Emby Server for DSM7 Now in Synology Package Center

Luke

We're still going through the approval process for our DSM6 packages, but for DSM7 the stable release is now available.

I'll get the website updated as soon as I can. Thanks everyone.

syno.jpg

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

Yes if on the release version.  If using the beta version you would install that manually at least for now.

FrostByte

Check the Auto-update setting in Package Center.  I'm on beta, but if you're on the stable release and it's still grayed out, then it may require you to manually update once from the Synology store before you can check that box.  Someone else on stable reported theirs is grayed out still.  I don't know if the Synology store will auto-update the releases Emby puts out for download in spk as there may be no link there so it may take until the second update for it all to work out.

Also, make sure Auto-update is on in Emby dashboard. 

If it's still not auto-updating after the second update then something may be wrong.

syno2.jpg.6d7e21fd294938375aa40b8c22c30efb.jpg

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

demon1300

Hi Guys,

I was pleased to see that Emby was finally available in the Synology package store after trying to install it manually was failing (

Looks like the issue persists with the 'official' package now as well, with the install failing with only the followin error in the GUI:

image.thumb.png.4e78fff04417461dc23f052fbcd8552c.png

Any ideas on how to go about getting this fixed?  I'd really love to get Emby going again without resorting to running it in docker...

Cheers, Rob

Have you tried again, just in case you got a bad download or something?

What NAS are you running?
What country are you in?

demon1300
13 hours ago, cayars said:

Have you tried again, just in case you got a bad download or something?

What NAS are you running?
What country are you in?

Yeah have tried multiple times, same issue.

NAS is a DS1515+

Country is Australia

Are you trying to install the beta or release version of Emby Server?

You are running DSM 7 correct?

FrostByte

Not sure it will upgrade a DSM6 install.  You may have to do the first one manually yourself.

LOL, hopefully the Synology store is smart enough to not show a DSM7 app to someone on DSM6 😃

Edited by FrostByte
  • Agree 1

Yes absolutely.

This is a pic from my system running the manually install beta.  But it still tells you the latest version on the store.  So it's integrated.
image.thumb.png.3553d44d9d50bab8fb14bbb8da9e4b02.png

• Like 2

FrostByte

The only issue I see is that auto update for Emby is disabled in PC which I hope works itself out after the first install from the store

• Like 2

• Hey guys, DS220+ currently running DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 2 and Emby 4.6.4.0 - with no issues whatsoever.
  • I am thinking I will go ahead and update to DSM7. Do I need to do anything with Emby prior?
  • Or can I simply update to DSM7 then go to Package Center and upgrade Emby to DSM7 4.6.4.0?

Many Thanks!,

Jeff

There is a bit more to it then that to migrate Emby from DSM 6 to DSM 7.  Check out this thread with instructions in the first post

That post includes a video you can down and watch.

It's not hard to follow but requires several steps.

On 16/09/2021 at 22:58, FrostByte said:

Someone else on stable reported theirs is grayed out still.  I don't know if the Synology store will auto-update the releases Emby puts out for download in spk as there may be no link there so it may take until the second update for it all to work out.

Tried a reinstall but the auto update is still greyed out

• Sad 1

Thanks @cayars - fully successful migration on a my buddies DS218J with no issues whatsoever, including pulling Emby from Synology Package Center. Will migrate my DS220+ later today and will report back. Well done fellas.

Jeff

• Like 1

@cayars DS220+ migration completed as well, ZERO issues. Everything worked and works perfect. Was even faster than the older and under powered DS218J. Thanks again.

Jeff

Edited by JSopha

@cayars - interesting behavior post migration. Got a Synology service log error about 20 minutes after migration: "System failed to export shared folder [Emby] configurations due to folder [/volume1/Emby] missing on filesystem. Please reboot and try again.

For the record - I did rename the /volume1/Emby to /volume1/Emby6 (via SSH) when I initially did the migration. I'm thinking that may be the culprit here. I think I misunderstood the instructions at that point...see below.

After I rebooted, I got new entries in the Synology Log Center that said: 

1. Metadata of shared folder [Emby] was deleted
  2. Normal Shared folder [Emby6] was created
  3. Share [Emby6] was restored

Any thoughts on what is going on there? Perhaps the rename of /volume1/Emby was not needed? For what it's worth, Emby continues to run fine after the reboot. Or is this all on me - did I confusingly use the mv command in putty to rename the folder and then Synology was looking for it? Should I have simply renamed the share via the Control Panel - Shared Folder widget after I restarted the Emby service? 

And - does it not really matter as that shared folder should no longer be reference/needed anyhow? Meaning - if my OCD tendencies hate the shared folder Emby6 - can I just delete it since it is no longer needed?

Thanks - Jeff

Edited by JSopha

3 hours ago, JSopha said:

System failed to export shared folder [Emby] configurations due to folder [/volume1/Emby] missing on filesystem. Please reboot and try again.

Is there anything more to the log than that?  That doesn't really tell us much.

Did you uninstall Emby on DSM 6 before you upgraded DSM?

@cayars 

"Is there anything more to the log than that?  That doesn't really tell us much."  - No, not much else. See attached.

image.thumb.png.b066c9d45c16c9b4d69bcffe5c7366aa.png

"Did you uninstall Emby on DSM 6 before you upgraded DSM?" - Yes. Like I said. all went well and continues to go well. The only thing I did was use the mv command in ssh to change the name of the /volume1/Emby folder while I was in root to /volume1/Emby6. I should have waited to simply change the shared folder name via the Control Panel while in DSM. My guess is that the folder name was changed at root, but the config for the backup couldn't find it so it reported the error. Upon reboot, DSM recognized the folder with the new name and simply "corrected" the share name. But that is just my guess - would not have suspected DSM to be advanced enough to do so. Just a glitch in the Matrix...caused by my efforts to go fast on the migration...

That said, the original "Emby" shared folder was created by the Emby 4.6.4.0 (for DSM6) package install. From what I understand, it is no longer needed for the DSM7 version of 4.6.4.0. Upon checking permissions for that share, I see that the internal application "emby" does not even have read/write" access. So, I'm thinking the original "Emby" shared folder, now named "Emby6" can safely be deleted from the shared folders within Control Panel in DSM.

Am I correct?

5 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I deleted my old Emby folder after a week, but cayars would probably know best.

Yeah - I don't think my mistake is too harmful. Just looking for confirmation that i can safely delete the old shared folder - regardless of what i renamed it to.

Share6 to me looks like it's a share setup on an External Drive.

Do you by any chance have a share named Emby6 on USB/eSATA?

8 minutes ago, cayars said:

Share6 to me looks like it's a share setup on an External Drive.

Do you by any chance have a share named Emby6 on USB/eSATA?

No - I am 100% certain it is the old Emby share that was created for the DSM 6 version of Emby Server. See attached photo for contents.

image.png.6deb0455cdcea65e1cb0811099fc00fe.png