the server that will do that, so that's probably due to having bad data in nfo files.

Just now, Luke said:

There's nothing in the server that will do that, so that's probably due to having bad data in nfo files.

Doesn't Emby create the NFO files? I didn't mess with them

Happy2Play
12 minutes ago, dcol said:

How did you get the percentages?

If available they come from OMDB, otherwise manually.

1 minute ago, dcol said:

I guess you could use something like notepad++ to search every nfo and clear that field, then refresh.

1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

If available they come from OMDB, otherwise manually.

I guess you could use something like notepad++ to search every nfo and clear that field, then refresh.

Good suggestion. I did manually clear that field in the edit metadata settings and the IMDB came back on a refresh.

Just now, dcol said:

Good suggestion. I did manually clear that field in the edit metadata settings and the IMDB came back on a refresh.

One possible reason is that nfo saving is not enabled, so you have bad data in an nfo file, but you're not allowing the server to update it after fixing it manually. So that's why a refresh just brings it back.

• Like 1

If that's the I think you can turn off NFO reader, Run a refresh meta for missing and when finished turn the NFO reader back on.
Does that sound correct @Luke if this is the issue?

It's possible but without going into detail these are just best guesses based on what we commonly see.

I deleted the NFO for one movie and it created it again with the same incorrect imdb ID. I attached the NFO. If I delete the imdb ID in settings, it then gets the correct ID

Onus.nfo

Edited by dcol

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, dcol said:

I deleted the NFO for one movie and it created it again with the same incorrect imdb ID. I attached the NFO. If I delete the imdb ID in settings, it then gets the correct ID

Onus.nfo 2.55 kB · 0 downloads

Since Emby reuses existin providerids it just spit out what was already in the database.  Only Identify will change existing providerids.  So deleting the nfo does not really do anything.

So removing all imbdids from nfos, then doing a Refresh Search for Missing should populate them.

Deleting the imdb tags in the nfo's didn't work, it actually really screwed up the database. So I deleted the library and recreated it. Now everything looks normal. There should be a better way. Seems everytime I make a major settings change I end up having to delete the library. Guess it doesn't delete everything when you make some changes.

there are still a handful of movies that did not upload the imdb rating. They have the correct ID and pull in the rest of the data. Any idea why this happens?

Happy2Play
Just now, dcol said:

there are still a handful of movies that did not upload the imdb rating. They have the correct ID and pull in the rest of the data. Any idea why this happens?

Would need to go over specific examples but all ratings come from TMDB and/or OMDB.

identity actually doesn,t get the ratings for movies that didn,t get them with the refresh. These movies have the imdb and tmdb ID,s. For these movies I have to enter the ratings manually in edit metadata.