Move from WMC to HDHomerun - guide data question

happpyg
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

happpyg

Hi All,

I have a long running Windows 7 box running Windows Media Centre purely for Live TV using ServerWMC plugin.  I'm looking to retire this PC and move to a HDHomerun. 

I'm based in Australia and my question is does the HDHomerun get guide data over the air like WMC currently does and if so does Emby see this too (Digital TV in Western Australia supplies guide data over the air, no need for xml guide sources) or do I need to look to use a 3rd party xml guide data sources to import guide data when I switch?

Thanks!

Sammy

Emby's included guide data does not include Australia unfortunately. The next gen TV solution will read the epg data from the stream IIR but that is a slow go as there's only so many developers and other things seam to always take priority. There is an option to use epg123 without WMC present with SchedulesDirect which costs $25 a year for guide data to generate the xmltv file for Emby's use though. I quit WMC two years ago when I updated to Win10 and couldn't be happier. The current LiveTV solution is pretty good and (eventually) it will be even better when the next gen TV solution gets finished (it's close but no cigar).

• Solution

@Happyg Check out https://www.xmltv.net/ for free guide data for most of Australia that works very well in Emby.

Do you see your region on that list?  If so you can use that with the HDHomeRun.

• Thanks 1

Sammy
17 minutes ago, cayars said:

@Happyg Check out https://www.xmltv.net/ for free guide data for most of Australia that works very well in Emby.

Do you see your region on that list?  If so you can use that with the HDHomeRun.

Well I guess I need to get out more! I did not know this. Is there anything similar for other parts of the world?

happpyg
17 hours ago, Sammy said:

Emby's included guide data does not include Australia unfortunately. The next gen TV solution will read the epg data from the stream IIR but that is a slow go as there's only so many developers and other things seam to always take priority. There is an option to use epg123 without WMC present with SchedulesDirect which costs $25 a year for guide data to generate the xmltv file for Emby's use though. I quit WMC two years ago when I updated to Win10 and couldn't be happier. The current LiveTV solution is pretty good and (eventually) it will be even better when the next gen TV solution gets finished (it's close but no cigar).

Thanks Sammy, so do you mean the next generation of Emby will be able to do this direct from the Stream or HDHomerun itself which Emby could then take advantage of?  I'm not sure if even HDHomerun by itself has this ability as i've not bought one yet to test?

happpyg
17 hours ago, cayars said:

Thanks, yes my region is there but coming from using xml imports before we finally got digital TV with embedded guide data i'm not really keen to go back that way again when MCE & ServerWMC have been working so well with the built in guide data.

Cheers!

happpyg
46 minutes ago, cayars said:

I'd suggest trying it as it's working quite well for many other people.

Thanks, i'm keen but don't want to spend a couple of hundred $ to then find out I have to go back to importing guide data again paid or free when what i've got right now works great.  I'm just looking to retire a PC running 24/7 purely for live TV/Guide and trying to find out if HDHomerun is able to get the guide data over the air/embedded like WMC can now and then if that is true if Emby can use that data or will in the future.

Cheers!

Honestly the XML route is the way to go as it will provide a fully guide experience.

What is sent/transmitted is minimal compared to what an external guide provider will provide.

Sammy
7 hours ago, happpyg said:

Thanks, yes my region is there but coming from using xml imports before we finally got digital TV with embedded guide data i'm not really keen to go back that way again when MCE & ServerWMC have been working so well with the built in guide data.

Cheers!

I thought this too at a time before realizing that I really needed to upgrade from Win7. At first I used the ServerWMC plugin but then used epg123 to get xmltv guide data but then I just went with Emby's guide data because it became included at no cost. I really didn't notice a difference in what I got with ServerWMC, epg123 or Emby's native guide data. You should at least give it a whirl. Also, there is a way to extract guide data in xmltv format directly from zap2it but since it isn't legal to do this I'll leave it to your own vices.

Edited by Sammy