SOLVED - Multiple Episodes in a Single File

FrostByte

FrostByte

Is it possible to have the app display multiple episode #s in a single file like the web client does?  Several shows such as Extant have aired two episodes in a night thus I have two episodes in a single mkv file.  In the web client a file named s01e07e08 - Title1, Title2 would be displayed as S1, E7-8 - Title1, Title2.  However, in the app the second episode # is ignored and gets displayed only as S1, E7 - Title1, Title2.

Web client screenshot:

54045f52f0d19_Extant.jpg

• Like 1

chessdragon136

In truth I've never even tested multi episode files! I tend to just rename them to the lowest number

I'll look into it, but to display both titles may take up a lot of room in some views. I need to see how it works as it is a LOT of work as on almost all my pages i will have to check to see if it is a double! 

CBers

In truth I've never even tested multi episode files! I tend to just rename them to the lowest number

I'll look into it, but to display both titles may take up a lot of room in some views. I need to see how it works as it is a LOT of work as on almost all my pages i will have to check to see if it is a double!

No need to show both episodes, just show the multi-episode name.

That's really a non-standard naming convention. I'd try to split the file in half to name it according the the program's expected file name.

As long as it meets the multi-episode naming convention for MB3, then it should be OK.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Not non-standard by any means. MBS supports it, as do Media Center Master, XBMC, and others. I've got several series like this, some that are 5 or 6 "episodes" per file because of how they are split up in TVDB (Animaniacs, Rocky and Bullwinkle, among others).

FrostByte

Ya, I figured if the web client can do it then maybe the app could also.  The Samsung app already shows the different titles correctly, it just chops off the multiple episode #s.  In my pic from the web client above the two titles are separated by a comma which also is how it's displayed in the app (I'm sure almost any method of stringing the multiple titles will work though and I'm sure there is a limit to the character length that can be displayed with multiple titles).  The app just doesn't show the episode #s after the first like the web client does

FrostByte

Not starting a religious war.  I've been doing Media Center PC's for 15 years and it's the right advice IMO.  

Given that the it was 2 separate episodes (not part a and part B) on TheTVDB, it really should be split up in the OP's example.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=272127&seasonid=526514&lid=7 

So, hopefully the OP has learned that there are indeed more than one way to skin a cat when 2 episodes are combined incorrectly (but only one which will have the episode file named correctly with the correct title).  You can leave it as its and use and "acceptable exception" method to resolve...or fix the issue at the source. 

TEHO

Whether I split my file or not, this is still a standard supported by MBS and it would be nice if the app supported it for my case or for the examples others have given

Spaceboy

Not starting a religious war.  I've been doing Media Center PC's for 15 years and it's the right advice IMO.  

Given that the it was 2 separate episodes (not part a and part B) on TheTVDB, it really should be split up in the OP's example.

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=272127&seasonid=526514&lid=7 

So, hopefully the OP has learned that there are indeed more than one way to skin a cat when 2 episodes are combined incorrectly (but only one which will have the episode file named correctly with the correct title).  You can leave it as its and use and "acceptable exception" method to resolve...or fix the issue at the source. 

TEHO

well maybe the problem is you are stuck in the past then?

WAW

• Like 2

CBers

@@AgileHumor - As long as it meets the multi-episode naming convention for MB3, then it should be OK.

As you can see from the web client shot in the OP, it is recognised and accepted by MBS.

The OP was asking if the Samsung Smart TV app could cater for this.

That's all he asked, nothing more. I think you went a bit OT, but not a problem as the information was correct, but not relevant to the OP.

Have a nice day :D

FrostByte

@AgileHumor, you Sir are so far off it's almost funny.  Since when are DVRs considered torrents?  That technology is probably at least 10 years old and can easily make/convert to mkv today.  Like mentioned by others there are some DVDs/BDs which are released with multiple episodes mashed together so having this option would help a lot of others also.  Oh, and I also have a legal copy of DVDFab in case you wanted to stop by and check it out or swing by and see me on their forums.  MKVs aren't just for pirates any more and I prefer the format and is supported by a lot of hardware/software today.

I merely made a feature request and yes the developer can either ignore it or add it to the bottom of his long list of more important things he could do with the app.  However, the code is already out there and being used by others apps so it really may not be that big of a deal, I don't really know and it's not really your decision to make either.  The format is nothing new and supported already by MB so I'm not seeing your whole point here.

I'm very well aware I "could" split it, that is something you didn't have to tell me and wasn't the point of my OP.  However, splitting could become very cumbersome on some released media with numerous short titles as others have mentioned.  Now please let CD decide what he wants to with it, I'm just trying to make a suggestion to make the app a better product here for everyone.

@@CBers, thanks. you're right on the $$