ffmpeg Using 100% CPU.

geekinthesticks

geekinthesticks

I have just discovered MediaBrowser and decided to try it out on my laptop. I am using ArchLinux and running the latest version from the AUR repo. I got it installed and setup OK. However, when I try to view a video it won't play. Looking at top ffmpeg is using all my CPU, presumably trying to transcode the video.

If I drag the slider through the video, I can preview the snap shot OK. The laptop is a core i5 with 8GB RAM and I have tried various videos - mostly mp4 either from a GoPro, or transcoded via Handbrake using the Android profile. The computer can play the same videos back using VLC.

I am using Chromium.

What is top saying exactly? When I transcode 1080p/30mbps I get around 250% on top on a 2nd gen I3 which is 62.5% of the CPU. Keep in mind that each core represents 100% CPU in top.

geekinthesticks

I am getting 190-250%, which presumably means that 2 cores are being used. The videos I have tried are all less that 1080p and are 25fps h264. When I try to play the video, I just get a black screen, or the first frame of the video and ffmpeg is churning away in the background.

I have also installed Plex on the same computer and it can play back the videos OK.

Edited by geekinthesticks

I am getting 190-250%, which presumably means that 2 cores are being used. The videos I have tried are all less that 1080p and are 25fps h264. When I try to play the video, I just get a black screen, or the first frame of the video and ffmpeg is churning away in the background.

I have also installed Plex on the same computer and it can play back the videos OK.

That's weird. To be honest, I think it will rack up the same amount of CPU usage unless it's struggling to hit it real-time. The variable is the frame rate its transcoding at.

What device are you using to stream it? Is there any errors in the logs when your hitting the stream?