Reinstall server from Volume 1 to a fresh SHR storage pool

kandiman

16 hours ago, bjjones said:

@kandiman, I did almost the same thing on my 918+ a week ago when I needed to get larger drives

Since I knew I would end up on DSM 7 at some point and it runs a different Emby server with different paths, etc.I did the following just in case you wanted to think about it.

Backed up my media folder to another drive not in my 1st storage pool. Took out the 3x3T drives I had DSM 6 on in an SHR pool, replaced them with a pair of 14TB fresh drives Raid 1. Installed DSM 7 from scratch on those, installed fresh Emby 4.6.4 stable for DSM 7. Moved my saved media folder back to the now new DSM 7 volume and pointed emby server at that and let it rebuild everything new. I didn't want to do the double upgrade paths on either DSM or Emby if I could start fresh and that's worked out well for me.

Curious, why did you you use RAID 1 vs SHR when rebuilding your NAS?

yes, I didn't do anything at all about the artwork etc, I just copied over the media folder itself and it actually found everything all over without a hitch. I did have the old drives as a backup in case I lost anything I could put them back in and go find it wherever it was buried, copy it external, then put the new set back in but didn't need to.

@cayars i had SHR1 on my old drive set of 3x3T and from what I found digging around SHR only adds value if mixing drive sizes to maximize whats available, if they're all the same there's nothing to be gained and SHR isn't as straightforward or transportable to other OS'es like straight RAID is if something happened. If or, more probable when, I need more space I'll get another matching 14TB like the other 2 and migrate straight to RAID5 and get the full 14TB jump from 14 to 28 and still have the 4th bay open for either another 14TB jump or change to RAID6 for 2 disk redundancy. I couldn't see any benefit to SHR1/2 on matching drives and don't plan to mix sizes being 4 bay limited.

Edited by bjjones

SHR is the most flexible because you can dynamically add drives to existing storage pools and the striping can be redone.  You can add/remove drives to a live system and it will rebuild in the background.  With SHR you can update a drive at a time as well which I've done numerous times as I started out with some small test drives that I replaced drive by drive with even a drive failure during replacement and it survived.  From 1.5TB drives to a mix of 3 & 4TB drives to 6 & 8TB drives to now 4 14TB drives. I now have an expansion box with another 5 drives in it as well.

With SHR you can change the pool size as well as add read or read/write caching with m2 SSD drives (on some models) which I've done as well and works well.

SHR is what Synology recommends do to it's overall flexibility.  You can also pull drives and read them from Linux as well (with SHR) as I've done this early on testing.

I'd rethink the choice while you only have minimal storage in play if you can still back it up externally.

kandiman

Now I'm thinking I might just everything fresh on DSM 7 and scrape all the artwork/metadata from scratch but I just want to keep my users favorites/watch statuses intact.

On DSM 6 if I use the server configuration backup plugin and I start a fresh install on DSM 7, would the restore work correctly from the backup on DSM 6?

I've done this testing and with a selective restore of just users and their play states and it did work fine.

Is there some reason you don't want to migrate?

kandiman

Thanks, just not sure what route I want to take. Currently on DSM 6 when I get my 2 x 12TB for empty bays 3 & 4 should I start SHR migrate and upgrade to DSM 7 or just blow it all up with fresh DSM 7 with 4 x 12TB. I have all my data on externals

If you have everything backed up the fastest/easiest way for sure would be shut down the NAS.  Put in the drives you want to use for the new OS (2 or more HDDs) and then turn on the unit.  If there is no Synology OS on the drives it should be a fresh install.

If you had another Synology OS on the drives but what to start clean then you can use the hardware reset button on the back of the NAS to reset the NAS fresh.

Personally I would format the drives using Btrfs and use SSH as the RAID type for best flexibility moving forward.  This will help future proof your NAS and allow you to easily upgrade to 30 TB HDDs in 2 or 3 years when you need more storage.

If you do want to do a migration after setting up the new storage and have a USB3 drive handy you could copy over your present /volume1/Emby to the USB3 drive and then reference that USB3 location in the first Putty/SSH command of the migration steps to copy back the files for the DSM7 install.

If you have any issues or want another set of eyes to take a look at your present setup before you undertake this, send me a PM and I can do a remote session with you to strategize this.
It would be our please to help you in this way and wouldn't take long.

kandiman

Thanks cayars for the excellent advice and tips. I might take you up on the remote session if I get stuck.

If I was to start from scratch with 4 x 12TB in SHR from your experience roughly how long would it take to build the storage pool/volume? 2-3 days?

Would you start fresh on DSM 6?

If the drives don't contain data and you can format them this will be very quick.  You could likely have have DSM installed and formatting the drives with a new large pool in an hour or so.

If you were to upgrade a drive of that size it will run through a 5 step process that takes about a week to accomplish.

I'd start with DSM 7.01 which is the latest release right now.

kandiman

Ok cool, yes drives will be empty and I'll start with DSM 7.01. I thought starting a new large pool in SHR would take up to a week.

On a fresh install of DSM 7 how would I restore the data from /volume1/Emby I read the installation paths are different on DSM 7

That's the exact path I took, the backup was on a usb attached drive which is how I took all the others out to start fresh. I used hyperbackup to move stuff but I think just a simple copy/move would accomplish the same thing. As far as how long to build the storage pool, my 2x14T were initialized in less than an hour and ready to go.

@cayars, l'll rethink the simple raid vs SHR, I can blow it away and rebuild it again in a few hours at this point. I hadn't really taken into account someday trying to move to larger drives in place uno by uno, that's definitely an advantage. I was thinking more portability as in for example for some reason I decided I might want to switch to QNAP or something along those lines where compatibility would be key. FYI, the SSD cache works fine on straight raid as well, I'm running a pair as read ones, 1 for vol1 (system stuff and pkgs) and 1 for vol2 (all my media) both formatted btrfs.

Edited by bjjones

2 minutes ago, kandiman said:

@bjjoneshow long did it take for the Verification and Parity Consistency Check?

Not sure but not overly long. It runs in the background so you can move on to other things. I reinstalled the few pkgs I use on vol1 and called it a night and it had completed by the morning. I'm guessing start to finish a few hours. Keep in mind these were empty (other than DSM) just initialized fresh drives. Next day I started copying back the media which in my case wasn't much vs @cayars, I was only up to 3T on what was a 5.5T vol on a 3x3T SHR1 storage pool

41 minutes ago, bjjones said:

That's the exact path I took, the backup was on a usb attached drive which is how I took all the others out to start fresh. I used hyperbackup to move stuff but I think just a simple copy/move would accomplish the same thing. As far as how long to build the storage pool, my 2x14T were initialized in less than an hour and ready to go.

@cayars, l'll rethink the simple raid vs SHR, I can blow it away and rebuild it again in a few hours at this point. I hadn't really taken into account someday trying to move to larger drives in place uno by uno, that's definitely an advantage. I was thinking more portability as in for example for some reason I decided I might want to switch to QNAP or something along those lines where compatibility would be key. FYI, the SSD cache works fine on straight raid as well, I'm running a pair as read ones, 1 for vol1 (system stuff and pkgs) and 1 for vol2 (all my media) both formatted btrfs.

I tried both read cache and read/write cache with 2 1TB SSD m2 cards which I have in my 920+.
Read/write cache has definite benefits for Live TV and transcoding where lots of small files are created. I noticed this right away when testing.

56 minutes ago, cayars said:

I tried both read cache and read/write cache with 2 1TB SSD m2 cards which I have in my 920+.
Read/write cache has definite benefits for Live TV and transcoding where lots of small files are created. I noticed this right away when testing.

Thanks, I may assign both of mine to my /vol2 Media files and try read/write, I also have the emby temporary transcoding folder there as well. My reasoning on assigning 1 to read only cache my sys /vol1 is to hopefully have most of the DSM OS files in cache and hopefully be more or less running DSM off the M2 card.

I have everything on one volume (volume1) and have it set for read/write caching.
This will allow Live TV, transcoding to take advantage of the write cache while things like Emby's metadata and cache can take advantage of the read cache.

It's easy enough to blow away the SSD cache and reconfigure it so it's easy to test to see what will work best for you.

There is no right or wrong way to configure the NAS so it's just a matter of trying things to see what you like best!

Edited by cayars

kandiman

Server Configuration Backup Plugin does this also rely on all the library paths to be the same?

Do I need to set up my libraries first before restoring using the Server Configuration Backup Plugin?

18 hours ago, kandiman said:

Server Configuration Backup Plugin does this also rely on all the library paths to be the same?

Do I need to set up my libraries first before restoring using the Server Configuration Backup Plugin?

It does, yes, but you don't have to restore everything. You could skip restoring the libraries, for example just restoring users and then setup the libraries manually.

4 hours ago, kandiman said:

Thanks, can you choose what libraries to restore?

No there isn't that level of granularity yet. Thanks.

kandiman

The only library that will be in a different location will be TV Shows this is currently on Volume2.

When I redo my server TV Shows will be on Volume1, what would happen when I restore everything from the backup and add my TV Shows library path to Volume 1?

They will need to be rescanned again after you change the mount point for that library.

If you saved NFO and graphics to the media libraries you can turn off all meta-provider in the TV Show library and scan it which will use only your current info and make importing a lot faster.  Then when done scanning in this library you put the meta-data back to normal again.