Chromecast with Google TV - Subtitle Issue

benbour

benbour

Hello all. I've recently found that all of my Google TV clients (new Chromecast) do not display subtitles. 

Movie subtitles will show up provided they are already there, but never TV shows. I can download show subs through the app, and even hash matched subs won't show up after being downloaded. If I play the same episode on my android phone, PC, or firestick however, the subtitles will show. 

benbour

I've just sent logs from the Chromecast w/ Google TV using the playback OSD. I started playing an episode of Spartacus that did not have subtitles. I downloaded a hash match version of  the subtitles using the app. The video then refreshed itself to load the subtitles, but they did not show up. I then checked the folder, and they did download. I then played the same episode in my web browser via Windows 10 and they showed up fine. They also showed up using my Android phone. 

Screenshots will show sub file in folder, and subs showing up on other devices

subs.PNG

subs osd.PNG

Edited by benbour

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, ebr said:

(any chance we're dealing with HiP anime here?)

Cloud you show us Media Info section for any of those items? 

benbour

sure thing. It's probably worth noting that I tried this on an Amazon Firestick as well, subtitles do not show up on it either. 

Again, they do show up on web browser and Android phone.

mediainfo.PNG

Show us the Media Info section from the bottom of the detail screen for one of these episodes.

Have you tried again in the Google app after restarting playback after the download?

The subs show as selected, but you just don't see them on screen, correct?

benbour

- They do not show up even after restarting playback

- correct, they download and show as selected, but I don't see on them on screen

benbour

Is there any additional information I could provide to assist with this issue?

Has anyone been able to reproduce it?

2 hours ago, benbour said:

Sent. First log is toggling subs on and off. Second is about 80 seconds of playback with subs on.

Hi. Time and user?

Okay, the local user on your server is "Ben"?

If so, it looks like it is trying to load the subtitle with a file reference.  Do you have the "optional network path" filled in on this library?

benbour

Yup, that's me. Yeah, I do have optional network path, it's set as the direct nfs path to my NAS. I think I set this so I could always direct play? It's been a while...

1 hour ago, benbour said:

I removed the optional path just to test, and the subs now show up.

Excellent.  Thanks for confirming.

Do you have any apps that actually utilize that?

jellis413

I have exactly the same issue on a couple of Fire TV and a fire stick, however my Fire stick 4k seems to work (as well as Emby Theater on Windows machines and web browsers).  This probably started happening a couple of weeks ago (my wife uses subtitles, I do not and she just mentioned it to me last night that it started a couple of weeks ago). 

I will check the remove the optional path work around when I get home this evening to see if it resolves my issue with the Fire TV and fire stick.  Thanks for the info.

benbour
8 hours ago, ebr said:

Excellent.  Thanks for confirming.

Do you have any apps that actually utilize that?

I don't think so? I'm not sure if the function of this has changed over the years, but I seem to recall it being beneficial back when I used Kodi on all my TVs. I just use streaming stick variations throughout my house now (primarily Chromecast with Google TV).

30 minutes ago, benbour said:

Sure. I'll report back once I get it going. I assume I should put the optional network paths back for that?

No, not needed.

15 hours ago, Luke said:

No, not needed.

Well, based on what we found here it would be as, otherwise, you're just testing what works in the TV app too...

• Agree 1