Recordings created with admin rights/ownership

sward

For some reason Emby created recordings last night with admin rights/ownership. This poses a problem as I don't typically log in with admin rights for security reasons. Why did this suddenly change?

Hi, What OS do you run Emby on?

Can you show us the permissions you see for the recording?

I'm running Windows 10. My regular user account had full access permissions to these recordings, however the ownership was under the admin account. I changed ownership on the directories to the regular user account so I could delete them after editing the raw recordings.

Emby doesn't set any permissions on the files, so it depends primarily on the user account that is running Emby Server. Does this answer your question?

Per instructions on the Emby website, I used NSSM to launch Emby as a service which logs onto the local system account. It's been running this way for more than a year, and I've never encountered this behavior before. I rebooted my machine and am hoping this was just an anomaly. Will let you know if recordings continue to be created with admin ownership.

Actually it just occurred to me that I'm in the middle of recording the US Open which started today. Upon inspection the new directory is once again owned by the admin account. Why is this happening all of a sudden?

1 minute ago, sward said:

Actually it just occurred to me that I'm in the middle of recording the US Open which started today. Upon inspection the new directory is once again owned by the admin account. Why is this happening all of a sudden?

I can't explain this as it's specific to your local environment, but it will match the credentials that the server is running under. In your case that would be the credentials that the windows service is using. You could try not running as a service and see how that compares.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't believe I can run Emby as a regular user. That's why I run it as a service, else I would have to stay logged in with admin rights on a machine that's on 24x7 and connected to the internet, which is an unacceptable security risk. Again, something changed and I'm just trying to figure out what.

You don't/shouldn't be logged in as an admin ever for general use.  You use a regular/normal account.

What you need to change is the owner of the DVR folder. Make sure to allow it to change permissions for all files and folder under this directory.

Yes, that's been the case all along, but for some reason sub-directories for new recordings are now being created with admin ownership. Root directory still belongs to regular user account.

Yes but for some reason you will need to reset it and allow all children of the DVR folder to inherit.

• Like 1

kanipek

I have seen this issue crop up from time to time. For no apparent reason. In all cases is has been Windows 10 - some are remedied by closing the file explorer and reopening. In a few cases I had to reboot to get rid of it. Don't ask me to explain it that's just a peculiarity I have seen in Windows 10 from time to time.

This is still happening despite multiple reboots and resetting ownership at the root directory and all children to the normal user.

Yup, I followed your instructions to no avail. It's interesting to note that if a recording is created in an existing directory which is owned by regular user, then any new recordings to that existing directory will be owned by the regular user. If however a new directory needs to be created, then both the new directory as well as any files therein will be owned by the admin account.

Why can't you run Emby as a normal user?  Emby does not need to run as a service, nor does it need admin rights.

• Like 1

OK, I was under the impression it required admin rights to run. I will try running Emby server as a regular user and see if that fixes it.

This approach seems to have addressed my issues. I ended up running it as a service, but with the service logging in as a regular user to address issues with scheduled tasks and recordings which otherwise crop up since my HTPC goes to sleep every night.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up going back to running Emby as a service, since not doing so introduces problems with interactions between sleep downtime and recording timers. I furthermore need to run the service using the local system account, else Emby doesn't see my Colossus 2. Doing this brought back issues with not being able to move recording directories into the recycle bin. For some reason I can delete these recording directories permanently without needing elevated privileges, but if I try to send them to the recycle bin it suddenly requires Admin privileges, which means the files will end up in the wrong recycle bin. In researching this a bit, I came across some information indicating that disabling OneDrive can cause this type of behavior, and sure enough if I keep OneDrive running in the background (even though I never use it), the problem goes away, and I can send recording directories and their contents to the recycle bin without triggering a UAC prompt. Would be nice to figure out why OneDrive is impacting permissions on directories created by Emby recordings, so I can disable it once again.