Xiaomi Mi Stick: DTS/DD5.1 sometimes works, sometimes doesn´t

advd2006
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hello. I use Emby Android TV app, unlocked. I have Xiaomi Mi Stick conected to my tv. I stream my movies and tv shows from my computer (Emby server, Linux)

My TV can output raw sound to home theatre by optical cable. My home theatre can decode DD5.1 and DTS/DTS-HD among other audio formats.
Xiaomi Mi Stick can decode DTS/DTS-HD, DD5.1 and others.

I love Emby because I could direct play movies, and the interface is so beautiful. I don´t use the home theatre because it's loud for my living room. But I do turn it on for special movies (Avengers, Back to the future, Spielberg Sci-Fi, horror and others).
1) The problem is Emby outputs only PCM sound.
When I use VLC android TV player app, I get perfect DTS or DD5.1 sound in every case. So Xiaomi Mi Stick Android TV works. I think maybe an Emby bug.
2) Then I configure Mi Stick sound to automatic sound output. It should automatically output raw: dts/dd5.1 according to the movie, but it doesn´t.
3) I change it back to select which type of sound supports and check all of them (DTS, Dolby Atmos, AAC, etc).
4) I exit Emby, enter again. Most of the times now DTS/DD5.1 works again. Sometimes it doesn't.
5) If I turn off TV and the stick, turn on again Emby outputs PCM 2.0
Why Netflix and VLC apps output correctly DD5.1 and DTS and Emby doesn't ?

Thank you for your help

Hi.  The main issue here is going to be related to going through your TV with an optical connection.  With optical, the app has no way of knowing what is supported to pass through.  The TV has to tell it properly. 

Try setting the TV sound to automatic and then enter the playback settings in the app.  Are there options there for DTS?

• Like 1

Hi, if your sound system support Atmos and DTS-HD it will have HDMI in which you should use instead of optical which has limited bandwidth.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, ebr said:

With optical, the app has no way of knowing what is supported to pass through.  The TV has to tell it properly. 
"

"Yes, assuming your TV has an ARC or audio out HDMI port."

Thank you @ebr.  With your 2 answers I figured to config my TV to "ARC first" setting, so it worked. Now DTS or DD5.1 movies play right.

• Thanks 1