Reinstall server from Volume 1 to a fresh SHR storage pool

kandiman

kandiman

Hey all, my emby server is currently installed to this following path /volume1/Emby/

All my media are located in seperate volumes on a 4 bay 918+ I want to start from scratch and build one SHR storage pool, before doing this if I backup everything from /volume1/Emby/, wipe all the hard drives and create SHR storage pool, install emby server and then copy everything from the backup would all the artwork and metadata stay intact?

Hi, if you do a complete backup of /volume1/Emby and then restore this after you recreate your volumes you should be fine assuming you recreate one bigger /volume1.

kandiman

Thank you for the reply, the users I created and server settings will also be intact? or should I also use the server configuration backup plugin as well?

I'm currently on DSM 6 should I do all of this before updating to DSM 7?

kandiman

Sorry I should be more clear on what I would like to achieve, hopefully this makes sense.

I would like to install hard drives on bay 3 and bay 4, create and start a SHR pool, move the Emby server to the newly created SHR pool, finally upgrade DSM 6 to DSM 7. Is this possible?

Volume 1 - Bay 1 on NAS - Emby server installed on this volume, this also has my movies on there linked to a library on the server

Volume 2 - Bay 2 on NAS - TV Shows are on here linked to a library on the server

Bay 3 on NAS currently empty

Bay 4 on NAS currently empty

kandiman

Volume1 in bay 1 is not in SHR yet, the whole volume is using ext4

I plan to create SHR on bay 3 and 4 transfer data from Volume1/bay1 then delete this volume1 and add it to the SHR

Edited by kandiman

How much space is your current volume1 using?

What size drives are you planning to add in bay 3 & 4?

Yes that will work just fine.  I just wanted to make sure your new volume will have enough storage available to hold your present volume info.

You should be fine.

Let us know how you make out.

kandiman

Thanks for confirming.

So would this be correct, uninstall Emby from /volume1/Emby/, install Emby on the SHR and then copy the /volume1/Emby/ folder to SHR overwriting the files?

I would install Emby and then shut it down so no files are open. Then copy the files, followed by another Emby install over top the copied files. That's an extra step but will ensure all the Emby run time files are the latest greatest for the release you install.

What hasn't been mentioned at all is upgrading to DSM 7. I would plan on doing this as well but this can wait until after you have all 4 bays up and running with your new larger volume.

Yes, technically not needed but I would do it that way for piece of mind as it only takes a couple extra minutes.

kandiman

Stupid question if this is will work, I have a spare DS216j can I remove the hard drives from bays 1 & 2 on the DS918+ and install them on the DS216j?

The two NAS are on the same DSM version DSM 6.2.4-25556

Edited by kandiman

That's getting into more of a tricky situation.

How many drives do you have in your primary NAS and how many drives in the secondary NAS?

What type of RAID is used on each NAS?

kandiman

Primary DS918+ has 2 drives both formatted in ext4 so drive 1/bay1 has movies drive 2/bay2 has TV shows.

Secondary DS216j will be empty with no drives in there.

kandiman

That's correct I want to move the 2 drives from the DS918+ to the DS216j so the Emby server will be running on the DS216j for my users and I'll start building the SHR pool on the DS918+

Do you have everything backed up on those two drives?
If so you could try it but I wouldn't try this if you don't have things backed up, just in case!

Theoretically, I believe you can do this.

kandiman

Yeah I have everything backed up on external drives. I thought someone might have tried this before, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens

It should work but I just wouldn't want to be the one to say "yea do it" and then have it mess up your discs without a backup. :)

Before you do this uninstall Emby on the first NAS.  Then after moving the discs over, if everything appears to function correctly, reinstall the proper version of Emby.

bjjones

@kandiman, I did almost the same thing on my 918+ a week ago when I needed to get larger drives

Since I knew I would end up on DSM 7 at some point and it runs a different Emby server with different paths, etc.I did the following just in case you wanted to think about it.

Backed up my media folder to another drive not in my 1st storage pool. Took out the 3x3T drives I had DSM 6 on in an SHR pool, replaced them with a pair of 14TB fresh drives Raid 1. Installed DSM 7 from scratch on those, installed fresh Emby 4.6.4 stable for DSM 7. Moved my saved media folder back to the now new DSM 7 volume and pointed emby server at that and let it rebuild everything new. I didn't want to do the double upgrade paths on either DSM or Emby if I could start fresh and that's worked out well for me.