Live TV keeps session open after Roku disconnects.

Alternative311
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Alternative311

Hey Guys,

So we tend to watch local news at night 11pm est. When it starts we setup a sleep timer for hour later. I happen to open the Web, and noticed below. It also filled up my Transcode folder 1tb SSD. Any tips on how to stop this once the Roku releases the session? Let me know which Log to upload, the day it started the session or the day I killed the session?

image.png.a466be931a97617eedc87b0ca06c4b06.png

• Solution
Happy2Play

Yes this is a known issue for Rokus, if you do not back out of the stream there is no stop command sent to the server.  Have you enable "Are you still watching" on the client yet? 

Alternative311
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes this is a known issue for Rokus, if you do not back out of the stream there is no stop command sent to the server.  Have you enable "Are you still watching" on the client yet? 

Yes, we let it kill the session or select to keep watching. Good to know, so kill the session before going to sleep.

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Alternative311 said:

Yes, we let it kill the session or select to keep watching. Good to know, so kill the session before going to sleep.

Are you saying the option did not stop the session then?

Alternative311
15 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Are you saying the option did not stop the session then?

It does stop the session, if we don't select anything while the TV is on. Once the TV turns off, I am assuming it does not come back, then keeps the session open

If the TV is off the client can't prompt you.

Curious, how are you starting the news?  Do you start it from the channels menu or from the guide entry?

Alternative311
1 minute ago, cayars said:

If the TV is off the client can't prompt you.

Curious, how are you starting the news?  Do you start it from the channels menu or from the guide entry?

Channel Guide Menu so if it asks, we don't select anything it will take us back to Guide menu.

Happy2Play

So powering off the TV is no different then hitting the Home button on the remote.  The server has no idea the client is no longer active and you have a rogue session that runs until you notice it or run out of drive space.

@LukeI thought there was something server side to catch this rogue session? @ebr @speechles