New Library type: "Showcase"

SenatorIvy

SenatorIvy

I've been mulling over a new library type that would be great for a couple different content types that I feel the existing types don't cover properly, such as standup comedy and documentaries, as well as allow for users to make custom presentation arrangements & accommodate for non-standard stuff that might not even be scrapable too.  I call it the "Showcase" type.

In the attached pictures I have made mockups of how this would work.

A library set to this type would collect its contents and then display them in rows similar to how Emby shows the recently added on the web interface frontpage already, with content arranged by the names of the folders that are the first tier in the library.

IE: if the library is laid-out like this:

Library\
-Root Folder 1
--Subfolder A
---FileA1
---FileA2
---FileA3
--Subfolder B
---FileB1
--File1
--File2
--File3
--File4
--File5

-Root Folder 2
--File1
--File2
--File3

-Root Folder 3
--Subfolder 1
---FileA1
--File1
--File2
--File3

The library would be flattened to the first tier, with display scrollers showing:

Root Folder 1

FileA1, FileA2, FileA3, FileB1, File1, File2, File3, File4, File5

Root Folder 2

File1, File2, File3

Root Folder 3

FileA1, File1, File2, File3

(for this example, assume that the files are chronological)

Files in each foider scroller would be listed chronologically, or alphabetically if chronological data is not available.

Some of examples of how this could be used:

Standup Comedy

Allie Wong
Special 1, Special 2

Anthony Jeselnik
Special 1, Special 2

Eddie Murphy
Special 1, Special 2, Documentary 1

Richard Pryor
Special 1, Special 2, Special 3, Documentary 1, Documentary 2, Movie 1, Movie 2, Movie 3
Hallmark Movies

Garage Sale Mystery
Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, Title 4, Title 5, Title 6, Title 7, Title 8, Title 9, Title 10

Jesse Stone
Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, Title 4, Title 5, Title 6, Title 7, Title 8, Title 9, Title 10

Murder She Baked
Title 1, Title 2, Title 3, Title 4, Title 5
SenatorIvy's Library of Random Approved Stuff

Ivy's Top 3
Event Horizon, The Thing, Jaws

Sharktown
Jaws, Jaws 2, Jaws 3, The Shallows, 47 Meters Down, 47 Meters Down Uncaged, The Reef, Tintorera

Family Movies
file1, file2, file3, file4, file5, file6

Ivyland Favorites
Movie 1, Movie2, Movie 3, Movie 4, Movie 5, Movie 6, Movie 7
Documentaries

People Documentaries

Music Documentaries

Movie Documentaries
Wrestling

WCW

WWE

--

Miscellaneous

Safety Videos

Old 80s Garbage Shorts

Faces of Confused Elderly

Hopefully this makes sense and seems like a good idea; I have multiple libraries where this display format would make things much more presentable and easily browsed, as I'm sure others do as well.

New Project.png

2021-08-29 23_41_13.png

2021-08-29 23_41_26.png

2021-08-29 23_44_00.png

SenatorIvy

Whoops, didn't realize it shows the images straight out at the bottom there, so let me clarify them just in case.

The first is a mockup of how the library in picture 3, which is made of 1 folder (picture 2) whose contents (picture 4) would be displayed in the interface.  Sorry for it being out of order, lol. :)

GrimReaper

Can't you achieve almost same in Folders view? 

Just add those folders as separate paths in your Library settings, i.e. not the root Hallmark folder but those nested underneath.

GrimReaper

To me it seems more like you need a subview of Folders view - rather than new Library type - where folder structure would be flattened and presented so, like on Home screen. 

Personally, I would prefer resources devoted to other areas, but you might as well get some traction here and get things rolling, we all have our own preferences, I would just not like main Library view to be interfered with, no more granulation, and any additional views to be incorporated into existing tabs or new ones introduced (although, tbh, that Tabs area is already overcrowded and I reckon some sort of customizing it should be introduced before adding additional tabs).

SenatorIvy

I mean, I don't see what the issue would be with having another library type? It wouldn't be a replacement for the existing view at all, just an option of how a library's content can be displayed directly.  Anything like a change to folder view/etc is just a bandaid on this idea as-is, because it would require more interaction from the user than what this is.

Like, "mixed content" gets a separate view mode from normal, and it really just ends up being "movie view, sans titles" for whatever reason.  This showcase library type would allow for a lot more customization of presentation for all types of content. Like a functional catch-all that isn't just "ok we're at a loss on your crazy collection, so here's a dump folder" haha.

I almost feel like the differences in library types on creation being hard-set is a bizarre choice, as view types could be separated from content type, but presumably it's also linked to "where do we scrape for info for this library?"  which seems like something that could also just be set via checkboxes in a library's settings.

GrimReaper

Sure, as I said, go for it, it's a valid request, although to me it just seemed like a Folder view with contents brought one level up listed as section per each folder. 

Didn't quite get that one on Mixed-content library view, what's missing there? 

• Agree 1

SenatorIvy
GrimReaper

You likely have Horizontal mode enabled (even though you should have Titles along the bottom edge of that page), switch to Vertical on Home Screen settings and you'll have Titles underneath the posters (and you'll be able to switch between the tabs). Library type doesnt play role there. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

SenatorIvy

Yeah I have horizontal mode enabled because it looks like the screen does on the page for emby theater.  Vertical mode looks like garbage & loses the entire appeal of the app, just making it look like the normal web interface.