shield tv pause tv and continue watching

badwhip

i will be watching a show and pause it for whatver reason and when it times out on android like when screen saver comes on and i hit a button to get back to show it will go back to the season selection menu and when i back out and see if it has continue watching its not there. i have to go back to the season and epsiode and it will remember where it left off. but when i do a shuffle of the tv series i dont pay attention to season or episiod so it get hard to find.

• Agree 1

I have this happen to me as well.  I went into the Shield TV system menu and change the settings for this so it doesn't happen.

You can adjust the time before the screen saver kicks in or turn it off.

Have something paused when the Shield TV screen saver kicks in.  When that happens it stops the current stream and drops you back to the menu.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Have something paused when the Shield TV screen saver kicks in.  When that happens it stops the current stream and drops you back to the menu.

That's not the actual issue he's reporting.  That is by design.  However, there is an option now to change that behavior.

What he is saying is that, when that happens, his continue watching isn't updated.  I'm thinking this is due to the combined continue watching and him shuffle playing the series.  So, he doesn't see the item he expects to.

• Like 1

justinrh
On 9/17/2021 at 10:10 AM, ebr said:

there is an option now to change that behavior

Can you enlighten us, @ebr?

Cayars' change to the screen saver is just a work around for poor behavior.  The Emby behavior he describes might be by design, but I'll say that I don't like that design.  It certainly is not expected behavior.  It is annoying and I've been meaning to post it.

Happy2Play

Since the combined Continues Watching/Next Up can only track one item from a Series you will never see multiple item or possibly items played out of order.

You need both rows Continue Watching and Next Up legacy to see any item with a Continue Watching/Resume point.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Can you enlighten us, @ebr?

Cayars' change to the screen saver is just a work around for poor behavior.  The Emby behavior he describes might be by design, but I'll say that I don't like that design.  It certainly is not expected behavior.  It is annoying and I've been meaning to post it.

Ignore what I said before.  ebr pointed out to me I was thinking of something a bit different than what you were reporting. After going back reading the issue again I agree.

justinrh
22 minutes ago, cayars said:

I was thinking of something a bit different than what you were reporting

Cayars, I didn't report anything.  I was agreeing with the behavior you described, which is not what the OP is about.  So we kinda hijacked the OP; my apologies, badwhip.

1 hour ago, justinrh said:

Can you enlighten us

There is a new setting for this behavior but it is currently only in the beta.

ok sorry for the delay its been a busy week. i have recreated the situation and posting the log.

here is the situation

i have a tv series with several seasons i go to shuffle all and it picks an episoid and begins playing that one. i pause it to go do something and the screen times out and returns to the screen were all the season are and has the resume play there but it isnt the one i was watching. it also doesnt show up in the continue watching menu. if i was smart enough to take notice of the season and episode i was watching i can go to it and it will be right were i left off. now i can say i have had it work right but more offten it doesnt.

on this log it didnt go to it when it went back to the selection menu it had another show to resume but it was in the continue watching place after i backed out of that menu which it doest do that allot.

embyserver(1).txt

Okay, so I think Happy is probably right here.  With the new Continue Watching row, each series will only show the "next up" episode which may not be the one in progress if you are watching out of order - especially, if all or most of the episodes are marked watched.

well isnt continue watching supose to be like say you are watching an episode and u have to leave for a while and turn off the shiled and come back you should beable to pick up right were u left off? i have five shows in my continue watch were i left home and did something or i stopped watching that show to watch something else and that current show shows up there were i left off.

Happy2Play

If you enable Next Up (Legacy) also as a Home Screen row do you get the behavior you are expecting?

here is a log of the bug in full.

watching a tv show on shuffle all.

in middle of episiode and i receive a call i pause tv to talk and the sheid tv times out and goes into picture mode and displays a picture while i hear the theme music in backgroud as it went back to the tv series home screen. the plays4 epsiode 18 is on screen which is the next episiod so it canceled out the one i was in middel of on that screen but i can go to it in the season menu and it is where it was when i timed out. i aslo should see it in the home screen under continue watching.

embyserver(2).txt

Happy2Play
On 9/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, Happy2Play said:

If you enable Next Up (Legacy) also as a Home Screen row do you get the behavior you are expecting?