Option for real fullscreen/width of screen (ignore camera cut out)

red_

Hi there,

I just received my Pixel 5. It is my first Android phone with a camera cut out in the front. While using it for the first week, I found out some apps do a better job working around camera cut outs than others. Emby does a really god job in portrait mode, but is really, really bad in landscape mode.

So what is it that I want? I want te ability to watch full screen video. Yes, I know this means I will have a little black hole in some of my movies and series in the left bottom corner. But it's always less black mass than all the extra black borders you get when handling fullscreen video in landscape mode like the build in video player is causing at the moment.

To illustrate, I've two examples.

1. A screenshot from the Android Emby app GUI in landscape and portret. Here you see that the GUI looks nice and perfect in portret, but already cuts of the left side in landscap. Not really a big deal, but it would be nice to have the option to decide this yourself. 
  2. A screenshot while playing a video, comparing the Android Emby build-in video player with VLC. Here you see that VLC will give you the option for real fullscreen video. Emby doesn't. Also the scaling options in the menu while playing video don't change this, you'll always keep the black border on the left because of the camera cut out.

Example 1:
emby_android_menu_portrait.thumb.png.e9645afc661b354153510ee57cb9fbc0.png
Emby Android app behaving nicely in portrait

emby_android_menu_landscape.thumb.png.99d8ebaabb64f3fca85ba6b7725b6199.png
Emby Android app behaving badly in landscape

Example 2:
emby_android_video_build_in.thumb.png.5165fe38cc26576f2297db7dda20101f.png
Emby Android app behaving badly in landscape

emby_android_video_vlc.thumb.png.2b4f26ba68a64b513f97e4ccbce210a0.png
VLC Android app behaving nicely in landscape

Is this something we (you..) could fix? Or at least give users the option how to cope with the front camera cut out.
Not sure if it is exactly this, but I found: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/display-cutout

• 3 weeks later...
420tushar

go to you phone settings> Display>full screen display of apps or display at the top of the screen (name maybe different according to devices)> make emby full screen did worked for me 

Sadly this option isn't available on my Pixel 5.  It's probably a rom specific feature. There are some apps in the Play store (which need or don't need root) but they also doesn't seem to work. 

4 hours ago, 420tushar said:

go to you phone settings> Display>full screen display of apps or display at the top of the screen (name maybe different according to devices)> make emby full screen did worked for me 

Is this option on stock android?

Probably not. Not in AOSP/Stock. My guessing why they didn't do this so far is because of the many different implementations of the front camera. So only a manufacturer know if it's a good idea to enable this. As you could theoretically lose important stuff on the screen behind the camera (menu/text/buttons).

Most apps which have implemented it in their app, only go to real full screen when playing landscape video, like YouTube!

My first image is the main page from the Android YouTube app, here you see kind of the same pattern as with Emby. They just indent/ignore the left part where the camera is. But if you switch to playing a video (image 2), the video shows over the complete screen, but the menu items are still beginning after the camera so you won't lose any text/buttons/other important stuff.

Screenshot_20211013-155915.png

Screenshot_20211013-155941.png

• 4 months later...
marcquinn

//Alternative solution for rooted users, requires Xposed/LSPosed - 

1. Install and Enable NoDisplayCutout in Xposed (LSPosed...) Manager.
  2. Select the scope of the module (i.e. Emby).

tested and works on my Pixel 5 (Android12).

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, KahanBhalani said:

Any updates on this feature?

Hi, more options for this are possible for future updates. Thanks.