Recording the US Open

sward

So I ran into an interesting issue with my attempts to record the US Tennis Open. If I record it as a series on "all channels", then it defaults to ESPN SD even though I have removed ESPN SD from the guide (using tags). If I select "channel ESPN HD only", then it misses matches when coverage switches in the evening from ESPN HD to ESPN 2 HD. I tried adding the missing matches manually to the schedule, but it removes them almost instantly from the recording schedule since it correctly identifies matches on ESPN 2 HD as being part of the same series, yet has been told to only record this series on ESPN HD.

This is why I recommended an "HD preferred" option about a year ago, which would address these kinds of issues. At a minimum there should be a manual override that allows you to add such recordings, even though they don't comply with the settings for a particular series. As it stands, I had to re-activate my Channels DVR subscription to record the missing matches.

Hi, you can't remove a channel from the DVR using tags.  You can only remove channels from showing to people using parental controls.

If you have duplicate channels in both SD and HD you will likely want to remove the SD channels which should be easy to do in the Channels menu under Live TV/DVR Setup.  Just remove the green check mark from the duplicate SD channels.

How long does that need to take effect? I unchecked the ESPN SD channels and then changed the series setting to "all channels" and it immediately changed the recording schedule to all SD recordings.

It should do it on it's own but could take a couple of minutes (depending on system).

Run the guide refresh manually just to force the guide update.  When the refresh is 100% done the SD channels should be removed if you removed the green check.

From the client go back to the home screen and then back into the guide and the SD channel should be gone.

OK - I think I found the problem: since I have two tuners, I had to uncheck the SD channels on both of them. Seems to be working now - thanks!

I still think an "HD preferred" option (like in WMC) would be useful as a 'canary in the coalmine' since you would only see SD programs in your recording schedule if there was a problem with the guide. Without this you just wouldn't see the recordings at all. This saved me many times back when I was using WMC.

Yes that could be useful and a lot of DVRs have that but with Emby and it's ability to transcode, it's almost always better to remove the SD channels keeping only the HD channels so all recordings are as good as possible.

If a client can't playback the higher resolution media for some reason the server can transcode it down for you.

So Emby is a bit different than many other DVRs in practical use.

He already do HD preferred, it's just not exposes as an option because I would think at this point nowadays everyone will want that.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

He already do HD preferred, it's just not exposes as an option because I would think at this point nowadays everyone will want that.

It chose the SD channel vs the HD channel.  This comes up occasionally in the forums as well.