EMBY Playback Ends and Closes When Casting To TV through Chromecast

seasonalskier

seasonalskier

Hello,

For a while now whenever I go to watch something through emby after about 20-25 minutes the session either crashes or is forcefully closed somehow and I am not seeing the reasoning in the logs.  I attached a log file to show the behavior I am seeing. Essentially no matter what file I am watching (in this case a TV episode) it will crash or close out after that rough time period.  Once I re-open the video or movie and start playback again I won't have any issues at all with the movie or tv show, no matter how long I watch after.  I am not sure if this is a plug in issue, but I have removed a ton of plugins to see if that was the cause but so far the issue still persists.  I usually am casting through my android phone through the app (Pixel 4A with Android 12 Beta).  I have emby running in a docker container (5:20.10.8~3-0~debian-buster) on OpenMediaVault (5.6.14-1) (Kernel: Linux 5.10.0-0.bpo.8-amd64).  I have not been able to pinpoint exactly what causes the issue to re-occur as sometimes its overnight, sometimes its a week later. I attached the log from emby, but cannot find any log that might be stored on my phone as well to upload that. Also, I should mention that I saw others having bitrate issues and that was the root cause.  I am not 100% sure how to do this in the android emby app, but I have gigabit wired ethernet running to both the chromecast as well as the server running emby, so while it may still be an issue of speed, I would highly doubt that.

Log line issue occurred on:

[2021-09-06 16:17:26.698 Info SessionManager: Playback stopped reported by app Emby for Chromecast 2.1.0 playing Forgetting Sarick Mortshall. Stopped at 1336684 ms]

I know there are some errors in there for the coverart plugin but I know those are centered around HVEC codec and is a known issue that hasn't affected anyones playback that I can find.  I also have lifetime emby premier but am seeing a warning in regards to a license, not sure what that's about either. 

2021-09-06 15:52:27.982 Error Server: Access token is invalid or expired.

Thank you for your time and any help you might have for me!

embyserver.txt

Edited by seasonalskier
More details

seasonalskier

Thank you for the tip Luke.  I actually am starting to think that its not EMBY, I have been trying to stream CFB this weekend and I am having some issues getting a consistent stream with that right now.  If I fix the stream issues I am having right now and EMBY is still not working I will be sure to update this thread.  But since as of right now I can no longer pin it to just EMBY not working, I am going to assume it is something on my switch or router that is the problem. :(  Thank you for your help and reply though!!

seasonalskier

Hey Luke,  I did try from the web app the other night.  For whatever reason it wasn't casting at all from my pc to my chromecast.  So in a last ditch effort I changed all of my quality's from 'auto' to '4k-120Mbps' and it has been working since.  I am not sure why yet.

seasonalskier

When I attempted to it simply wouldn't connect to my Chromecast.  The PC would attempt, and emby would show connected, but it never connected on the chromecast side.

seasonalskier

Sure, I just tried again, and now my chromecast is not even showing up on my casting options. I have shown a screen capture from my pc in the attachments, a screenshot of my phone at the exact same time as the computer screen grab was taken, and the logs.  Its a very confusing issue now since the PC and Chromecast are hardwired to the same network switch.  I plan to test more later.  In the logs 192.168.1.155 is the PC, 192.168.1.185 is the phone.  The only change that happened between now and yesterday was a reboot on the server due to having to power cycle the network switch for an update and the server and switch share a UPS.

image.png

Screenshot_20210921-163200.png

embyserver (1).txt

Chromecast will only show up when the browser is used in a secure context - that means the web app either needs to be on localhost or an https address.

• 3 weeks later...
seasonalskier

So after more investigation, it seems it is only doing this on my Pixel, my wifes Apple isnt having this problem. So I am starting to wonder if it might be an issue with the EMBY app on Android 12 Beta.

57 minutes ago, seasonalskier said:

So after more investigation, it seems it is only doing this on my Pixel, my wifes Apple isnt having this problem. So I am starting to wonder if it might be an issue with the EMBY app on Android 12 Beta.

What version of our android app are you up to now?