Legacy HDHomeRun not loading

johndc7
Go to solution Solved by johndc7,

I recently purchased an used HDHomeRun (HDHR3-US) and am having some difficulty getting it working in Emby. I am running the latest firmware (20210422) and am able to stream the channels through the normal HDHomeRun app. The channels discover / map in Emby completely fine but when I try to start a stream, it just spins.

I checked the logs and noticed the following every time I attempt to start a stream:

2021-09-03 20:13:46.198 Info LiveTvManager: Opening channel stream from Emby, external channel Id: hdhr_59.1
2021-09-03 20:13:46.199 Info LiveTV: Streaming Channel hdhr_59.1
2021-09-03 20:13:46.203 Info HdHomerunHost: GetChannelStream: channel id: hdhr_59.1. stream id: native_72d210bf628ae41aa30d70d618fb469f_3307926c6e55addad6c974d4519d96f7 profile: native
2021-09-03 20:13:46.206 Info HdHomerunHost: Opening HDHR UDP Live stream from 10.1.3.5
2021-09-03 20:13:46.226 Error HdHomerunHost: Error opening live stream:
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.6.4.0
	Command line: C:\Program Files\emby\system\EmbyServer.dll -service
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.17763
	Framework: .NET Core 3.1.13
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Program Files/emby/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 6
	Data path: C:\Program Files\emby\programdata
	Application path: C:\Program Files\emby\system
	MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException' was thrown.
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.HdHomerun.HdHomerunManager.StartStreaming(IPAddress remoteIp, IPAddress localIp, Int32 localPort, IHdHomerunChannelCommands commands, Int32 numTuners, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.HdHomerun.HdHomerunUdpStream.Open(CancellationToken openCancellationToken)
	Source: Emby.LiveTV
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2021-09-03 20:13:46.236 Error HdHomerunHost: Error opening tuner
	*** Error Report ***
	MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException: Exception of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.LiveTv.LiveTvConflictException' was thrown.
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.HdHomerun.HdHomerunManager.StartStreaming(IPAddress remoteIp, IPAddress localIp, Int32 localPort, IHdHomerunChannelCommands commands, Int32 numTuners, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.HdHomerun.HdHomerunUdpStream.Open(CancellationToken openCancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannelStream(String channelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	TargetSite: Void MoveNext()

2021-09-03 20:13:46.258 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	   at Emby.LiveTV.TunerHosts.BaseTunerHost.GetChannelStream(String channelId, String streamId, List`1 currentLiveStreams, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.GetChannelStreamWithDirectStreamProvider(String channelId, String streamId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvManager.GetChannelStream(String id, String mediaSourceId, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.LiveTV.LiveTvMediaSourceProvider.OpenMediaSource(String openToken, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStreamInternal(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.OpenLiveStream(LiveStreamRequest request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.OpenMediaSource(OpenMediaSource request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.GetPlaybackInfo(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.MediaEncoding.Api.MediaInfoService.Post(GetPostedPlaybackInfo request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.GetTaskResult(Task task)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, RestPath restPath, String responseContentType, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IRequest httpReq, ReadOnlyMemory`1 urlString, ReadOnlyMemory`1 localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

Hello johndc7,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Already followed the instructions for older hdhomerun and the tuners are not in use (I assume that restarting the thing means they are not in use).

Emby is rather new, but historically the Media Portal choice has worked well so you could try that.

When you setup the tuner does Emby show you the channels in the channels menu option under Live TV/DVR menu?

Channels are listed and they map completely fine. The only problem is that when I go to play something, it never loads. I just tried the Media Portal option and it still doesn't work. I don't think it's an issue with the HDHomeRun since I can stream from any other software. As a workaround I could install NextPVR and connect Emby (M3U) > NextPVR > HDHomeRun. I really would prefer not to do that though since it's just a pain in general.

I also went back and tried an old version of the HDHomeRun firmware (20170930) and it still didn't work. So it's not an issue with something getting changed in the firmware.

Maybe I could test on an old version of Emby? I was looking through the GitHub repo but there wasn't a pre-built exe for the last version before anyone mentioned changing something with the live tv in the release notes. Don't really feel like building it myself since it's like 1AM. Maybe I'll try tomorrow if I get bored.

It sounds like you did everything correct.  Unfortunately I don't have an old HDHomeRun to test with.

If you like I could do a remote session with you and try to give you a hand with this.  Maybe we could try installing from scratch again.
Send me a PM and we can setup a remote support session.

• Solution

So I figured it out. In case you come across this again here's what I learned from this.

It seems like Emby connects to the HDHomeRun to request a stream, then the HDHomeRun initiates a new connection back to emby over UDP. So the firewall in Windows (that's usually a bit more strict in Windows Server) needs to be configured to allow the inbound UDP connections. You cannot use an outbound rule since the HDHomeRun initiates a new connection.

The easy way to test if this is the problem is to turn off Windows Firewall and see if it works.

What fixed the problem for me was creating a Windows Firewall rule allowing inbound UDP connections on port 5004. Also, the HDHomeRun does not have to be in the same VLAN as the server as long as there are no other firewall rules blocking the connection. Just note that if it's not in the same VLAN then the config tool won't work but everything else is fine. You can easily get around this by running the config in the same VLAN with your computer then moving the box to a new VLAN with after.

I'm not sure if this applies to the newer devices but maybe it would be helpful to add the part about the inbound UDP connections to the help article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001848798

Thanks for your help :) 

Also it's important to install the HDHR software on the computer running Ember server as well. It can't just be configured on another computer on the LAN but needs that software installed on the same computer running Emby Server.

Ideally you don't want to just open port 5004 but want to open full TCP/UDP for all ports from the IP of the HDHomeRun as different software (config for example) uses different ports during the request to communicate with the HDHR.

These older HDHRs don't have a GUI to show signal strength so enabling/disabling channels that don't have good enough signal strength is a matter of trial an error. You can enable/disable channels in the Live TV/DVR Channel List menu as needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 18:49, cayars said:

Also it's important to install the HDHR software on the computer running Ember server as well. It can't just be configured on another computer on the LAN but needs that software installed on the same computer running Emby Server.

Ideally you don't want to just open port 5004 but want to open full TCP/UDP for all ports from the IP of the HDHomeRun as different software (config for example) uses different ports during the request to communicate with the HDHR.

These older HDHRs don't have a GUI to show signal strength so enabling/disabling channels that don't have good enough signal strength is a matter of trial an error. You can enable/disable channels in the Live TV/DVR Channel List menu as needed.

Sorry to hijack this thread......

I have three of these HDHR Dual tuners and I currently use tvheadend and that streams the m3u that Emby liveTv then uses.  I tried emby native when it first came out years ago, and then again months later after a few more betas but always had issues with tuner locks etc etc.  My posts are there in the past somewhere where Luke I I went through it.

Emby native could also not use a single tuner to record all the mux transmissions either - which I assume is still the same?

I always had in the back of my mind however that I would re-try this native support at some time - but the statements about installing the Silicon dust software to your emby machine worry me - as I use a docker container for emby - so that can never happen...... Shold I therefore forget every trying this and keep my current system ?

If it's working well for you through TVH then leave it as you won't really gain anything by switching at this point.

Yes Emby will not be able to make use of the whole mux with a single tuner.

6 hours ago, vaise said:

but the statements about installing the Silicon dust software to your emby machine worry me - as I use a docker container for emby - so that can never happen

I do not currently have the HDHR software installed on my emby server and it works fine. I also have my HDHR in a separate VLAN from the emby server and it works fine. I would imagine that using docker would result in a similar problem to what I was experiencing and would require you to at least forward UDP 5004 to your emby container. This would be because the emby container would be using the host's IP and docker wouldn't know where to route the HDHR connection.

But as cayars said, there's really nothing to be gained by doing that (except for eliminating the whole m3u deal and maybe a little bit of fun).