Emby app crashing, stops playing music for no reason SOLVED!!!!

Tenyrsgone27

Tenyrsgone27

I wanted to share my latest good news experience hoping that it helps others. I like many others have been extremely frustrated with the music playback on the Emby app for my Android phone. It would crash after the 1st or 2nd song, it would stop playback for no reason. I honestly gave up trying to fix it and moved on to other platforms to play my music until this past weekend. I was looking at Jellyfin or some other media server software and when I installed the app on my phone it said I needed to turn on the optimization for the battery, this is something I wasn't familiar with on my phone and it's in a hidden section under "special access".  

So I noticed that the Emby app was listed as to have the battery optimized, I turned that OFF for Emby thinking maybe this might do something and BOOM that did it! I tested the Emby app over the weekend for a several hours and not a single crash, hang up or pause. Same thing this morning, been playing music with no issues, crashes or pauses. 

Search for Optimize Battery Usage in your settings section, select "apps not optimized" and select ALL and then see if Emby is listed to Optimize Battery Usage and turn it OFF. I really hope this helps others! I'm super happy right now that I can use Emby to play my music.

Tenyrsgone27

Tenyrsgone27

Device: Samsung Galaxy 8+ / software is version 9. 

Still working 100% no issues this morning. :) 

Edited by Tenyrsgone27

17 minutes ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

Interesting and good to know. So this is a Samsung issue with the new Andriod versions? 

I guess it depends on how you look at it. They might say it's a feature and that you can use their music app instead.

Tenyrsgone27

But they show you how to turn it off for specific apps, so I would think you should be able to still fix the issue with turning off the optimization for the battery for Emby? I do agree with their site and it's hard to keep up with all the changes that affect apps like Emby. 

We can't turn off the battery optimizations. Only thing we could do is force the screen to be kept in like we do for video playback.

Tenyrsgone27

That could be a solution or can't the person just turn it off on their phone instead? Maybe i'm not following, but it looks like we can go into our phones and turn it off regardless of the software version. 

12 minutes ago, Tenyrsgone27 said:

That could be a solution or can't the person just turn it off on their phone instead? Maybe i'm not following, but it looks like we can go into our phones and turn it off regardless of the software version. 

Of course they can yes, but that's not necessarily easy for users to figure out. I suppose we could just detect the vendor and display a one-time message for all Samsung users.

Tenyrsgone27

Correct, it's not that easy to find and not in the regular battery settings. That could work with the message, something would be helpful so other users know what to do to fix the issue on Samsung/Andriod phones.