What is locking all my tuners?

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy
MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: M3U simultaneous stream limit has been reached.

I only have one stream going. Only one is showing in the dashboard. Simultaneous stream limit is set to 5. Normally I can use all 5 streams but when this happens, I have to restart Emby. Is this a common issue? How should I troubleshoot? This has always been an issue for me, across two different servers.

Thanks!

• Agree 1

Hi, this can happen when apps are closed or shutdown without exiting playback first.  The server doesn't get a playback stop command so the stream is technically left open and is counted by Emby.

However with an m3u tuner since the server is likely not pulling the stream anymore the provider may not be counting it as an active stream. You could try removing the limit you entered making it unlimited and do away with this problem.  Technically (you can test this) if you try and open a 6 th stream you will likely get an error message back and Emby will display an error message.

Give this a try and let us know how this works out for you.

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Okay,  suspected that. Roku may be the issue as it was with filling my transcode folder because of the same problem. I will say this though, I don't believe Roku only has issues from exiting ungracefully. Anytime I use my Roku, no matter how careful to back out and exit Emby, this eventually is an issue.

7 hours ago, cayars said:

However with an m3u tuner since the server is likely not pulling the stream anymore the provider may not be counting it as an active stream. You could try removing the limit you entered making it unlimited and do away with this problem.

I actually was thinking of why I need to set the limit anyway. It gives no indication in the app of why playback failed, it doesn't say you are out of tuners, so if my provider had blocked it instead I'm not sure what the difference would be, other than the message in the server logs. If Emby were tracking recordings like a DVR does and warning about conflicts, then I could understand. Maybe that's a planned feature?

7 hours ago, cayars said:

The server doesn't get a playback stop command so the stream is technically left open and is counted by Emby.

I guess I don't understand this part. How is Emby's dashboard aware that the stream ended but the back end is not? If it's being counted as an open tuner, why does it not show in the Dashboard? I guess I don't understand how there can't be server logic to determine that all tuners are occupied and only one is in the dashboard. It seems like the information is there for the taking.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

I honestly can't answer your question because I have the same question. :)

The Ruku sends a "heart beat' to the server so the server technically knows if a session is in use or not.

Something is a bit off obviously and Luke has been trying to identify and address it.

• Like 2

I hit the enter key to quickly.

The current beta has some fixes that are directly related to this.
If you are able to install the beta version on another machine to help test this that could be really helpful.

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Exciting! I have a second server I can test on but I use Docker so I'll have to look into how to get the beta into my container. Maybe it's as easy as adding a beta tag when I pull the image.

Thanks again, cayars. I will try to test it and give feedback.

martincom

I'm having the same issue.  With the cessation of Locast, I replaced our OTA antenna with a new omnidirectional, so my bride could watch the local channels (football).  I began noticing a Roku device being active for long periods of time, greater than 48 hours the first instance, and that it was transcoding (MPEG2 to H.264 AVC).  I believe my bride is powering the TV down when done viewing, but neglecting to exit the Emby app, leaving the live TV stream running.

1. It appears neither the Roku or Emby timers have any impact on live TV.  Can we change this?

2. Is it necessary to perform transcoding?  I have Emby installed on Server 2012 Essentials.  Essentials limits at two processors.

259410180_EmbyLiveTranscoding.JPG.172b64b14fda055ff071ac11ea93718b.thumb.jpg.be2e61c0bb099291b2389ea4276afea5.jpg

HDHomerun.thumb.JPG.70ee3cd34fc82fbbefa681c5468e8f9c.JPG

Edited by Happy2Play
removed external address
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

You should edit your dashboard image removing your external address. I many have to do it for you as there is a edit post time limit now.

10 minutes ago, martincom said:

1. It appears neither the Roku or Emby timers have any impact on live TV.  Can we change this?

The Roku is a problem device as lots of users hit the Home button instead of the back arrow to Stop the stream when they are done, so the server keeps feeding the Roku even though you have left the app.  My understanding is this rogue behavior is suppose to be improved in 4.7.  

10 minutes ago, martincom said:

2. Is it necessary to perform transcoding?  I have Emby installed on Server 2012 Essentials.  Essentials limits at two processors.

Depends on why it is transcoding.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

CharlieMurphy

I just ordered that HDHR Flex 4k and my area only has ATSC 1.0 for now. I am very interested in what it outputs and why it's transcoding.

21 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

The Roku is a problem device as lots of users hit the Home button instead of the back arrow to Stop the stream when they are done, so the server keeps feeding the Roku even though you have left the app.

This seems to be the consensus on the forum. I think this is happening to me no matter how much discipline is used with the Roku. I've done tests with this by playing feeds on Roku and hiding the remote. I come in every few hours and hit the back button and start a different feed. Never home button. After a few days of being perfect, it still is an issue. A good workaround may be a nightly restart, but I've just avoided Roku instead.

martincom

The Roku is a problem device as lots of users hit the Home button instead of the back arrow to Stop the stream when they are done, so the server keeps feeding the Roku even though you have left the app.  My understanding is this rogue behavior is suppose to be improved in 4.7.

I'd better hurry up and call the bride over before I back over her with the bus.  I also had assumed the home button closed the stream.

What factors determine if it transcodes?  I can have the same Roku/television combination Emby streaming live TV from the HDHomerun tuner.  Sometimes it transcodes and other instances it will direct stream.

Edited by martincom

CharlieMurphy
6 minutes ago, martincom said:

Sometimes it transcodes and other instances it will direct stream.

Do you mean the 'HDHomeRun channel for Roku' or Emby?

Possible the HDHR is transcoding for the HDHR channel?

Edited by CharlieMurphy

martincom

I clarified the post, adding "Emby streaming".

The Silicon Dust (HDHomerun) app for Roku leaves a lot to be desired with it's program guide.  So we don't even have it installed.  The plan is to utilize the Emby app exclusively.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

There is that with the home button. There are people with embed Ruku who just turn off the TV like they used to do with traditional TV.

There can be users with people turning off the TV while the device is still streaming (any device).

My dad used to fit all 3 of those. :)

I switched him out to a MiBox-S which solved that problem but he would still fall asleep watching the news.

I then solved that problem by going in the Emby client on the MiBox-S and enabling the "are you still watching" feature so after a bit when he's a sleep and doesn't click the remote it ends the playback from the client side.

A bonus the Android TV has over Roku is that it doesn't need to transcode to play channels so it's easier on the server as well.

Hopefully 4.7 will eliminate the issue in general with rogue streams.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Yes since @martincom mentioned just turning the TV off would suggest they does not have "are you still watching" enabled on the client.

• Like 1

rbjtech

It's a rather abrupt solution to closing the streams - but for HDHR users you can use the HDHR tools to either release the streams individually or do a full box reset - if you do this on a fixed schedule when you are very unlikely to be watching TV, then it may be a temporary workaround until the proper fix is found .. ? 

"c:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 'your hdhr ID goes here, no quotes' set /sys/restart self

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Situations like this are likely going to always need the server to clean up afterward based on a "heat beat" or X time with no playback status sent from the client.

Happy2Play
4 minutes ago, cayars said:

Situations like this are likely going to always need the server to clean up afterward based on a "heat beat" or X time with no playback status sent from the client.

@ebr will have to comment more but once the Roku client connects to the server a connection is maintained to device as it stays in Cast options.  So minus a restart I don't really see how this heart beat gets broken.

• Like 1

That's my understanding as well Happy2Play. The server should know if the Roku client is active or not and be able to act on it.

CharlieMurphy
5 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@ebr will have to comment more but once the Roku client connects to the server a connection is maintained to device as it stays in Cast options.  So minus a restart I don't really see how this heart beat gets broken.

This is interesting to know, but why is the server dashboard accurate while the tuners are occupied? That's what's tripping me up.

Looking forward to testing the beta.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

Because there is an inconsistency of some sort which causes this bug. These are likely completely different parts of code.

However your point being, if it can be detected correctly in one place but not another is valid.

Hopefully it's fixed in the latest beta.  I never experience issues with this personally anymore but have moved everyone off of Roku on my system that uses Live TV.
I've got a Roku not hooked up at the moment that I need an HDMI for so hopefully by this weekend I'll be doing some testing on the beta as well.

• Like 1

martincom
6 hours ago, cayars said:

I never experience issues with this personally anymore but have moved everyone off of Roku on my system that uses Live TV.

May I inquire what medium you are utilizing to view live TV?  Does it have an electronic program guide (EPG)?

I built my home in the late '90s, so it has an extensive coax TV distribution system that is still operational. Likewise, the HDHomeRun tuner appears on the network as a DLNA server.  However, neither of these has an EPG.

I'm using combinations of HDHomeRun Primes, HDHomeRun Quatro, VBox Android TV Gateway as well as m3u files.

I use a combination of XML and Emby Guide Data.  95% of my guide is from Emby Guide Data which covers all the hardware tuners and some of the channels from the m3u as well.

• Like 1

CharlieMurphy

Server version 4.7.0.11 beta - simultaneous streams set to 1

1 Roku on beta channel - this is the only client on this server.

I am able to recreate "M3U simultaneous stream limit has been reached" in just a few minutes. I will wait and see if it clears itself in the next hour or so.

Edited by CharlieMurphy