connection dropping mac mini -> fire tv

alxzndr

Hi all,

A friend I help out is having his connection to the server drop, usually midway through a movie.   From then it's at least 5-10 minutes (if at all) before the connection re-establishes itself.  During that time there's no connection that can be made between the client (an Amazon Fire TV stick connected to a brand new Sony TV) and the server.  

A Mac Mini hosts the server, configured via the router's DHCP to a switch, then that to a Orbi wireless mesh network to which the Fire TV is connected.  It was working fine for at least 6 months beforehand.  The only setup change is enabling ARC from the TV's HDMI to the audio receiver.  All builds (OS X/Emby/Fire TV) are the most recent and no network connections are lost during this time, both locally and to the internet.

I checked the server log, and it notes that the Fire TV profile "logs out" of the server, but doesn't register it as an error.  There are some seemingly unrelated "FFprobe" errors.  

For bonus points:  the server no longer automatically collates collections.

I hope this makes some sense.  Any help, suggestions or further questions to clarify, much appreciated.

Cheers.

And the netgear HG6245D ethernet router (connected to internet line) and orbi Mesh routers are *both* configured as DNS servers.  Don't ask me but it's the only way all devices would connect.  Ethernet's on 192.168.1.1 onwards, Orbi from 10.0.0.1, both on the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0 

Hi, this is a bit confusing.  Is your friend accessing your server or did your friend setup up an Emby Server as well?

I've rewired the whole setup, and the most likely scenario is that some dodgy grounding was causing one of the power conditioners to cut power for the mac mini server.  Thanks for time spent here - I'll post again if the problem recurs.