Can't record anymore with my Colossus 2

sward

Hello - all of a sudden I can no longer record with my Colossus 2. This is a new problem which seems to have cropped up after I changed to running Emby-server as a service but under the regular user account. Could be coincidence, but I'm guessing it's not. Here's a log of a failed recording:

2021-09-07 21:55:59.062 Info LiveTV: Recording timer fired for Impeachment: American Crime Story.
2021-09-07 21:55:59.066 Info LiveTV: Getting media sources for recording from channel 6631044 6631044
2021-09-07 21:55:59.663 Info LiveTV: Opening live stream for recording from channel 6631044 6631044
2021-09-07 21:55:59.663 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from Emby, external channel Id: hauppauge_323
2021-09-07 21:55:59.663 Info LiveTV: Streaming Channel hauppauge_323
2021-09-07 21:55:59.663 Info App: GetChannelStream: channel id: hauppauge_323. stream id: native_479d47cdf2bfbd135b570ab7540d6eef_5ce12f5518c79d03a2d89dd4095195aa
2021-09-07 21:55:59.663 Info App: Hauppauge GetChannelStream args "GetChannelStream" "1" "323" "native_479d47cdf2bfbd135b570ab7540d6eef_5ce12f5518c79d03a2d89dd4095195aa"
2021-09-07 21:55:59.869 Error App: Error opening tuner
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.6.4.0
    Command line: C:\Program Files\Emby-server\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19043
    Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Program Files/Emby-server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 20
    Data path: C:\Program Files\Emby-server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Program Files\Emby-server\system
    MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: error opening live stream:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.Hauppauge.HauppaugeTunerWindows.GetChannelStream(TunerHostInfo info, ChannelInfo channelInfo, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannelStream(String channelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
    Source: Emby.LiveTV
    TargetSite: System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.ILiveStream] GetChannelStream(MediaBrowser.Model.LiveTv.TunerHostInfo, MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.ChannelInfo, System.String, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[MediaBrowser.Controller.Library.ILiveStream], System.Threading.CancellationToken)

Looking into this a bit more, seems Emby can no longer detect my Colossus 2, but I can still record using the Hauppauge Capture app, or even WinTV.

If you switch back to running Emby as a normal account (non service) does it work again?

What username is setup to run the service?

So I tested running Emby as a normal user (non service), and that does enable me to see my Hauppauge Colossus 2 again, however this introduces a different problem since the recording timers are impacted by the fact that my machine sleeps 14 hours/day. My workaround is to run Emby as a service, whereby I can restart the service via the SmartPower app whenever my machine wakes, thereby updating the recording timers. I wish there was a way to update the recording timers at regular intervals (like every 15 minutes, or even every 5 minutes).

BTW, if there's a way to restart Emby (non service) via command line, I could configure SmartPower to run that command upon resume/wake.

Another thought - why can't Emby see the Colossus 2 when I run it as a service using a normal user account? Is there some kind of permission issue that needs addressing? Seems to be the case, since Emby sees the Colossus 2 if I run Emby as a service using the local system account. If we could figure that out, I could add that privilege to the normal user account (I already had to add the "Log on as Service" permission).

You should be able to do that.  It's just a matter of using the command line to run the Emby Server executable. You would want to stop the current running version first.

However a better approach might be exploring the API or asking for help on this in the Developer API section of the forum as you might be able to use the API to get Emby to refresh the recording timers on wake.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/47-developer-api/

You may also want to check out this plugin which might be able to help you with this as well.

• 2 weeks later...
BillOatman

Could you use a privileged (system) user when running as a service?

Edited by BillOatman

I believe I tried that a while ago, basically logging in as a normal user but running the service under the admin account. If I remember correctly, it worked initially but I then encountered some issue(s) down the road. That's why I run the service under the local system account.