Migrating Emby to new Windows Build

Robnaeyaert

Robnaeyaert

Hi Emby

Quick question. I’m going to reformat and reinstall Windows 10 and I wanted to know if there is a simple way to preserve all my Emby setup including remote users etc so I can easily get it back to how it is currently?

just looking for a good way installed of rebuilding Emby and all user accounts etc. 

Thanks in advance. 

MBSki

Yes, just copy the entire Emby directory and save it on a separate hard drive. When you're done with the upgrade, don't reinstall Emby, just copy the Emby folder back to the original drive and double click the Emby exe. That's it! 

One tip too, you might want to put your Emby directory somewhere else other than the user folder. That way it's easy to get to and back up.

Edited by mbarylski
  • Like 1

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, mbarylski said:

Yes, just copy the entire Emby directory and save it on a separate hard drive. When you're done with the upgrade, don't reinstall Emby, just copy the Emby folder back to the original drive and double click the Emby exe. That's it! 

One tip too, you might want to put your Emby directory somewhere else other than the user folder. That way it's easy to get to and back up.

Just a reminder, though: keep your libraries paths same. 

• Agree 1

Robnaeyaert
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

Just a reminder, though: keep your libraries paths same. 

thanks guys for the pointers. 
so followup questions

(1) where is the default directory that I need to backup?

(2) will this method bring all the remote users settings so I don’t need to set them up again?  I have around 8 friends with access. 

thanks again

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, mbarylski said:

Note depending on how old this install is as a old install could have a database without token paths so location can be relevant.  But this would be a really old install.

18 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

%appdata%\Emby-Server (ie C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server)

18 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

(2) will this method bring all the remote users settings so I don’t need to set them up again?  I have around 8 friends with access.

Yes as this method maintains all the databases.

Edited by Happy2Play

MBSki
16 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

It's been so long since I moved it, I can't remember exactly where, but I believe if you put %AppData% in the Windows Explorer location bar you'll find it.

16 minutes ago, Robnaeyaert said:

Yes, but you can try it before you completely wipe your computer. Stop the Emby Server. Then, find the directory and move it outside of the user folder to something simple like C:\Media. Once in C:\Media, start up the executable, go to the same URL that you normally would to view your Emby Server, and verify that everything is there. 

MBSki
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

%appdata%\Emby-Server (ie C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server)

That's it! I was close. 😁