Switch emby server from windows to mac

MgifPrime1

MgifPrime1

I am moving my emby server from a windows pc to a Mac and would like to know if there is a way (details please) to move my emby settings from my existing windows pc to a mac so that i can keep all my actor images, metadata, played indicators, etc, etc. Thanks in advance.

ccastilla

Hi, I moved from a windows server to a mac, and what made it easy on me, was that I keep a lot of the information on the folder that has the media, so on the first (and long) scan, it actually uses the images, metadata and played indicators from the folders (inside NFO file). I'm not sure how to do it if the data is stored centrally. This will not copy over the actor images and they will be added again during the first scan. I understand this is not ideal, as it will not add any customization. One thing to consider is if you have the hard drive connected directly to the server, the hard drive is probably formatted as NTFS. The mac can read NTFS files, but it can't write to the disk unless you buy a program that allows you to do it. In my case, I decided to format a new drive as APFS and copied all of the files to the new drive.

Keep in mind that you will have to map the libraries again, since the mac uses a different naming convention that windows (no C:\), so I don't see a way around that.

Edited by ccastilla

MgifPrime1

thank you for that information, it is helpful. I just realized i hadn't considered the NTFS issue. It just means i will have to accelerate the rest of my plan and get a couple new drives and create and raid storage box.

Happy2Play

Minus manually changing library file paths and database column entries, there is no clear path for cross platform migrations.