Emby Mac on Roku TV suddenly showing ONLY subfolders in "Movies"

RandyMcD

It seems this has started only since the latest server "update". 🙄

Before, on our Roku TV when we went to "Movies," we could see ALL movies, the entire library, in user-defined order.

Now, suddenly, when we go to "Movies," it ONLY shows our subfolders, such as "Action Adventure," "Comedy," "Drama," etc. I cannot find any way to alter this behavior.

On the COMPUTER (Mac) Emby screen, there is click-menu along the top of the screen that allows me to select "Movies. Collections. Genres. Folders" (see attached screen shot).

But it keeps defaulting to "Folders," and on the Roku TV, there is no such click-menu to change from "Folders" to "Movies"!

It wasn't broken before, and now it's totally broken, making it a misery to try to browse the entire movie library. This is on a TCL Roku TV. The system software is up to date, and the Emby app is up to date.

Please advise.

EmbyMacComputerScreen.png

3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Check the type of the library and be sure it is "Movies" and not "Mixed Content".

I'd be happy to if I knew how or where to do so. In any case, I certainly didn't change any such designation myself. As I said, Emby was working fine for browsing all my Movies by title before the last update. Now suddenly it's changed, and I didn't change anything. If it somehow got changed without my participation, I'd need you to tell me how that happened, and how and where to revert it.

3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes that image suggest library content type change.

an example of one of my test libraries

image.thumb.png.ac2dd300ac146a76d44f40dc2d14398a.png

How to Change the Content Type for a Library - Tutorials and Guides - Emby Community

Regrettably, the link you supplied has a detailed description for how to do something on a Windows machine, and, as I said in the title and original post, this is happening on a Mac.

The description at that link bears no resemblance whatsoever to anything on my MAC system drive—which of course includes my own files under Users. Also, there is no file anywhere on my Mac system drive, at all, named "options.xml," and of course that is the crucial file those instructions say I must edit within each folder for each Library:

To change the content type for a particular library enter the folder and you will find a file called options.xml

So to keep from wasting your time, and my time, and the time of everyone interested in this issue, I would be very grateful for replies that are responsive to the issue I'm trying to resolve, giving steps that have relevance to how to fix this on a Mac. Thanks.

Happy2Play

My understand is you will follow those directions on that specific library in "Data path: /Users/{username}/.config/emby-server/root/default"

Only thing different across platforms will be path.

Now you will need to do this on every library that does not show the correct content type on dashboard-library.

@cayarsdo we need instructions for users to find their platform data path?

8 hours ago, RandyMcD said:

Great. So how and where do I reach @cayers?

Happy2Play already gave you the link on how to make this change.

7 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

My understand is you will follow those directions on that specific library in "Data path: /Users/{username}/.config/emby-server/root/default"

Only thing different across platforms will be path.

Now you will need to do this on every library that does not show the correct content type on dashboard-library.

@cayarsdo we need instructions for users to find their platform data path?

@RandyMcD can you try the folder Happy2Play just mentioned.  If that doesn't exist post a screen shot from the Dashboard of the paths Emby is using.

16 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

The directory "config" with a dot in front of it is a directory that normally is invisible on a Mac, a crucial piece of information that until now had been omitted. That's why a Finder or Spotlight search could not find any of the associated files by name. Thank you. When I'm back at that computer I will now make invisibles visible and look into it.

Given that I never knew that any such folder or contained files even existed, so of course have never altered them, I still have this outstanding question that nobody has addressed:

Why did the latest update"break that function of being able to browse through ALL of my movie files, when it has been operating normally for the several years that I have had and used Emby?

And its corollary:

What can I do to prevent any future updates from doing the same thing again?

Happy2Play

Don't know if it has been identified as it does not affect everyone.

My guess would be older installations have different files in those folder so the original options.xml did not have this information as it came from other files.

image.png.7aa216ed307267e47447fd2d8ec2115c.png

vs

new method all info in one file

image.png.7cfa82321158e9ccb4274d3b4d98712b.png

9 hours ago, cayars said:

@RandyMcD can you try the folder Happy2Play just mentioned.  If that doesn't exist post a screen shot from the Dashboard of the paths Emby is using.

Thank you @cayars. Now that I know it's in an invisible folder, I will check it when I'm back at that computer and let you know.

See though, please, my remaining questions above.

We don't know if anything changed or not for a Movie library as that is what you're trying to solve.  Right now it's a mixed content library right?
Once you change it back to Movie library the views will be different.

16 hours ago, cayars said:

We don't know if anything changed or not for a Movie library as that is what you're trying to solve. 

I don't know how you can not know it. I have said it now in this thread repeatedly, and as simply worded as I can: I CHANGED NOTHING. THE APPEARANCE OF MY MOVIES FOLDER CHANGED WITH THE LAST UPDATE TO SHOWING ONLY FOLDERS, with NO OPTION TO SHOW THE COMPLETE LIBRARY OF INDIVIDUAL MOVIES. I'm not sure what you are unable to understand about this, but I can't explain it any more simply and exactly.

Right now it's a mixed content library right?

If it is a "mixed content library," EMBY changed it, not me. Years ago when I installed Emby I set up my Movies and TV folders exactly, precisely, according to the extant instructions at that time. And since then I have put Movies in the Movie folder. And ever since then it has all worked swimmingly until the last update.

So since you're asking me questions I don't have the answer to. I'll ask a few that you should be able to answer easily:

1. Why is there no obvious user-facing front-end indication of what type of library each library is—I mean other than the NAME, which apparently means nothing, given that the library I am having trouble le with it named MOVIES?

2. Why is there no obvious user-facing front-end option for CHANGING the type of library for any library with a click, instead of having to go searching for and editing text files hidden inside invisible folder (with no documentation I can find that they are invisible)?

3. Couldn't a simple clickable interface WRITE TO the xml files without a user having to do that in a text editor?

Once you change it back to Movie library the views will be different.

Okay. I'll find out if that works tonight when I'm able to dig up and edit the heretofore invisible text files. Meanwhile, I'll say it again because it seems to be elusive to those responding here: I NEVER CHANGED IT FROM BEING A MOVIE LIBRARY.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, RandyMcD said:

I NEVER CHANGED IT FROM BEING A MOVIE LIBRARY.

We know as it has already been stated a server change did it and now you have to correct the issue.  Your options are the fix provided or removing and readding your libraries.

Hi, I apologize for the frustration. There were a few sporadic reports with the last server release of this happening to a few people. We apologize for the issue.

@cayars can give you a quick way to easily correct this and change it back.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

We were already working on it Luke but he couldn't find the folder because he's on a Mac.

...and was given instructions for finding it on a different operating system—which, surprisingly enough, were not adequate or applicable to the situation at hand. Having gotten that corrected, it remains only now for the time and opportunity to address them, coming up tonight late.

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

We know as it has already been stated a server change did it ...

I'm not sure who you include in your "we," but I was replying to @cayars, who had said just above:

We don't know if anything changed or not for a Movie library ...

So apparently there are a number of different "we" groups in play at your end, one of which does know and the other of which does not or did not know. Meanwhile, I know with utter certainty that I didn't change it, but, as you point out—again—it is I who will have to fix it, using one of my several options (which number more than the two you assigned to me).

Happy2Play

Yep we as a community.  But all we can do is point you in the right direction as we as testers/devs/mods have not been able to reproduce the issue you and others have. 

But my guess is age of install as already shown a new install is different then a old install.

• Agree 1