Hardware Transcoding on a QNAP-TS873A

vyper013

vyper013

Hi all,

I have just install an Nvidia card into the NAS and have been running Emby for a while with very little issues etc.... I am looking to offload some of the hardwork from the CPU so I can use it for other things (need to do some other VM work etc....).  it is they Ryzen 1500b CPU (Quad core/ Eight thread).  there is plenty of grunt and I only transcode 2-3 streams at once most of the time so not too bad.  Problem is couple of my workloads will need the CPU grunt also and don't want to kill others enjoyment!!  :)

anyway.... I installed the card, installed the Nvidia drivers and can see it perfectly well in the control panel.  I have set it to QTS mode, it says HW Transcoding is enabled, Yet when I go to Transcoding-->advanced in Emby I get blank on the Encoders/Decoders??

I am using the official 4.6.4 version from the Website.

any ideas please??  I am happy to try things / provide details I may have missed??

Thanks

• 1 month later...
CHA0SENG7NE

Interested if this is a better path to take, thinking of upgrading to this with a graphics card for video encoding....

Hoping Emby supports this

vyper013

hey mate.....

in the end I got it working... though a little fiddly if you reboot the NAS often.... I don't so its ok for me.

basically all I do is after a reboot, I go and check Emby has seen the card on boot (open the transcode menu and change it from Auto to Advanced - if you see options its there!!).  If it hasn't, I stop Emby within the Emby console.  Then shut down down the app in the Qnap Console.  Then fire it up again.  usually this help Emby recognise the card!! it has got more stable on the latter versions of QTS (on 4.5.4.1800 and I don't think I have had to do this for a while)

image.png.ddfd8248c77f081ad65da2f9495b12a7.png

FYI I have a Quadro P400 in there.  Technically not a supported card but works well.... tested locally I have been able to transcode 5 streams at once and only just be knocking on 50% GPU util and no significant CPU (from Emby).  I gambled that it would work as I wanted to be able to put a GPU and a 10GBe card in the box... now I have both its a beast... 

CHA0SENG7NE

Spot on

I was hoping this would be the case as this is a nice spec NAS without breaking the bank. 

I dont reboot my NAS only when it has an update.

All the info has me sold now. Thanks

I think it supposed to support a 1050ti and a 1650 graphics card. Not sure which is best for encoding?

Cheers

mate

vyper013

yeah.... the 1050 is not "supported" for QTS mode and the 1650 is a double width card......   I was gonna do the 1650 and physically unsolder the DVI port to make it a single width.  But the P400 was a quarter of the price and was worth the gamble....  it works for me... (as you can see!!). 

just make sure you grab one with a full height back plate (most Quadro cards are workstation/server cards)

CHA0SENG7NE

Perfect 

Sounds like a good plan.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is it a separate chip that handles the encoding on the graphics card...???

These are the ones from the website that are supported apparently.

MSIGTX1650 4GT LP OCHD Station / Linux Station / Hardware Transcoding / Container Station / Virtualization Station0 Likes

ZOTACGAMING GeForce GTX 1650 LP 4GBHD Station / Linux Station / Hardware Transcoding / Container Station / Virtualization Station1 Likes

ASUSPH-GTX1050TI-4GHD Station / Linux Station / Hardware Transcoding / Container Station / Virtualization Station

vyper013

yeah... the list has changed from when I looked at it a couple of months ago..... it is currently:

image.png.938cd51e2c0f3bab84f4a0e2f61472a5.png

pretty sure the 1050 never used to have Transcoding on it..... and the 1030's weren't on the list.....   Like I said earlier I ahave the Quadro P400 and have no issues with transcoding what soever....   the 1030's will crush a P400 so if the only thing you want is transcoding for Media... I would go with a single slot card... keeping the second PCI slot free for "other" things....  It would have been the only reason to get a CPU with an iGPU.... but the intel versions are just way too much more...... the P400 was £70 (so around USD$100)....... and is perfect for my use!

Although... the 1030's don't support HW transcoding do they!!!  BOOOOOOOOO........ 

Edited by vyper013

CHA0SENG7NE

Well i was wondering if it can change a 4k hdr to 1080p, its not a biggie but very interested.

That would be a usage scenario for me. 

vyper013

yeah... that I Cant help with... I don't have 4k media..... I currently use a 1080p projector sooooo have no need for it!! sorry mate!! so I can't comment on the P400 in that scenario!!

vyper013

ok.... I lied!!! 😀

I have a 4k HDR video....

details as:

image.png.bcca800ec37df41cce09c1acd2848882.png

its been playing for 3-4 minutes....  

image.png.08eb4c531419e11778eb7593d5ebfc25.png

image.thumb.png.53ff0215e3e31de1079eb9b99457bb1a.png

the first part I had throttling (transcoding) turned on.... the second part I did not.... as you can see the memory utilisation didn't change (VRAM).  but the GPU was more solidly hit. 

based on this... I wouldn't go the P400 if you want/need to transcode more than one stream of 4k into 1080 simultaneously (that was down to a 6MBit stream).  I generally only do 1080 streams for remote users - who generally transcode down to lower MBIT or even down to 720 if they are far away (I have users in Australia and I'm in the UK... so latency is a bitch).

for me this card is strong enough.... but depends on your use case... though now it has been updated... I may look for a low cost 1050..... there is no competition 

https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-Quadro-P400

CHA0SENG7NE

WOW THANK YOU THATS AMAZING, APPRECIATE THE INFO AND HELP!!!!!!!!!

Great to know it does work though and yes i think its worth getting the more powerful card for my personal needs.

This also settles the NAS I will buy next.

Cheers

vyper013

mate.... I was waiting/looking for information like this!!  happy to provide it if asked!!!  hope it helps others along the way too!!

• Like 1

CHA0SENG7NE

Its not very often this happens for me so pretty happy right.

Im sure this will be very useful for many people.

A few things: 

1) A 1050ti would work perfectly fine (well, as far as the buggy nvidia driver recognition goes at least) and have the exact same performance as the P400 on pretty much any QNAP.  The compatibility list is just a list of GPUs they have tried, but that does not mean you are out of luck if you buy something else.  Pretty much any Nvidia GPU will work fine.  As I said, between the P400 and the 1050ti, the 1050ti would maybe have a very small edge but I really doubt it would be noticeable.  Get the cheapest one.

2)There's one thing about the original post that is weird. 

On 10/6/2021 at 8:56 AM, vyper013 said:

hey mate.....

in the end I got it working... though a little fiddly if you reboot the NAS often.... I don't so its ok for me.

basically all I do is after a reboot, I go and check Emby has seen the card on boot (open the transcode menu and change it from Auto to Advanced - if you see options its there!!).  If it hasn't, I stop Emby within the Emby console.  Then shut down down the app in the Qnap Console.  Then fire it up again.  usually this help Emby recognise the card!! it has got more stable on the latter versions of QTS (on 4.5.4.1800 and I don't think I have had to do this for a while)

image.png.ddfd8248c77f081ad65da2f9495b12a7.png

FYI I have a Quadro P400 in there.  Technically not a supported card but works well.... tested locally I have been able to transcode 5 streams at once and only just be knocking on 50% GPU util and no significant CPU (from Emby).  I gambled that it would work as I wanted to be able to put a GPU and a 10GBe card in the box... now I have both its a beast... 

It should be clarified that out of those 5 streams at once, only 2 (maybe 3 depending on driver version) have been using the discrete GPU.  You can check that in the dashboard, but the drivers are limited to 3 transcoding streams (2 in the older drivers) for that card.  Every consumer card is limited to 3 transcoding streams and if you want to have unrestricted streams (meaning, as much as your gpu would be able to handle anyway) you need to go Quadro P2000 or higher.  

There is a way in Windows and Linux to hack the drivers, but the patch won't work in QNAP NAS because of a) the weird location of the drivers and the way it handles those drivers and b)something weird is going on with the "sed" command.

I have managed to manually patch the drivers for my Quadro P1000 card though and I'll make another topic explaining what I did so people can replicate that.  

Edited by Ikario
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
jang430

Hello.  This only works for Emby server installed in QTS mode?  Does this work with Emby server container for Docker?  I assigned it to Container station, and went into Emby server container, advanced, and trying to assign video card to the Emby server container, but it's not recognized.

Ikario

Hey, just to let you know there's this post on running emby using docker and having HW transcoding that could help you out. I wrote it myself so feel free to ask for help either here or through DMs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jang430

@Ikario I looked at the instructions and was quite blown away hahaha.  I am unfamiliar with the other things to do there.  

I did find another way though.  I downloaded qpkg of Emby for Qnap.  I installed it, though it says it's not officially supported, but I went through with it.  After install, It did work, and it sees the P400 GPU I put in my Qnap.

Ikario

Well yes, that's literally how the post starts, in bold letters and I quote:

If you manage to install the app natively, in my case it detected both Quicksync/VAAPI and NVENC/DEC without messing with it, so this is WAY easier.

My guide was made for people trying to pass the gpu to the docker container, something that you said you wanted to do, never said it was the easier way, quite the contrary actually.  I'm glad you have it working.

• Like 1