Live refreshing of Emby libraries with indicators

Weevillo

Weevillo

Hi, so what I'm suggesting isn't just the whole WebUI page refreshing when any changes is detected, I'm leaning more toward the Plex approach. Meaning, when scanning your library folders (per show/movie/etc.) you'll get the percentage indicator or a spinning icon signaling that the server is in the middle of the process. The lack of indicators when making changes is resulting in an unawareness of if the action you just performed is in effect or has completed. It's a small but appreciated quality of life addition.

Weevillo
13 hours ago, cayars said:

Like this?

image.thumb.png.a17830ae0bec3c47a7da93e8c59804ff.png

Yes something in the lines of this example would be nice, but that these indicators are also apparent with shows and shown on their respective posters.

Also, the top bar indicator isn't really necessary but if added should be redesigned to fit the library aestethic better (I know, this is a really abstract suggestion).

These are already in Emby and I was just pointing out they already exist.

There is no indication at the show or episode/movie level.

Weevillo
4 hours ago, cayars said:

There is no indication at the show or episode/movie level.

And that's what was I was requesting: It's not often that you refresh your entire library, I'd like to make the case that refreshing on a per-show-basis is much more common but there isn't a progress representation visually there. It only says in a message pop-up "Refreshing metadata..." which isn't indicating much.

Additionally (don't know if this is anecdotal) the already implemented "progress circle" is certainly peculiar with just suddenly popping up at 90% and then going "91... 92... 93..." with minutes in between.

2 hours ago, Weevillo said:

the already implemented "progress circle" is certainly peculiar with just suddenly popping up at 90% and then going "91... 92... 93..." with minutes in between.

Hi.  The problem is, these processes are not linear.  Some take exponentially longer than others so coming up with an accurate "% finished" number is quite tricky.

2 hours ago, Weevillo said:

I'd like to make the case that refreshing on a per-show-basis is much more common but there isn't a progress representation visually there. It only says in a message pop-up "Refreshing metadata..." which isn't indicating much.

In my experience, a single show will refresh in just a few seconds.  Do you have a scenario where it is taking much longer than that?

Also, to a typical end user, this information would be distracting at best and downright confusing at worst because it has no impact on the use of the media.  So, I wouldn't think this would be something we'd want in the main UI all the time.  

Weevillo
1 minute ago, ebr said:

In my experience, a single show will refresh in just a few seconds.  Do you have a scenario where it is taking much longer than that?

Well with this knowledge I can agree on that introducing a graphic indicator would be kind of pointless, I came form Plex and it's been more or less of a habit to know the current state of, more or less, everything going on on your server.

But, an indicator was only half of my request. The second part was the aforementioned "live refresh" of the page. Again using Plex as an example; Seeing the tile appear in your library and poster updating instantly just adds to the experience and it qualms any impatience or unawareness of if your changes has been applied. It could be toggled on optionally if the task turns out to be resource heavy.

Keep in mind also that you can turn on RTM for libraries so as you add media it's quickly added. It could literally be added quicker than you could display anything about this.

Also unless you changed the schedule a full Library scan is done daily.  You can change the schedule of this in the Scheduled Tasks menu.  I for example have this run at 3am local time.

Weevillo
5 hours ago, cayars said:

Keep in mind also that you can turn on RTM for libraries so as you add media it's quickly added. It could literally be added quicker than you could display anything about this.

Also unless you changed the schedule a full Library scan is done daily.  You can change the schedule of this in the Scheduled Tasks menu.  I for example have this run at 3am local time.

456019104_Screenshot2021-09-16212358.png.4ebfa04913c91d62cc230f7ce9a39e6f.png

This option? It was already on, but while reflecting on my request I realize that I'm asking for mostly a visual representation feature that'd be literally last priority😅

Also, not shown in the screen shot but what does the country option in library settings affect? Is it age ratings? And is download language for metadata such as descriptions of episodes and shows?