Video pauses, transcoding continues

mark235

When I play 4K HDR10 content through the webapp in any browser (latest Edge, Chrome and Firefox), the web app will pause after 20 - 60 seconds of playback and will not continue. Trancoding occurs but is well above 1.00 speed. Direct playing 100+ mbit content with Emby Theather on the same Windows 10 laptop is not a problem, so bandwidth probably is not the issue here. 

Issue occurs only in the webapp, Emby Theater and Nvidia shield play the same file without problems, although the scenario is different there (Direct play or Remux)

ffmpeg-transcode-e7dc81cd-dcb4-46c9-9a84-0fe293df33a3_1.txt embyserver.txt

Then playback fails to start.

Edit: scratch that, my browser session was off. After restarting the browser, it does play in software, but, as expected, with abysmal performance, and no HDR tone mapping. 

Edited by mark235

And If I switch on internal subtitles, performance is also sub-par (17 frames or so), but the video does continue playing. This is with hardware transcoding enabled. Enabling or disabling subtitle extraction on the fly does not seem to affect this result

Bring up Stats for Nerds for the 4K video while it's playing.

What resolution does it show?

If it's trying to play as a 4K resolution it might be to much for it to handle.  What you can try is changing the quality down to a 1080 resolution profile in the player (cog menu) and see if that helps.

It shows 4k resolution. And yes, reducing quality to any 1080p profile resolves this issue. Thanks. This is fine, as my laptop display is 1080p, so this makes more sense anyway.

I am curious what the weak link is though. The web app and browsers support this scenario. And the Quadro P400 card in my server can keep up transcoding, as long as internal subtitles are disabled (40+ fps). Which component isn't cutting it?

Actually, changing to 1080p does not resolve the issue. I still had subtitles on during my last test. Switched them off and at 1080p the video also hangs shortly after playback starts.

A little confused by the last two posts and one mentions 40+ fps with subs off and it worked but the next message says they were on.

4k file >  4k output profile in webapp > HW acceleration on > internal subtitles off. Result: video freezes after a minute or so, as if paused. Cannot continue
4k file >  4k output profile in webapp > HW acceleration on > internal subtitles on. Result: video continues playing, but with stops/starts (bad transcoding speed)

Change: output profile to 1080p in the webapp. Result: same as above, except that it takes longer before the video freezes (several minutes). 
Change: Disable HW acceleration. Result: same as above

The only trigger that I can find that will resume the video upon freezing is changing the output profile a second time to something less than 4K

When you say 4K is this HDR or SDR file?

That doesn't seem to make sense that no subtitles will freeze but with subs on it doesn't.
It does make sense you would get pauses if the transcoder can't convert fast enough.

Is "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" in Transcode menu turned off for both of the above tests?

One thing for sure 4K media can be demanding in a browser and it's far better to use a dedicated app.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

When you say 4K is this HDR or SDR file?

HDR10

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Is "Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" in Transcode menu turned off for both of the above tests?

Yes. Turning it on does not affect the issue

1 hour ago, cayars said:

One thing for sure 4K media can be demanding in a browser and it's far better to use a dedicated app

Are you referring to resolution? or bitrate, or something else? I just tested a 20mbit 4k file, and can also reproduce the issue there. This is close to Netflix/Amazon bitrates.

I get that a dedicated app/player is better. I use the Shield whenever possible. But the webapp is very handy at times and it would be nice if 4k sources worked ok there

I will test with another laptop to see if this is somehow linked to the laptop used so far.

Edited by mark235

23 hours ago, mark235 said:

And If I switch on internal subtitles, performance is also sub-par (17 frames or so), but the video does continue playing. This is with hardware transcoding enabled. Enabling or disabling subtitle extraction on the fly does not seem to affect this result

The browser does not support PGS so it will have to be burned in with transcoding. Burning in subtitles is a very intensive process, even for a powerful server machine.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

The browser does not support PGS so it will have to be burned in with transcoding. Burning in subtitles is a very intensive process, even for a powerful server machine.

What I was trying to point out was the fact that the video kept playing, despite the pauses. I understand that performance is that scenario is going to be bad.