Security Section + Shoutbox on Emby Website

DJkhaled
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

DJkhaled

This should be easy enough to do, a security section here on the website for people wanting to have knowledge on securing their servers etc... Also a shoutbox for users to chat live why is that not already on here imo it is a must just saying. I'm sure everyone agrees 100%

A shoutbox instead of irc is the best so people can live chat with one another.

The login page should also not allow the usernames to show, I know it looks cool add a cool picture for each person etc and people have the option to hide it but it should be removed completely in the next update. Knowledge is power and most users have no idea what goes on behind closed doors so to speak. Bring all this to the front so users with little knowledge of what goes on when it comes to hackers are aware. Security section with a shoutbox would be perfect.

Edited by DJkhaled

DJkhaled

I wrote a small script with a dictionary tossed in an ip block and in 5 minutes I have login on 2 servers, just saying.

DJkhaled

This guys post got me thinking and he's right!

I logged into some guys server loaded with family pictures and loads of home videos the security for emby needs to be taken more seriously.

• Solution

Hi.  We have a KB article on securing your Emby server already.

Secure Your Server

As for chat, we had a chat function on this site enabled for a while but it really didn't get much use and just confused people as they thought they could get support there.  We cannot monitor a chat for support but do respond to all items in the forum.

Thanks.

tomnjerry74

IMO shout boxes on forums are unnecessary clutter and defeat the purpose of a forum. If the community is popular it’s just going to get flooded with garbage.

As far as a dedicated security section, that’s definitely a good idea. Although I don’t really see why you’re bruteforcing accounts just to prove what’s already been well-established for years. Of course poor passwords aren’t secure. On top of that, did you really think it was necessary to dox the guy, publicly posting his user, pass, and personal content?

tomnjerry74
3 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We have a KB article on securing your Emby server already.

Secure Your Server

This looks like it’s just for setting up SSL, which - if I’m understanding the OP correctly - would merely be one of many other security measures that could be discussed in a dedicated forum section.

A basic reverse proxy and SSL provides 0 protection against brute force.

• Like 1

@cayars can improve the article to talk about the basics of good passwords (and having passwords period) - perhaps with a link to the plethora of information that probably already exists on that subject.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...