Add to Play Queue button plays the video immediately

csimon

In the Android app on my tablet (Google Pixel C with Android 8.1.10), if I set the Play On to the instance of Emby on my Roku stick and then select a video to play on it with the Play button then while it's playing, browse to another video and add it to the queue with Add to Play Queue or Play Next, the second video replaces the currently playing video and starts playing straight away instead of being added to the queue.

Server: 4.6.4.0
Emby Android app: 3.2.05

20 hours ago, csimon said:

if I set the Play On to the instance of Emby on my Roku stick and then select a video to play on it with the Play button then while it's playing, browse to another video and add it to the queue with Add to Play Queue or Play Next, the second video replaces the currently playing video and starts playing straight away instead of being added to the queue.

Server: 4.6.4.0
Emby Android app: 3.2.05

You have posted this in the Android Mobile section. The Emby app on Roku does not support a queue for video at this time. You cannot play a video then browse to others as it plays with a small player in a corner. The Emby app on Roku does not support a small video player and browsing at the same time. The Emby app on Roku does not  support building a queue for video items at this time either.

Can you elaborate on which platform has the problem and what you want us to do?

Edited by speechles

The app I am reporting is the Android mobile app, not the Roku app.

I am simply using the Android app to queue videos to play on the Roku app. I assume it's the Android app that maintains the queue? Or does it pass over queue handling to the receiving instance of Emby?

If the Android app is suppsoed to be handling the queue then the add-to-queue buttons are not working properly and I'd like it fixed.

If however, it depends on the receiving instance of Emby to handle the queue then maybe it's the Roku app that needs a request to handle queues from a control point. Presumably sending video to a DLNA device wouldn't work either?

Edited by csimon

I'll come back in another couple of years then to see if things have improved! Was hoping that I could move to Emby from JRiver for a "Music Video Jukebox".

Do you have any other suggestions for being able to queue videos from a  mobile to play on a TV? Is there any device that the Emby mobile app can pass queue-handling duties onto correctly?

Edited by csimon

You are using the "Casting" to the Roku? Unfortunately the Roku only has PlayNow available using that method. There is no queue method for casting yet either. We apologize.

33 minutes ago, csimon said:

I'll come back in another couple of years then to see if things have improved!

Cynical? Or sarcastic? Lol.. that was a joke right? The Roku app needs a major facelift to make it look more like Android TV and fix the navigation issues. That won't take a couple years either. LOL. :)

Well, it was a jokey comment, but just reflecting on the fact that it seemed that adding a whole queue facility to the Roku app (or indeed moving the queue duties to the controlling app) would not be a weekend's work! Moving to the controlling app is an idea actually - because I assume sending to a DLNA device wouldn't be able to handle queuing either.  Yo're completely dependent on the receiving app to handle queueing, which may not be an Emby device.

Yes, I'm using the Play On button in the mobile app to cast to the Roku.

I've just thought - my TV is LG, I didn't actually try the Emby LG app as a receiving instance on that. Is the queuing faciltiy missing from that too or just the Roku?

Edited by csimon

@csimon The LG app probably has the full gambit of queue available. The Roku app has to have custom built components. It cannot use the Emby API library like other applications. Everything must be custom built that makes use of the Emby API. It is easy enough to extend. Apologies the Roku isn't there yet. :)

pünktchen
1 hour ago, csimon said:

... moving the queue duties to the controlling app ... is an idea actually

Imho it's a bad idea, because it means the controlling device has to be always on.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other really! Advantages and disadvantages both ways. There's also a deeper view of how you regard this type of client/server, control point/renderer, casting/streaming/handoff mechanism. It depends how you look at it and what you want it to be.

I suppose this is the difference between using the TV interface to browse/watch movies and using it as a "jukebox", whether for music or for music videos.

I currently use JRiver as a music and music video jukebox (great for cataloguing, categorising, browsing, controlling other devices), but moved over some time ago to Emby for movies and all other miscellaneous videos (better TV interface, better video compatibility, more platform and TV independent).

The JRiver server runs on the same machine as my Emby server, however the "clients" are different. All the queues for every device you're playing to from any mobile app are handled by the server, which of course is always on.

There are therefore three places where you could maintain queues!

1. The central server
2. The control point
3. The renderer

Each has its own advantages and disadvantages and sometimes one device can fulfil more than one function, i.e. how "thick" you make it.

I see what you say about the controlling device has to be on, but actually it also means that you're not dependent your TV or renderer device being "thicker". Emby apps are widespread over a whole range of renderers so it's mostly OK, except of course in this case where one app doesn't have all the facilities that all the others do. And also DLNA renderers, and any other non-Emby casting devices, are not going to be "thick" in terms of Emby queuing.  Where it gets confused though is that Emby apps are indeed "thick" by design. They're all full Emby player implementations, not just renderers or control points, and that's their main function.

I've been able to verify now that the queuing function works properly when playing to the Emby LG TV app, but not to the Emby Roku mobile app nor to DLNA devices.

• 2 weeks later...