Live TV dropping frames

robkingutah1

overClocked!

I watched some 9ers yesterday (painful game) and playback is MUCH better. But....

Most live sports are 58, 59, 60fps and the roku only handles 30fps. The picture quality is awesome but there is a noticeable quality drop during fast action. I have read that there are encoding methods that can smooth out a conversion from 60fps.

Does anyone think it would be possible to improve the smoothness by changing how the stream is encoded?

What sort of display are you watching on? Is it an LCD screen on a laptop? I don't know that I noticed this on my iPad 2 or iphone 4S.

farside847

What sort of display are you watching on? Is it an LCD screen on a laptop? I don't know that I noticed this on my iPad 2 or iphone 4S.

I play through the roku to a 65" plasma TV

• 2 weeks later...

Here's to hoping for the update/fix soon. Seems to affect one live TV channel but not another @1080 resolution, which is odd.

Indeed amazing that it works as well as it does. Quad core AMD seems fine, though a little bit high usage for some other material.

somedude

After a little more time with this, it seems like

1) 720p content that is transcoded is ...perfect... smooth as silk.

2) interlaced content, whether 480 or 1080 is ...not as perfect.

With any motion, yes, I see jitter. It's headache inducing. I can't watch it for long. Even something relatively "static" like the Letterman show was a headache. Football (from a 1080i source) was poitively mind scrambling on the TV.

On Android (via web client, which, btw, is pretty good stuff!) it's bearable for a little while, perhaps because of the smaller screen, and different screen type.

Curious if there is indeed a better way to transcode interlaced material. Much appreciate all the work already done with all this though, it was quite amazing to find this! Had seen Media Browser before, and didn't consider it for my own use until I got a Roku, and then wondered if there was anything out there to beam a TV tuner to it.

I think, eventually, if this can be "better," that it's a truly killer feature! Little work on the guide GUI, little tweaking of the encoding, and it's pure gold :)

Edited by somedude