Emby is transcoding Dolby TrueHD Atmos to DD+

fasmit

Hi,

This app seems to have the same problem as here for the Android app:

"TrueHD Atmos file -> Emby server -> lan -> LG C9 -> Emby TV app -> eArc HDMI -> Marantz SR5015 -> displays DD+ and not "Atmos" on info

Yet it CAN work because (all the same with Plex):

Same TrueHD file -> Plex server -> lan -> LG C9 -> Plex TV app -> eARC -> AVR -> DOES display "Atmos" on info

So it appears that Emby transcodes the TrueHD audio to DD+ while Plex does not and then everything passes it through unmodified correctly? Or maybe Plex does some transcoding to EAC3 or so? As EAC3 sources work fine on both.

Then when disabling audio transcoding on the user level for Emby I get no sound at all.

What I might try next is connect the LG's optical out to the AVR and not use eARc?"

rbjtech

Does the Media file have other Audio tracks other than TrueHD ?

Remember there are two 'levels' of Atmos - Tru-HD Atmos and eARC (DD+) Atmos.  Both will show as 'Atmos' on your AVR but they are not the same - one is lossless, one is not.

As far as I am aware, no app has managed to pass Thu-HD out the LG C9 - Infact from memory, I don't think this is even technically possible as the 'hardware' is missing.  It can though pass EAC3/DD+ (with Atmos).

So, going back to my original question - if your source has an EAC3/Atmos track - they will play as Atmos on your AVR, Tru-HD will not - and I suspect Plex is aware of this, and is simply playing the EAC3 track instead.  Looking at your AVR 'input' by using the AVR remote Info button will show you the full details (if it's anything like my Denon, which I believe Marantz are..)

The only way to get Tru-HD/Atmos passed to your AVR is to go direct with the likes of an Nvidia Shield.  ie Emby Server > Lan > Shield > AVR > LG C9 - no need for eARC or ARC - you are directly passing video/audio into the AVR, Video (only) is then passed onto the TV.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Does the Media file have other Audio tracks other than TrueHD ?

Remember there are two 'levels' of Atmos - Tru-HD Atmos and eARC (DD+) Atmos.  Both will show as 'Atmos' on your AVR but they are not the same - one is lossless, one is not.

As far as I am aware, no app has managed to pass Thu-HD out the LG C9 - Infact from memory, I don't think this is even technically possible as the 'hardware' is missing.  It can though pass EAC3/DD+ (with Atmos).

So, going back to my original question - if your source has an EAC3/Atmos track - they will play as Atmos on your AVR, Tru-HD will not - and I suspect Plex is aware of this, and is simply playing the EAC3 track instead.  Looking at your AVR 'input' by using the AVR remote Info button will show you the full details (if it's anything like my Denon, which I believe Marantz are..)

The only way to get Tru-HD/Atmos passed to your AVR is to go direct with the likes of an Nvidia Shield.  ie Emby Server > Lan > Shield > AVR > LG C9 - no need for eARC or ARC - you are directly passing video/audio into the AVR, Video (only) is then passed onto the TV.

Thanks! It has a DTS-HD MA track too; however, choosing this explicitly in Emby (or Plex) makes the receiver just display "DTS". Not sure what Plex is doing then ...

But found this post and that's indeed exactly the problem. Problem with having the AVR display the info by the way is that the TV is taking over the video, so it doesn't show the HDMI input from the AVR; hence, can only look at the little display on the receiver itself.

So no joy on LG it seems :(

Quite annoying, so I'll probably have to buy a 200 eur nvidia shield pro (or just a full PC, not sure yet, bit worried the shield again will have problems with apps and limitations and so on: not much beats good old VLC on a PC...) and the LG remote is so damn nice... But yeah, not going to send poorer quality audio to a 5k eur speaker setup either.

Edited by fasmit

rbjtech
1 hour ago, fasmit said:

Problem with having the AVR display the info by the way is that the TV is taking over the video, so it doesn't show the HDMI input from the AVR; hence, can only look at the little display on the receiver itself.

You are correct, my mistake, it's been a while since I used the LG App as I myself moved on from the limitations of my LG TV ARC connection (to get True-HD and DTS-HD) and over to a Shield Pro.

You can only get the 'full' onscreen source/speakers detail when you connect the TV to the 'Monitor Out' on the AVR - ie you are passing both Audio AND Video through the AVR.  This will be available to you if/when you get the Shield - or any other input device for that matter.  It's pretty cool as you can see the source, channels, speakers those channels are using etc etc.

ps - the Shield plays EVERYTHING I have thrown at it - Incl Profile 7 (UHD Spec) Dolby Vision - It is without doubt, THE Emby Client to get if you want to play UHD Remux's in all their glory and has the bonus of being about to Direct Mount the storage, so it direct plays it at a FILE level - like Kodi and VLC do...  ;)

All the best.

Edited by rbjtech

2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

You are correct, my mistake, it's been a while since I used the LG App as I myself moved on from the limitations of my LG TV ARC connection (to get True-HD and DTS-HD) and over to a Shield Pro.

You can only get the 'full' onscreen source/speakers detail when you connect the TV to the 'Monitor Out' on the AVR - ie you are passing both Audio AND Video through the AVR.  This will be available to you if/when you get the Shield - or any other input device for that matter.  It's pretty cool as you can see the source, channels, speakers those channels are using etc etc.

ps - the Shield plays EVERYTHING I have thrown at it - Incl Profile 7 (UHD Spec) Dolby Vision - It is without doubt, THE Emby Client to get if you want to play UHD Remux's in all their glory and has the bonus of being about to Direct Mount the storage, so it direct plays it at a FILE level - like Kodi and VLC do...  ;)

All the best.

Thanks! :) I ordered the shield pro this morning; will be delivered tomorrow. sounds very promising!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
Slopelitter

I had a shield gave it up just because lot easier for everyone to use the TV app didn't realize I would be giving up TrueHD some of the videos I play only have that one soundtrack. 

Does anyone know of a TV that emby app that can play TrueHD audio tracks?  I'm looking to buy a new TV at some point not sure I will go with another OLED. 

On 8/7/2022 at 3:06 PM, Slopelitter said:

I had a shield gave it up just because lot easier for everyone to use the TV app didn't realize I would be giving up TrueHD some of the videos I play only have that one soundtrack. 

Does anyone know of a TV that emby app that can play TrueHD audio tracks?  I'm looking to buy a new TV at some point not sure I will go with another OLED. 

What about going back to the Shield?

• 3 weeks later...
playloud

Getting close to buying new OLED, either Sony or LG. Planning to use an external device, is Shield Pro the most recommended?  Is the interface closer to Emby Theater or more restricted like Roku?

I assume you can set TV input default to always have Shield ready when you turn on TV?

Audiomixer
43 minutes ago, playloud said:

Getting close to buying new OLED, either Sony or LG. Planning to use an external device, is Shield Pro the most recommended?  Is the interface closer to Emby Theater or more restricted like Roku?

I assume you can set TV input default to always have Shield ready when you turn on TV?

Are you intending to connect the shield directly to the tv and use earc to a receiver, or are you going shield to receiver to tv?

If passthrough of HD audio is important, know that if shield is connected to an Lg TV then connected to an HD capable receiver via earc, the Lg will not passthrough any DTS audio in any flavor. I believe sony will passthrough all HD audios.

If the shield is going through an HD audio capable receiver then to a TV, Lg or Sony will work fine. I personally run my shield through a receiver then to my Lg oled. Works great. The nice thing about the shield is two different emby apps to play with and the shield will practically handle any audio and video format i have thrown at it.

Stay away from the tube version of shield. Its low on memory and only 32bit and can yield iffy full remux playback on occassion.

The CEC functions of the shield is quite configurable and so when you fire up the tv, it should default to shield if that is how you set it up.

Edited by Audiomixer

playloud

I really appreciate this info.  I plan to use an AV Receiver, trying to keep the TV as "dumb" as possible.  

I still may stick with my existing HTPC if I can get all the settings right.

Still one of my best purchases above, the shield _pro_! The first thing that "just worked" for pretty much every exotic and high-end format. And indeed, the shield drives things, goes into the AVR then into the LG tv. Only drawback is giving up the lg remote, but the shield remote is not bad.

It also gives some other nice features like chrome cast by default. Nothing to be done, just click cast to shield on your phone and it works. Nvidia truly understood consumers here. Doesn't happen often so worth some credit!

Only drawback... not using any features of my avr, as the shield is better, like AI upscaling :) Then again its still a great amp, and thats its purpose.

I removed my HTPC from the tv room. Just have my gaming pc downstairs run emby server now with lots of storage. I want to browse the web I cast my phone to screen.

One thing to beware: casting does not always pass through, but yeah, should be rare. Salient case: amazon music in atmos hd, no cigar, casts as regular stereo. More licensing crap. Downloading and playing through emby/shield is fine though.

Edited by fasmit