desktop shut down and won't turn back on

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Yesterday evening while I was using the pc, it just shut down and will not restart.

When I press the front power button, nothing happens (all cpu chassis and psu fan remains still.

The CoolerMaster case feature a glass side with RGB lighting, the internal lighting still active.

The psu is EVGA Supernova 750 G2 (gold modular).

MB is Asus TUF H370-pro gaming (wi-fi), intel i7 9th gen

The desktop was custom shop built about 3 years ago.

The air intake filter of the psu was completely covered with 1/8" of dust

From the symptoms already described, is this a psu failure ?

Unlikely since you indicated there are interal lights. Probably some type of power build up that needs to distaste before the psu will fully engage.

You could try powering the PC off for a few minutes using the power switch on the back of the psu.

I've also had success removing any adding such as gpu or other cards and then making sure it powers on. You can tell if it powers on by looking at the cpu fan.

There's also resetting the bios although I've found that to be a last resort.

I've had this problem many times over the years and don't ever recall replacing the psu.

CharleyVarrick
42 minutes ago, lorac said:

Unlikely since you indicated there are interal lights. Probably some type of power build up that needs to distaste before the psu will fully engage.

You could try powering the PC off for a few minutes using the power switch on the back of the psu.

I've also had success removing any adding such as gpu or other cards and then making sure it powers on. You can tell if it powers on by looking at the cpu fan.

There's also resetting the bios although I've found that to be a last resort.

I've had this problem many times over the years and don't ever recall replacing the psu.

It was left unplugged overnight to no avail. The only card is a M.2 SSD (no graphic card).

I do have 2 other desktop I could temporarily* hookup the suspect psu to.

* I would leave the psu outside the case

Try turning the PSU off via the switch at the back.

BIOS reset can hurt either.

If you do have different PSU that can be helpful to test with as well.

Does your motherboard have LED diagnostic lights, do you see the CPU fan move at all when you use the power button or have a power button on thr mobo?

The user manual for the PSU or MB might help as well.

CharleyVarrick
11 hours ago, lorac said:

Try turning the PSU off via the switch at the back.

BIOS reset can hurt either.

If you do have different PSU that can be helpful to test with as well.

Does your motherboard have LED diagnostic lights, do you see the CPU fan move at all when you use the power button or have a power button on thr mobo?

The user manual for the PSU or MB might help as well.

The Asus mb has 5 diag lights: PWR, BOOT, VGA, DRAM and CPU. The only light on (solid orange) is PWR. And the decorative RGB lights do work.

With the psu switched off and then back on, pressing the front power button produce a faint high pitch electrical "tic".

Edited by CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Yesterday morning, I brought the desktop over to the shop I bought it from 3 years ago.

Owner called me a few hrs later to confirm the motherboard had a power issue.

As it was still well within its 5 yr warranty, a RMA process is underway with asus.

• Like 2