Video transport controls bar appears underneath Android navigation bar

csimon
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

In the Android app on my tablet (Google Pixel C with Android 8.1.0), if I set the Play On to the instance of Emby on my Roku stick, and then select a video to play on it, a transport control bar appears at the bottom of the tablet screen. However, it is displayed underneath Android's own navigation bar therefore cannot be accessed. Trying to touch one of the transport controls or the playlist icon, results in the Android navigation button being selected instead. A lot of apps cause the Android navigation bar to slide out of the way when the app is in fullscreen and allow it to be brought back with a swipe.

See attached screenshot.

Server: 4.6.4.0
Emby Android app: 3.2.05

Screenshot_20210830-215348.jpg

Edited by csimon

• 3 weeks later...

I reported similar behavior with audio controls and an Android phone.

In my case, it seems to occur only when I'm using Emby in offline mode.

• 3 weeks later...

No, I'm afraid it hasn't worked for me. Hoping I've installed the above file OK - asked me whether I want to update the existing app, keeping all existing settings, and I replied OK. The app is showing me version 3.2.17, whereas it's 3.2.12 on another device that I haven't updated.  But I'm still getting the same overlaid controls issue as in my first post.

• 8 months later...
csimon

Just coming back to this, I still have this problem. My current versions are:

Emby Server: 4.7.4.0

Emby Android app: 3.2.51

1 hour ago, csimon said:

It's now updated to 3.2.52 but the problem is still there.

Can you show a new screenshot? Thanks !

csimon
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Can you show a new screenshot? Thanks !

The symptoms are exactly the same as before, the play bar is behind the Android controls and cannot be accessed.

Screenshot_20220626-193731.jpg.93b5aa3c697c40f1078b10ac547d1724.jpg

csimon
6 hours ago, Luke said:

@csimon what version of the android system webview app do you have installed?

Hmm, well...

The app does not appear in the Apps list in the device Settings nor in the app drawer.  It's a Google Pixel C tablet, Android 8.1.10.

In Play Store the Android System WebView app shows as Disabled, although it says in "about this app" Required OS: Android 6.0 and up, compatibility: Works on your device.

I don't know of any way to enable it. However, I believe it's disabled by default for Android versions 7.0 (Nougat) and above anyway as Chrome takes over rendering for the entire system.

https://wethegeek.com/how-to-enable-disable-android-system-webview/

For the Chrome app, it says version 103.0.5060.70 is installed.

OK I think it's something related the older version of android. Looks like the technique we're using is only available in api >= 28.

• 3 months later...

Hi - does this mean it's not going to be fixed for older versions of the API?  Although I'm intending to use this for remote control of videos on a TV from the Android device, I assume this is also happening for music playback too. Can you not do something like place the transport bar and button to the playlist somewhere else on the page, e.g. at the top, above the filter buttons?  Or make the bar double height and leave what would be the bottom line empty?

Edited by csimon

It just means we have to figure something else out. Is this the only place where it doesn't look right?

It happens everywhere as far as I can tell. The Emby app displays full screen but the Android navigation buttons appears across the bottom as an overlay and they don't disappear.  For example, any media browser screen, the TV Guide, the app settings screen. However, it's only problematic when you've got something on that bottom line that doesn't move.  The App Settings screen doesn't extend down as far as the bottom line so that's OK.  Media browser screens and the TV Guide scroll, so that's OK.  But video and music playback controls are fixed at the bottom of the screen behind the overlay and you can't access them. Similarly, soemone posted early in this thread a metadata editing screen where the Save button cannot be accessed.

Other full-screen apps, e.g. Youtube, either leave room at the bottom for the overlay and don't display anything in there, or when you're playing a video in full-screen, the overlay slides out of the way and you can bring it back for Android navigation by swiping up from the bottom.

Edited by csimon

What I mean is that if you click the bar to go to the now playing screen, does that screen look normal?

Can you also provide a server log? That will tell me more about the webview being used on this device. Thanks.