Nvidia Shield/Mac network

nickysilver

rbjtech

I'm not sure how you got the original Emby Server onto the Shield (maybe via USB?) but it's better if you setup the network sharing on the Shield itself - then you can directly connect to it via your MAC.

Have a look below -

https://androidtvnews.com/connect-nvidia-shield-to-pc/

Once that is done - then you can directly see what Emby is doing to your HDD.

Edited by rbjtech

nickysilver

I didn't wait for the folder to load. I ejected it. 

I installed the server via downloader.

So, do I have worry about running out of space, you think?  The metadata IS being stored on the movie drive! (it is, right?)

rbjtech

It's not ideal that you are keeping all the files in the same folder - but I don't believe this will cause problems.

So - in summary - as long as you have enabled the Metadata Savers NFO to yes - it should be saving any edited metadata.

I would edit a film for a test - give it a minute - and then check the NFO for that film.

It should have the details I mentioned a few posts above.

If it does - then you are set and you probably don't need to refresh the metadata, I agree. :)

rbjtech
1 minute ago, nickysilver said:

I didn't wait for the folder to load. I ejected it. 

I installed the server via downloader.

So, do I have worry about running out of space, you think?  The metadata IS being stored on the movie drive! (it is, right?)

The metadata is tiny in comparison to the media - on the multi TB drive it is not going to cause you any issues at all.

It will also then be included in any backups you do (of the HDD)... ;)

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

No - only the NFO is being stored on the HDD - this is maybe from Plex.  Emby wouldn't have written it unless you specify in the library config as Metadata Savers.

You still need to configure the Emby library to do this. 

rbjtech
1 minute ago, nickysilver said:

I don't know how to tell what's in/on the info file. I'm on a mac and there's no app to open it.

It's just a plain text file - some sort of notepad or textedit application ?

rbjtech
4 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

<lockdata>false</lockdata>

<sorttitle>Motorcycle Diaries</sorttitle>

So this has a sorttitle - but it's not locked by Emby - thus it was not written by Emby.

If on this film you edit it - and then resend the nfo - I can re-check if you like.

edit..

you must have the NFO Savers enabled - and also give it a minute or two to update.. ;)

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

I changed the sort name and the synopsis. (Adding my comment. I loved this movie)

I haft say all the NFO files make the drive look so messy!

The.Motorcycle.Diaries.2004.nfo 6.19 kB · 0 downloads

Another reason to use sub folders - one per media file.  For TV shows, then it's one folder per season under the show folder.     It's much better this way - but lets stick with what you have for the moment !

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, nickysilver said:

I changed the sort name and the synopsis. (Adding my comment. I loved this movie)

I haft say all the NFO files make the drive look so messy!

The.Motorcycle.Diaries.2004.nfo 6.19 kB · 0 downloads

and yes - this one has the correct info in it - meaning emby would re-import this automatically.

<lockedfields>SortName</lockedfields>

<sorttitle>5a. Motorcycle Diaries</sorttitle>

edit - Plot has changed as well I think ?

Edited by rbjtech

nickysilver

SO I am good to just get to editing!!! (I'll live with the mess.)

PS. Any idea how to get my dynamic folder cover back for collections? If I don't get it back I found a set of images I can live with.

The idea od these info files is if I moved he server or, crash like I did last night-- I just scan the library and my meta data is all there??

I don't know your first name (or your last for that matter). But RBJ, you have been so so so so helpful! 

rbjtech

The dynamic folder will generate after a set amount of time - if you want to force it - then edit 'images' on that folder - and delete the image for it.  It will then generate a new one dynamically based on random content.

re the NFO files - yes, exactly.   Any custom IMAGE files would need to be on the HDD as well for a full recovery - but the NFO file will at least contain any metadata edits you have made - basically anything that is not an image.  Emby uses the NFO as it's 'priority' source of information.

No worries on the help - it's unfortunate you lost a lot of manual editing - but at least you have a way forward.

Backup those NFO files when you are done editing !

nickysilver
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Backup those NFO files when you are done editing !

Well.... how do I do that?!

nickysilver

Four days of work and I am up and running. NFO files in place. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME SURVIVE THIS DISASTER!!

• Like 1