Reinstall server from Volume 1 to a fresh SHR storage pool

kandiman

If you had DSM 6 and had installed Emby those two items would be present and get be removed.

They won't hurt anything being present but could be confusing so it's best to tidy up.

kandiman

If anyone is interested I decided to start everything from scratch.

Fresh installed DSM 7, SHR btrfs, 4x12TB Western Digital Reds "drives optimizing in the background" completed in 42 hours.

• Like 1

Good move all around. That to me is a nice setup.  Add a couple SSDs for caching if your NAS has the slots and you'll notice things running faster.  The SSD help a lot for images and transcoding.

@cayars, from post 1 he has a DS918+ just like mine. It has the pair of Nvme slots on the underside so he can definitely set up the cache(s). The 918+ is pretty close to identical to your 920+ in form/function except you have a newer Celeron, we've got J3455's and you've got an updated J4125.

Kandiman, another easy upgrade if you haven't done it yet is bump the shipped memory up from 4GB to 8GB. super easy, just pop an additional dimm in the open slot

kandiman

Thanks guys, I feel better now with a complete rebuild and sacrificing 1 hard drive for parity doesn't hurt too much.

@cayars The last time I had a 256gb nvme for caching on DSM 6 but couple of months later it made a beeping noise so I removed it. I'm interested in the caching again what size nvme do you recommend for my setup? 

@bjjones thanks I've upgraded to 8GB Of memory awhile ago

I picked up two of these 1 TB SSD for $129 each
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08V83JZH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

Here they are in the HDD/SDD menu in Storage Manager
image.png.f5d3243da37ffe6a719e916a948d31ae.png

This is how they're configured for use with the pools
image.png.f100ee6f00ddaf59894cdf4e1300eeff.png

So they are configured as Read-write cache using RAID 1 and here is the special config I've set from the 3 dot menu on the right.
image.png.000be00b5994d6275b79d5c8ead9f0ea.png

This in my testing on the 920+ with Emby worked by far the best for me.

4 hours ago, kandiman said:

@bjjones thanks I've upgraded to 8GB Of memory awhile ago

I know Synology says these boxes are only upgradable to 8 GB but you can add much larger.

This $32 4 GB RAM chip works just fine in my box if you only want to upgrade to 8 GB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MTFHKT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by cayars

You're reading that out of context. It depends on the type of chip you use.  Hover over the little question mark and read the comments.

Here the old 920+ with a 16 GB RAM module installed.  Having more memory can be quite useful for running VMs.

image.png.fb42ba03214968ea5a3fb9e7f2925b40.png

Take a look at the VM running at the top using a little more than 12GB
image.png.1683660317b1477b824b16ba1e0d8efa.png

image.png.f7f3e6dd6f827f04b33dfcb05486606a.png

19 hours ago, cayars said:

I know Synology says these boxes are only upgradable to 8 GB but you can add much larger.

This $32 4 GB RAM chip works just fine in my box if you only want to upgrade to 8 GB
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MTFHKT7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've read about going over 8GB but never knew anyone that had done it. Definitely good to know for an upgrade path. Also, which hardware transcoder do you like? I'm playing around between the QS one and the VAAPI but see almost no difference performance wise between them, but then again I'm only streaming out to a single client

FYI - nbd since @kandimanhad already done the memory upgrade but the linked memory wouldn't work in a DS918+, another change was that they went from DDR3 memory in ours to DDR4 in your 920+ and other 2020 models.

• Like 1

Yes, of course it's important to purchase the correct memory types for your own NAS! You can find plenty of videos on YouTube with different Synology models going past 8 GB.  I'll say in my own use with mainly only Emby Server running and an occasional VM (DSM in fact for testing) running that 8 GB total is about perfect.